Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 05:59 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,213,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Define "agreed to it." I've never once had an agent specifically point it out. I've just been presented with the listing agreement(s) with the transaction fee included. And when I've pointed it out each time, I get the standard "oh that's not for me; the agency requires it." And then I tell them that I don't care who or what requires it; I'm not paying an additional few hundred dollars on top of the tens of thousands I'm already paying. Inevitably, the fee gets stricken from the contract. I neither know nor care whether the agent then pays it out of pocket. It's just a garbage fee added because brokers think (and probably know) that most of their clients are gullible idiots who will pay it. I'm in the process of getting ready to list and sell my third property in the last few months so I speak from experience.

I have the same issue with retail car dealerships.
Totally agree. We had a local brokerage that had a $395 transaction fee paragraph printed on the last page of the standard listing agreement so it appeared to be an unchangeable part of the listing agreement. I can assure you, many people being charged that fee did not have it specifically pointed out to them during the listing agreement presentation although their signing of the agreement with the buried paragraph, was them technically "agreeing to the fee".

I would bet my commission check that the elderly seller at my closing this week who paid a full 6% plus $295 did not understand that her agent was taking advantage of her reduced awareness and health.

All consumers reading this, please, Do Not Pay A Transaction Fee. Demand it's removal and like the poster above experienced, it will go away. Do not allow yourself to be ripped off by an unscrupulous agent. In the event your agent is not collecting a commission, some other form of pay may be called for but a fee on top of commission is almost never kosher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2021, 06:09 AM

860 posts, read 438,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The shame of it is when the client first learns about the charge at the closing table and figures the ball is rolling and they may as well go ahead.
Many consumers, and also many agents, struggle with the closing documents.
I’ve had this happen. Luckily the realtor was present because I said, “I never agreed to that and don’t like feeling tricked by having something snuck in that wasn’t specifically disclosed to me.” She knows I own multiple houses and there would be no chance I’d ever hire or recommend her again if she didn’t waive it. So of course she did.

Old 08-07-2021, 06:37 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
I’ve had this happen. Luckily the realtor was present because I said, “I never agreed to that and don’t like feeling tricked by having something snuck in that wasn’t specifically disclosed to me.” She knows I own multiple houses and there would be no chance I’d ever hire or recommend her again if she didn’t waive it. So of course she did.

I would lean towards never using an agent again just because of the attempt to sneak a last minute charge in.

Old 08-07-2021, 06:54 AM

860 posts, read 438,363 times
Quote:
I would lean towards never using an agent again just because of the attempt to sneak a last minute charge in.
I used her for 14 purchases and sales. I had plenty more after that. When I told her I found an agent offering me a 3.5% commission fee v her standard fee of 5% and asked her if she could (not match) reconsider her fee to me due to the amount of business I’d given her she said no. I’ve been very happy with my new realtor, she’s done five sales for me and I referred her to two other investors I know (she charges them 4.5% for the first one and 4% for any more than one)….they are happy too. I had a long term relationship with my previous realtor so tried to stay loyal to her but finally realized that was stupid. The new one is actually better in every way.

Old 08-07-2021, 11:46 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I can see no good reason to add a few hundred dollars as a fee when it could have been included in the percentage. To me, transaction fees are the undercoating, dealer prep and extended warranties of the real estate business. Change my mind.
Smells like them to me.

Old 08-07-2021, 11:50 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
Quote:
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate