Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 10:55 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,402,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
What do you have for Internet?

I have (or had) the same problem, and used HughesNet, which I despise. Then about a year ago, a company called NextLink started setting up towers all around this part of the state, in rural areas. Antenna based Internet, but very good. More speed than you need, no data caps, fast and no lag. I think they got some money from a federal program to put broadband in more rural areas. And it worked!
Oh wow that's great!

Thankfully we do have wired broadband- we have two choices and I use Verizon Fios; I could have a landline I just choose not to because the wifi calling works so well. I live in a high cost of living area that just happens to have awful services- no cell reception, no sewer/water/gas, but we're 40 miles from NYC in Westchester county.

I live about a mile from cell reception (blocked by hills).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 03:15 PM

8,179 posts, read 6,929,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Both are money losers. I know one person who uses thier pool enough for it to not be a huge pain in the butt. They are like a convertible car, awesome at first but soon after you wish you would have bought something else.

I would pick the solar panels.
I've had my pool for 20 years now and I've enjoyed every year. I think it just depends on the person. I say go with what will bring you the most personal benefit.

Old 07-30-2021, 11:25 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
This is pretty funny. Not only have you not understood the difference between your false generalization and him relating his personal experience, you choose to double down on making sure that lack of understanding is readily visible to all.

I can explain it for all to see; I regret I cannot understand it for you.

Old 07-31-2021, 06:24 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,236,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Ok, let's keep it simple:

1) You said solar is not an investment. No ifs, ands or buts. You said not an investment.

2) I replied that it was an investment for me. I am getting about a ten year payback. Several others chimed in with similar stories of how it was a good investment for them also. I further stated, as did several others, that solar does not make sense for everyone. But for me, and them, it was an investment.

3) You replied again solar is not an investment.

THAT'S why people keep disputing you.

I offered to drop this line of posting, as I'm sure others don't give a rat's behind. Please let it go.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:06 AM

10,763 posts, read 5,680,240 times
Quote:
You made a generalized statement that requires only a single contrary example to be proven wrong. A single contrary example has been provided, and as such, you have been proven wrong.

QED

Unfortunately, the struggle with understanding lies entirely with you. If you want to keep your lack of understanding at the forefront for all to see, go ahead and continue with your nonsense. I’m willing to play if you are.

Old 07-31-2021, 01:54 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
How much would a nice large in-ground,lap pool cost to have built?

Old 07-31-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Ok, let's keep it simple:

1) You said solar is not an investment. No ifs, ands or buts. You said not an investment.

2) I replied that it was an investment for me. I am getting about a ten year payback. Several others chimed in with similar stories of how it was a good investment for them also. I further stated, as did several others, that solar does not make sense for everyone. But for me, and them, it was an investment.

3) You replied again solar is not an investment.

THAT'S why people keep disputing you.

I offered to drop this line of posting, as I'm sure others don't give a rat's behind. Please let it go.
The title here refers to swimming pools and solar installations as investments without caveats, exclusions or explanation. My first post here referred strictly to that in very general terms and was addressed to no one in particular. You elected to reply specifically to that post, as if your unique situation belied my general statement. In looking back I see nothing you have posted to substantiate your claim of a positive return and see nothing from you or any other poster referring to the opportunity cost of your expenditure.

I don't understand why you and at least one other person cannot separate a general comment from any particular specific example, even with incomplete information.

As I said before, you are free to discontinue your participation at any time; that does nothing to indicate that I am not free to continue to comment.

Old 07-31-2021, 02:03 PM

Quote:
You made a generalized statement that requires only a single contrary example to be proven wrong. A single contrary example has been provided, and as such, you have been proven wrong.

QED

Unfortunately, the struggle with understanding lies entirely with you. If you want to keep your lack of understanding at the forefront for all to see, go ahead and continue with your nonsense. I’m willing to play if you are.
See above - if your mind is capable of being open.

Old 07-31-2021, 03:20 PM

10,763 posts, read 5,680,240 times
Quote:
See above - if your mind is capable of being open.
Whether my mind is open or closed won’t change the fact that a contrary example has been provided that proves you wrong. No amount of explaining or backpedaling on your part will change that.

Old 07-31-2021, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Whether my mind is open or closed won’t change the fact that a contrary example has been provided that proves you wrong. No amount of explaining or backpedaling on your part will change that.
That would be a partial contrary example with no regard for opportunity cost. Even if that was included there is nothing to make it any more than the exception which proves the rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate