Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 08:49 PM

204 posts, read 145,143 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine just loss possession of a house she was living in to her brother over a will not getting probated here in Cobb county. He won from first will that was written by the mother, leaving all to him though she wrote another for the house to be left to daughter to avoid being homeless. The second will was misplaced and the mother passed away. So for the last year, daughter stayed in home, and the process of going to probate court went up til today. Will never was probated, She's now worried that since he won that he can show up and make her leave at any moment so he can sell the house. Wouldn't the sherrifs have to issue a time frame of departing the house??.

Just some background of her status..

She will have nowhere to go, doesn't have income, due to her health, but has disability case pending in October. She's in her early 50s and was a caregiver to elderly until patients until they past on, but hasn't been able to work last few years. Pretty emotional situation for her. I'm trying to help anyway I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 08:43 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,393,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisjay2 View Post
A friend of mine just loss possession of a house she was living in to her brother over a will not getting probated here in Cobb county. He won from first will that was written by the mother, leaving all to him though she wrote another for the house to be left to daughter to avoid being homeless. The second will was misplaced and the mother passed away. So for the last year, daughter stayed in home, and the process of going to probate court went up til today. Will never was probated, She's now worried that since he won that he can show up and make her leave at any moment so he can sell the house. Wouldn't the sherrifs have to issue a time frame of departing the house??.

She will have nowhere to go, doesn't have income, due to her health, but has disability case pending in October. She's in her early 50s and was a caregiver to elderly until patients until they past on, but hasn't been able to work last few years. Pretty emotional situation for her. I'm trying to help anyway I can.
Contact Atlanta Lega Aid. They can likely help.

Old 08-06-2021, 04:01 PM

204 posts, read 145,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Contact Atlanta Lega Aid. They can likely help.
Curious, How does legal aid work??

Old 08-06-2021, 04:06 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,570,836 times
The attorney who prepared the 2nd 'misplaced' will should have a copy in their files.

Old 08-06-2021, 04:35 PM

913 posts, read 886,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
The attorney who prepared the 2nd 'misplaced' will should have a copy in their files.
This is absolutely correct. Find the attorney who did the second will.

Old 08-06-2021, 04:55 PM

558 posts, read 435,279 times
Quote:
I am not a lawyer, but this situation came up when my aunt died. She had made a will leaving everything to me and my cousin. (She had no children, and her spouse was dead.) The lawyer had a copy, but she had taken the original.

When the original could not be found, the presumption by the court was that she had torn it up. She therefore died intestate.

This may not be true everywhere, but a copy may not be useful.

Old 08-06-2021, 05:20 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,460,415 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
This is absolutely correct. Find the attorney who did the second will.
The OP did not state that the second will (or even the first) was filed with or created by an attorney.

Old 08-06-2021, 05:40 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,161,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
I am not a lawyer, but this situation came up when my aunt died. She had made a will leaving everything to me and my cousin. (She had no children, and her spouse was dead.) The lawyer had a copy, but she had taken the original.

When the original could not be found, the presumption by the court was that she had torn it up. She therefore died intestate.

This may not be true everywhere, but a copy may not be useful.
Correct, in many States (if not all), a copy is not sufficient. It's a good idea to have two originals, one with the attorney, and the other with the person making the will (do not put it in a safekeeping box though!).

Old 08-06-2021, 08:40 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
And it should not have taken a year to realize it

Old 08-07-2021, 06:57 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisjay2 View Post

So sorry for your friend. The brother would have to legally evict her because she can prove she's been living there by showing she gets mail at the house. I hope she has an attorney to help her disability case. That's the fastest way to get it. Unfortunately for her, if she doesn't have friends who allow her to stay, she'll have to go to a women's shelter where she can only sleep at. They kick you out during the day.

It could be risky for friends to take her in without having something in writing that it's a short term stay because if she starts getting mail there, legally she's living there, has to be evicted if she won't leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate