Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 04:25 AM

162 posts, read 181,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
At any time have you or any of your siblings asked the agent "why?"
My oldest brother is the "go-to" person with the agent (whom he selected), and I don't think he's gotten a satisfactory answer (yet). I'll have to step out of my "little sister" role and ask her myself. Things get complicated with sibling dynamics in a lot of situations -- and especially so with land sales (based on my extremely limited experience).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2021, 07:50 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,974,961 times
If you want to go to the closing go the closing and let the agent and attorney know you'll be attending in person.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:54 AM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times
I gave my attorney my POA for the closing. I was out of state and didn't want to be bothered.

Old 08-02-2021, 10:09 AM

6,471 posts, read 10,335,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I gave my attorney my POA for the closing. I was out of state and didn't want to be bothered.
There will always be exceptions to the rule and that is fine, as long as you trust the person designated as POA. As to the OP, I am not convinced that they feel very confident and I would be hesitant as well.

Old 08-02-2021, 10:47 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
We have bought two properties from 2000 miles away. They have these things called ”FAX machines”. They sign, FAX to you; you sign, FAX to them. Easy.

You don't go handing out POAs.

”Actually attending the closing is an idea that hasn't been welcomed by the realtor and SSRE...”

Huh? Big red flags there, buddy! You get on the horn and tell them ”I AM going to be there. And I AM going to read every.single.word. of every single document, and if there's 10 cents difference in what you told me the money was going to be, and what it is, I'm outta there.” Discouraged from attending the buyers closing, of the property YOU are buying, with YOUR money? No freaking way. That's the absolute surest way to make sure I'll be there! I dunno what kind of shenanigans they may be trying to pull, but I'd sure be watching for them.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
We have bought two properties from 2000 miles away. They have these things called ”FAX machines”. They sign, FAX to you; you sign, FAX to them. Easy.

You don't go handing out POAs.

”Actually attending the closing is an idea that hasn't been welcomed by the realtor and SSRE...”

Huh? Big red flags there, buddy! You get on the horn and tell them ”I AM going to be there. And I AM going to read every.single.word. of every single document, and if there's 10 cents difference in what you told me the money was going to be, and what it is, I'm outta there.” Discouraged from attending the buyers closing, of the property YOU are buying, with YOUR money? No freaking way. That's the absolute surest way to make sure I'll be there! I dunno what kind of shenanigans they may be trying to pull, but I'd sure be watching for them.
We're the sellers, not the buyers -- and I'm fine not going to the closing. I just don't understand why the listing agent would want me and my three sibs to give her POA.

Old 08-02-2021, 12:36 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie56 View Post
We're the sellers, not the buyers -- and I'm fine not going to the closing. I just don't understand why the listing agent would want me and my three sibs to give her POA.

I can see having all the siblings agree on ONE signer amongst you. That would simplify things, assuming you are all in agreement on all the terms. Absent some difficulty where no one cant get there or get somewhere to sign... I'm just not sure why it should be the agent, and not one of you siblings.

It probably isn't a big deal, it's not like it gives this person wild power they can run away with, I'm just wondering why it was brought up at all. And now that it's been made a big deal.. I would either have all the siblings sign, or appoint one of you to sign for all.

Old 08-02-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I can see having all the siblings agree on ONE signer amongst you. That would simplify things, assuming you are all in agreement on all the terms. Absent some difficulty where no one cant get there or get somewhere to sign... I'm just not sure why it should be the agent, and not one of you siblings.

It probably isn't a big deal, it's not like it gives this person wild power they can run away with, I'm just wondering why it was brought up at all. And now that it's been made a big deal.. I would either have all the siblings sign, or appoint one of you to sign for all.
It now looks like we might all drive there from our respective cities and sign (with PoA from spouses who don't want to go). We're trying to get the date pushed back, since we haven't yet seen/approved the survey that the buyer had.

The reason they were pushing for us all to do the paperwork in advance was explained by an assistant of the Single Source Real Estate Service. She said the documents have to be to signed prior to closing, so that they can be recorded at the Register of Deeds at the courthouse.

"Once we have recorded then we can cut and distribute checks. Delaying signing until closing will delay the recording. Which will in turn delay cutting of checks."

Old 08-02-2021, 01:41 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
OK - That might also be true here... sellers often sign a few days before closing, so as soon as the buyer signs and funds, they can run it to the county.

But there's nothing saying you can't all go early. Changing who it is who signs doesn't really change that.

Old 08-02-2021, 02:42 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,662,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Understatement of the millennium!

Scamming people is not funny, unless you are a commissioned salesperson, just more personal attacks.
Experience with them has taught people need to exercise extreme care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate