Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 09:27 AM

200 posts, read 175,328 times

Advertisements

Curious to hear what the consensus is with this question and the why behind your answer. We live in the SE where we can justify either purchase.

Would you :

A) put in an inground pool in the backyard ($60-80k) even though we have a community pool ( I personally hate communities pools)

or

B) Invest in solar ($17k after incentives) and have a 8-10 year true ROI on the cost.

or

c) do both
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 10:10 AM

10,976 posts, read 22,014,951 times
I've yet to see the numbers make sense to justify solar panels. I'd avoid them until the cost comes down.

The pool adds value but you won't get your money back on it. If you have disposable income and want one, go for the pool. It's what I'd do.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:17 AM

200 posts, read 175,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I've yet to see the numbers make sense to justify solar panels. I'd avoid them until the cost comes down.

The pool adds value but you won't get your money back on it. If you have disposable income and want one, go for the pool. It's what I'd do.
That has been my findings on the solar as well. I really want the numbers to work out but as of now they just don't. Plus dealing with solar companies is like buying a used car in the 80s, its a scummy sales process. One guy tried to hard close me for a $100k quote. LOL....... Kudos for the balls to do that though.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:49 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,515,203 times
I never want to put a pool in myself (and instead purchase home with one already constructed), but of the two I'd say the pool is the better choice.

It provides tangible benefit the entire family enjoys, particularly if you have kids.

Additionally, a utility company around here was trying to charge its solar customers a demand fee of 5.15 cents/kwh during peak times, negating the benefit of using solar. That measure was struck down by the utility's board, but I wouldn't put it past utility companies trying that again.

Solar panels just don't do enough for me to justify spending the money.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:58 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,698,764 times
Both are money losers. I know one person who uses thier pool enough for it to not be a huge pain in the butt. They are like a convertible car, awesome at first but soon after you wish you would have bought something else.

I would pick the solar panels.

Old 07-26-2021, 12:38 PM

10,976 posts, read 22,014,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Both are money losers. I know one person who uses thier pool enough for it to not be a huge pain in the butt. They are like a convertible car, awesome at first but soon after you wish you would have bought something else.

I would pick the solar panels.
Assuming that if I'm putting in a 60k pool I have the disposable income and the family wants it for enjoyment I'd, in order, go
1-Pool
or
2-Nothing

Old 07-27-2021, 07:24 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,248,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball92 View Post
c) do both
I'd do both if you can afford it. But a pool brings immediate fun, if your family uses it. I've never regretted putting one in. But they cost money, both building & maintaining, so be aware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post

Really? I'm saving about 10% of the final cost of the solar panels, annually on my electric bill. Between reduced usage, and credits back when I over-produce, it's an easy 10%, sometimes more. That's a ROI of 10%, and a ten-year payback. And after that, I'm playing with house money (expected life: 20-25 years).

Sure, there's lost opportunity cost, and imputed interest, and all that yada yada, but really, who cares? I'm saving 10%. Where else do you get that guaranteed?

I bought them when the Fed Tax Credit was 30%. That was essential. I also live in a very sunny area. And I live in a state (Texas) with simple solar rules--whatever I send back, I get credit for. Some states have complex Time of Day rules, payback rules, limits/caps on production, etc etc. That can make it iffy, and complicated.

I'm paying about 12 cents for juice, and get 6.5 cents back, simple as that. No other rules.

Old 07-27-2021, 07:36 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,365,982 times
Two very different kinds of improvements.

No one puts in solar panels because they're fun. You either figure you've got a decent ROI, or you don't. Run the numbers and decide.

A pool is for fun. You won't get your money back when you sell the house. It requires ongoing maintenance and expense. So decide whether you WANT a pool, and if you do and you can afford it, then put it in because you WANT it.

Old 07-27-2021, 07:43 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,002,577 times
Put in a pool and heat it with passive solar. A friend has this set-up.

Old 07-27-2021, 12:11 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,972,999 times
I had a pool for years when the kids were growing up. As they became teenagers they preferred hanging out with their friends to going into the pool. The last year I had it the only exercise I got was cleaning it. If I had to do it again I would get a lap pool with a device that generated a current to swim against. At least that is real exercise.
As far as the solar panels, figure out your ROI and if you plan to stay in the house long enough to realize it. Quite a few houses in my neighborhood have roofs covered with solar panels. My main concern outside of the ROI would be how long they will last. When I bought my current house the HVAC system was new. After just 14 years I had to replace both the furnace and the A/C. I was told that was longer than expected, that 10 to 12 years these days is average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate