Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 03:50 PM

62 posts, read 53,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
You cite an article about a California statute but your profile has a zip code for NH. If you are in NH, the CA statute won't do you any good.

Here's an article about NH.

https://alfanolawoffice.com/road-law...private-roads/

Either way, consult an attorney or build your own bridge.

If he is in CA then he is screwed no matter what he does. The law probably requires him to rebuild two bridges, one for each, conduct a 500k environmental assessment that will take 10 years to get cleared, and hire only disabled minorities to construct it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 05:59 AM

6,561 posts, read 7,143,122 times
How big is the stream? How far down is the stream from bridge? Could bridge be taken out and turned into a driveway driving over the stream?

Old 08-04-2021, 11:25 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,588,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Maybe if the vacant lot owner isn’t interested in forking over anything, cabin guy should rebuild the bridge entirely on his property. That’ll teach him.
Agree. Then charge the other guy a toll every time he uses your bridge.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:56 AM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
A lot of this can be determined if the bridge is a shared access right of way or a private bridge. I am not sure if the OP had established that. Either way, it still won't be cheap or easy to resolve.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:14 PM

6,870 posts, read 4,873,766 times
When you bought the property was their any agreement about the bridge? We have neighbors with an easement to use our driveway, but the had to sign a road maintenance agreement with us.

I knew a person long ago that, when flooding wiped out their bridge, used a flatbed from a train as a bridge. It was cheaper than building a new bridge. Other details I do not know.

Old 08-04-2021, 02:40 PM

6,561 posts, read 7,143,122 times
OP watch on Amazon Prime The Grand Tour Lockdown episode that came out last week. They use a floaty bridge to get across an ocean bay. This would work perfect, only use it when actually there and pull it on land when not. As long as the embankments on both sides isn’t steep. If it is, try and find an old military bridge that could be plopped down.

Old 08-04-2021, 02:57 PM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
I don't recall, but did the OP identify what state/county/city this is in ?? Might find someone more familiar with the area and/or rules/restrictions.

Old 08-04-2021, 04:05 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,229,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
That's what I was thinking. Get your road or dozer guy to look at it first, and see if you can build a new crossing just enough to the left or right to be totally on one property, and not down the middle. If the road guy says it's doable, then go to the other owner, let them know how much to repair, and let them know if they don't want to spend it, you will build a new bridge for yourself.

One thing that may enter into all of this, is the associated numbers. We don't have any idea if you're talking about a $10,000 repair, or a $100,000 repair. Below some level, the costs don't matter (just do it), above some number you need to have a plan.
yes....this sounds reasonable. If they don't want to chip in for the repair, look into rebuilding it entirely on your property.

Old 08-04-2021, 05:00 PM

45,420 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
yes....this sounds reasonable. If they don't want to chip in for the repair, look into rebuilding it entirely on your property.
As mentioned, though, where the property is located will determine the viability of that. Technically waterfront property owners here in Maryland can build a pier. Reality is that it takes a minimum now of ten years to secure the permits so people just don't bother. The hangup is in the State agencies.

We have Natural Resource Police in this State who are anti-hunting so nothing is a surprise.

Old 08-04-2021, 05:04 PM
KCZ

4,677 posts, read 3,671,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I don't recall, but did the OP identify what state/county/city this is in ?? Might find someone more familiar with the area and/or rules/restrictions.
I believe the OP is in NH, in which case for anything greater than very minor repairs, he needs a wetlands permit from the State DES Wetlands Bureau, which is an expensive and arduous process. He will be told by them what he is allowed to do with the bridge. Our opinions count for nothing here.

"A Wetlands Permit from the NHDES Wetlands Bureau is required for excavating, removing, filling, dredging or constructing structures within the following areas:
...Surface waters, including the beds and banks of streams, rivers, lakes, ponds and tidal areas."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate