Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 12:40 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I'd do both if you can afford it. But a pool brings immediate fun, if your family uses it. I've never regretted putting one in. But they cost money, both building & maintaining, so be aware.

Really? I'm saving about 10% of the final cost of the solar panels, annually on my electric bill. Between reduced usage, and credits back when I over-produce, it's an easy 10%, sometimes more. That's a ROI of 10%, and a ten-year payback. And after that, I'm playing with house money (expected life: 20-25 years).

Sure, there's lost opportunity cost, and imputed interest, and all that yada yada, but really, who cares? I'm saving 10%. Where else do you get that guaranteed?

I bought them when the Fed Tax Credit was 30%. That was essential. I also live in a very sunny area. And I live in a state (Texas) with simple solar rules--whatever I send back, I get credit for. Some states have complex Time of Day rules, payback rules, limits/caps on production, etc etc. That can make it iffy, and complicated.

I'm paying about 12 cents for juice, and get 6.5 cents back, simple as that. No other rules.
You have to keep the house for long enough, and not replace the roof during that time for your numbers to play out. So often, from what I see as an agent, they've not worked out for the seller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 01:12 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
"Invest in a pool or Solar Panels?"
Neither is an investment. Both are expenditures.

Old 07-27-2021, 02:02 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Solar panels are literally an investment- give up today dollars for a higher future return. A pool, now that's an expense.

Depending on your state, solar can be a fantastic investment. In NY state, where I live, the government incentives and high cost of electricity make the break-even about 5-6 years, and the system continues to perform to warranty specs for 20 years. So you pay $20k today, get that $20k back over 6 years, then get $20k two more times over. That's actually understating the benefit, because the income stream increases as electric costs increase, which happens every couple years. We're over 23.5 cents per kwh now, which is insane.

In states with low cost of electric and/or without net metering, they are a terrible investment.

Old 07-27-2021, 03:25 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
You have to keep the house for long enough, and not replace the roof during that time for your numbers to play out. So often, from what I see as an agent, they've not worked out for the seller.
You are correct. There is much more to the decision than simply ROI. Thanks for pointing that out. And I'm guessing that's why more people don't do it, the future intangibles. And the upfront costs.

In my case, not a problem... no roof, and a long-term property. This was taken right after installation. The grass has grown back green, the postholes are smoothed down, and it looks much nicer. I can't believe I don't have a more recent pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Solar panels are literally an investment- give up today dollars for a higher future return. A pool, now that's an expense.
What ^^^ said. An investment.

As much I as like going green, I would not have done it if not for the investment aspect.
Attached Thumbnails
Invest in a pool or Solar Panels?-img_20191204_173358.jpg  

Old 07-27-2021, 04:51 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
d) neither - you wont get the return.

If was going to do one, do what you want, just recognize you are doing it for yourself - so why ask.

If I had to choose, it would be solar - we don't use our pool very often but use solar every day and the ROI can be justified in many cases.

Old 07-27-2021, 05:53 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
I've had pools in my SFHs and I'd do it all over again.

You get nothing back on solar panels. A pool will sell a house if the buyer is looking for a pool.

I can use my pools all year long in Florida and most of the year in South Carolina.

Old 07-27-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You get nothing back on solar panels.

I get about 10% of the dollars spent back every year, in the form of a reduced electric bill.

How is that nothing back?

Assuming you mean you get nothing back when you sell your house, who's to say? I doubt most people get anywhere close to what they spent, but they probably get something. Maybe a realtor could answer better.

But no on, I mean NO ONE, puts in solar to help sell their house. They do it for money, or in some cases, because they are really green. As Brandon H noted above, you have to keep your house long enough for solar to pay off. If you think you might move within a few years, why do it?

Old 07-27-2021, 07:36 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I've had pools in my SFHs and I'd do it all over again.

You get nothing back on solar panels. A pool will sell a house if the buyer is looking for a pool.

I can use my pools all year long in Florida and most of the year in South Carolina.
Many also don't want the pool - I live in San Diego with a pool that I spend too much time and money maintaining for the amount of use it gets even with kids at home. So when was looking in Las Vegas I bought a place without a pool - preferred to not have one. A pool will also kill a sale if someone doesn't want it.

Interestingly enough, pictures of the LV house on one of the real estate web sites shows a pool in some of the history photos, the place had a pool at one time, someone spent the money to take it out. The power panel also shows it with labels like pool pump and pool heater that are now blanked out.

Just to clarify, solar panels are worth the cost if you will get the value back in reduced bills, not really worth it for recouping if selling.

Old 07-28-2021, 12:08 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Neither a swimming pool nor solar panels are investments. See a financial planner.

On the other hand if you wish to improve the way you live either may be personally, but not financially, rewarding.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
neither... nor solar panels are investments.
Is it necessary for me to refute this every time someone new comes to this thread and says this? Or can I just point to my half dozen posts so far, every single explaining how solar panels are specifically an investment?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate