Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 11:50 AM

15 posts, read 12,382 times

Advertisements

Buyer's agent took it too far and I will be filing a complaint against them. There was a mix up in communication about the final walk through and they came 2 days before close. We were scheduled for the day before close. Buyer's agent greeted me but was very surprised we were home in the middle of moving our last minute items. She tells me it's today I show her the email showing it's scheduled for tomorrow. She still insists the that the buyers should get to do their walk through. I told her no. Our kid's were eating dinner and we had sensitive paperwork laid out in the room. She keeps pushing me and I firmly said "it is not happening today I have the email stating the day before close at 6 pm, you can come back tomorrow."

Then here comes the buyers walking up confused and she stays in our driveway right in front of us complaining that I won't let them in the home. So after a few awkward minutes of them standing and talking they leave. Or so I thought. Turns out they all got into the agent's car and parked further down the street and watched us pack the rest of our stuff for close to an hour and disappeared. Finally my husband took off with the last load and I needed to pull my car back into the driveway. I turned around at the top of the street and when I was coming back down they were parked back in front of my home getting out. I pulled into my drive and they quickly jumped back into the agent's car and she drives them to their car two houses down and they leave.

I informed my agent she apologized profusely and has never dealt with this. Then the next day I got a call from my agent. Apparently the buyer's say they saw us loading all the appliances listed in the contract and taking them away. I am so grossed out. I am filing a complaint against the agent for her behavior. This is just so out of line. I regret not getting out this and selling to someone else so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2021, 12:03 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,387,456 times
This sounds like a nightmare we had with the first home we owned, decades ago.

Seems that the buyers lied on their application about their credit history, which was less than exemplary. We found this out well into the process of selling the house (this was in pre-Internet days, mind you.) They hemmed and hawed about being able to complete the purchase, then a family member came in and guaranteed the loan. This pushed things out a good week beyond the original close date.

Fast forward to closing:

We closed on a Friday and possession was set for Monday. We moved out on Friday, pulling out Friday night. We had old kitchen cabinets in the garage from a remodel that we took with us, they were not identified in the contract.

Buyer’s agent calls our agent and makes a stink about wanting the old kitchen cabinets.

We had moved out of state, so the cabinets weren’t going back, and we told them that. Buyer’s agent says they are backing out and won’t record the deed on Monday.

What they didn’t know was that we knew their agent had already given them keys, and they had moved in on Saturday (remember, possession was in the contract as the next Monday.)

We told their agent that they were more than welcome to back out, but if they did we would have a sheriff at the property on Monday morning with an order to vacate.

Never heard another word out of them…

As for cleaning out a house, we’ve always been of the mindset that it should be cleaner than we found it. We’ve never left anything behind and made sure everything is spotless upon our exit. I think it’s just common courtesy.

RM

Old 08-05-2021, 12:37 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
How tacky. Sorry you're dealing with that.

Old 08-05-2021, 01:10 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
It does sound like outrageous behavior on the agent’s part.

Even if she was right and you were wrong she still should have left and handled it politely and respectfully through your agent, not argued in the driveway and not hung out for an hour watching you from down the street.

Good luck with your complaint and keep us posted! I’d be interested to see what is done.

Old 08-05-2021, 01:31 PM

779 posts, read 424,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
We had old kitchen cabinets in the garage from a remodel that we took with us, they were not identified in the contract.

Buyer’s agent calls our agent and makes a stink about wanting the old kitchen cabinets.
Were the cabinets actually installed in the garage? Or just like stacked and sitting in middle of garage clearly not installed?

Old 08-05-2021, 03:12 PM

37 posts, read 18,063 times
I hope the agent gets fired. If I had to tell someone more than 3 times to get off my property a gun would be holstered on my side to make a point. I'm angry just reading this. People are insane these days.

Old 08-05-2021, 03:15 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
wow. Sounds like they were going to enter your house if they saw both you and your husband depart, despite your refusal to not let them come in when they did not have a scheduled appointment.

This is well beyond anything reasonable.

Old 08-05-2021, 03:17 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Welcome to the world of Real Estate sales where we decent agents have to put up with these loser agents on a regular basis.

It's one thing I tell my Sellers it's my job to protect them from Agents and People like this as much as possible. When they first showed up you should have given your agent a call so they could have called Loser Agent and told them to get lost. I've gone over and taken the key or changed the lockbox so no one can get in the house without my approval.

Old 08-05-2021, 05:36 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,948,380 times
No surprise, bad agents are a dime a dozen. We were selling empty house several years ago, Buyers agent asked my listing agent, if I would allow buyers to move in fridge several days before closing as we had taken our fridge and buyers had some dilemma with moving their fridge by closing, yada, yada. I allowed it, big mistake. I came to the house to check if they had moved fridge in, they not only moved in the fridge, but every room had boxes and their furnishings. They also moved their washer/dryer in and scraped the laundry room floor, ugh.

Last edited by chaotix; 08-05-2021 at 05:45 PM..

Old 08-05-2021, 06:30 PM

43,309 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
I'm sure you'll be offended, OP, but I think your actions that day were colored by the fact that you don't like the buyers or their agent. Most sellers try to be accommodating even if it's not their first choice. You could have said, "Give me 15 minutes, please" and cleaned up the meal, hustling the kids out of the house. There will be many other meals, which you know. In that 15 minutes, you could have grabbed up the "sensitive" paperwork.

Or you could have said, "I'm busy packing, but if you want to come on in, I will continue doing what I am doing." The ball would be in their court, then--do the walk through with you there, or come back when they were actually scheduled.

You went with the "letter of the law." And that's fine--that's your right. Hopefully, you will find new buyers fairly quickly since you will be living out of boxes and/or unpacking. But I've always heard that the first offer, assuming it isn't a lowball, is usually the best offer and to work hard to make that offer work.
The OP is firmly justified for expecting the agent and buyers to act like adults, and for the agent to take the lead and keep the buyers under control.
A formal complaint is reasonable, taking the OP's post at face value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate