Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 12:35 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times

Advertisements

I've been shopping for a vacation home for us up in the mountains so we can escape the dreadful Phoenix summer heat. I've found a reasonably-priced manufactured home that, from the pictures, seems well-maintained but you can never be sure just from photos.

What issues might there be with a 20 year old manufactured home? Thanks for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2021, 01:14 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,460,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I've been shopping for a vacation home for us up in the mountains so we can escape the dreadful Phoenix summer heat. I've found a reasonably-priced manufactured home that, from the pictures, seems well-maintained but you can never be sure just from photos.

What issues might there be with a 20 year old manufactured home? Thanks for any replies.
I don't have any personal knowledge of manufactured of pre-fab homes in this country, but I know that in Germany they are sold and some have a great reputation. I have been in many of them at model home centers and saw some great work done.

Closer to home, here's what This Old House has to say on the subject. California-based builder Blu Homes is mentioned:

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/2101883...me-of-the-year

Old 07-25-2021, 02:11 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
There are many where I am that are that old and even twice that. Current condition varies depending how well they were kept up.
Past prime, sure. So might be a stick built. For instance, a 20 year old roof is a 20 year old roof regardless of what it's on.

Old 07-25-2021, 05:10 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:

Durability and forgiveness of settling/movement, water leaks, excess wear and tear are less with manufactured homes.
If it was properly set up on a foundation, maintained well, and not abused, it is probably OK.

But... You must see it to really have a clue. Of course, that applies to any home.

old_cold is right.
A 20 year old roof is still a 20 year old roof.
Likewise HVAC and water heater and appliances.
But, all are replaceable, and may be worth it if the house is in particularly good condition.

Old 07-25-2021, 07:38 AM

Sounds like it might be a good idea to hire an inspector if we get serious about this.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...8404484_zpid/?

Old 07-25-2021, 07:48 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Sounds like it might be a good idea to hire an inspector if we get serious about this.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...8404484_zpid/?

You want an inspector who has experience in HUD-Code manufactured homes.

I wondered if this was a HUD-Code manufactured home or a modular/residential code home.
It is HUD-Code manufactured, formerly known as a doublewide.
Look at the two photos linked below, at the far left bottom corner, just above the hose faucet.
The red tag definitely signifies a HUD-Code home. We used to call it the "HUD Tag."

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...pid/?mmlb=g,19

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...zpid/?mmlb=g,1

That is not necessarily a bad thing. It is just knowing what you are dealing with, and the hoops you may jump through for financing.
I suspect your lender will want an engineer's letter confirming proper permanent foundation.

Actually, nice photos. Seems nicely set and maintained. I see good possibilities.
And, yeah. 20 year old roof that is likely 20 year shingles.

Old 07-25-2021, 10:42 AM

Thanks so much for that info. HUD-Code led me to the Cavco site where they talk about how these things are made.

I've only been in one manufactured home. It seemed all right. My mother-in-law bought it new and had a site prepared in my sister-in-law's pasture. She lived there four years before passing.

We tried to sell the home, but no one wanted to transport it to another site. I can only imagine the expense.

Thanks again!

Old 07-25-2021, 11:33 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
If the house has had routine maintenance it will be fine. I had mobile homes made in the 70's and they were absolutely fine.

Manufactured homes are more fragile than site build homes and they need care.

If it is located where it snows, you could look for damage from ice dams. Other than that, a regular home inspection as a condition of the purchase.

Just about now, that home shouldn't cost much more than the lot it is on, plus all the cost of developing that lot, which can be a pretty tidy sum, depending upon what had to be done to prepare the lot, put in drives, utilities, landscaping, foundation.

If that is in a park where you are renting the site it is one, a 20 year old manufactured home should be pretty cheap.

Old 07-25-2021, 11:35 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
I just remembered. My son bought one that had not been maintained and no one cleared snow off the roof and the weight of the snow bent the rafters. That made low spots that resulted in puddles on the roof. If water does not run off the roof, you will get leaks.

That was only one home and it had been badly neglected for years, so it probably isn't something to worry about. Just be aware. Roofs are not as strong as roofs on site built homes..

Old 07-25-2021, 11:41 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,834,185 times
Mobile home parks can prevent the sale of mobile homes after they reach a certain age. They can only be removed/replaced. This happened in California. Not sure if it could apply in your situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate