Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 02:44 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie56 View Post
It now looks like we might all drive there from our respective cities and sign (with PoA from spouses who don't want to go). We're trying to get the date pushed back, since we haven't yet seen/approved the survey that the buyer had.

The reason they were pushing for us all to do the paperwork in advance was explained by an assistant of the Single Source Real Estate Service. She said the documents have to be to signed prior to closing, so that they can be recorded at the Register of Deeds at the courthouse.

"Once we have recorded then we can cut and distribute checks. Delaying signing until closing will delay the recording. Which will in turn delay cutting of checks."
That makes sense to me, but really it's a semantics argument. Unless I'm mistaken in North Carolina, both parties have to sign to record at the courthouse.

The guy that sold me my house visited the attorney's first thing in the morning. He signed. Then we walked through morning of "closing", and we signed the next day around noon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2021, 03:10 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,750,142 times
I once gave my realtor POA for the closing only as I did not wish to attend. All went well.

Old 08-02-2021, 03:11 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,417,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
We have bought two properties from 2000 miles away. They have these things called ”FAX machines”. They sign, FAX to you; you sign, FAX to them. Easy.

You don't go handing out POAs.
I don't know of any place where FAXED documents can be recorded.

Nonetheless, I don't see any reason to grant POA to a real estate agent. In my many years in the business, I have only been granted Power-of-Attorney once--but that was for a close personal friend. He was moving out-of-state and wanted to make sure that someone could sign on his behalf in case there were any last minute documents that needed to be signed. I probably wouldn't have done that for a normal client.

After the closing I wanted to send him a post card from the Bahamas...but I sent him his money instead.

Old 08-02-2021, 04:52 PM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Scamming people is not funny, unless you are a commissioned salesperson, just more personal attacks.
Experience with them has taught people need to exercise extreme care.
And on this thread, you eagerly give incompetent and/or dishonest attorneys a pass.

Seriously?

Old 08-03-2021, 02:49 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,991,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Scamming people is not funny, unless you are a commissioned salesperson, just more personal attacks.
Experience with them has taught people need to exercise extreme care.
You literrally have every "saleperson" here helping, and you spew drivel while ignoring that. I'd expect nothing less from you at this point though. Ignore the facts that counter your narrative.

For the others, in my experience, it's a limited POA set up by the attorney exclusive to signing the closing docs for the sale. The attorney calls and verifies the info and numbers prior to allowing the POA to sign. However, if you don't trust the agent either go to the closing or get someone you do trust as the limited POA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate