Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 10:06 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,570,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Did your Inspector (??) calculate the effects of live loading from snow in your area? If not maybe you should ask your Inspector (??) to do that for you!

I would seriously consider a roof rebuild way before "a few years down the line"! Even though it may have survived previous years are you familiar with "Murphy's Law"??
Inspectors don't do structural calculations for roof loading. That a structural engineer's job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 04:51 AM

3,073 posts, read 8,419,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Inspectors don't do structural calculations for roof loading. That a structural engineer's job.

Gee no kidding? That was certainly a rhetorical question to the OP!

I think you missed my obvious point that the Inspector has possibly failed to take this into consideration and instead is fawning over the efficacy of the ice and water shield install!

Old 08-09-2021, 06:40 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Obviously the incorrect choice of roofing materials since conventional three tab shingles should be a 4 on 12 pitch, while architectural shingles you could go with a 3.5 on 12.

Personally, I would change out the roofing material with a product of your choice that works with the current roof pitch of the cottage.
The lone post addressing the real issue. Even without the settling, shingles are not designed for a 2 on 12 pitch. Repair the structure and then reroof with appropriate roofing which is not shingles.

Old 08-09-2021, 08:14 AM

3,073 posts, read 8,419,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
The lone post addressing the real issue. Even without the settling, shingles are not designed for a 2 on 12 pitch. Repair the structure and then reroof with appropriate roofing which is not shingles.

The 4:12 required roof slope concept is a very old one. Today manufacturers allow (unless otherwise stated) application on 2:12 slopes with additional precautions such as the supposed "ice & water shield" installed on the entire decked surface. These are just some of the common shingle install instructions these days. Each will describe what additional steps must be taken for slopes from 2:12 to 4:12 applications.

Tamko Heritage Model

GAF Timberline Model

Owens Corning Oakridge Model

Old 08-09-2021, 08:22 AM

539 posts, read 241,457 times
I would pass on that house a slopped roof is a deal breaker for me .

Old 08-09-2021, 08:45 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
The 4:12 required roof slope concept is a very old one. Today manufacturers allow (unless otherwise stated) application on 2:12 slopes with additional precautions such as the supposed "ice & water shield" installed on the entire decked surface. These are just some of the common shingle install instructions these days. Each will describe what additional steps must be taken for slopes from 2:12 to 4:12 applications.

Tamko Heritage Model

GAF Timberline Model

Owens Corning Oakridge Model
Thanks for that. Based on past experience, I would still choose something other than shingles on such a low pitch.

Old 08-09-2021, 09:20 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
I'd be concerned, except that the house appears to be old enough that any snow loads that would have crushed it would have done so already. If it were me I'd still want a higher pitch, just to feel better, but to each their own.

Old 08-09-2021, 02:18 PM
KCZ

4,677 posts, read 3,671,743 times
It doesn't matter what roofing you put on that cottage, the snow is not going to slide off of its own accord. People in the north have to shovel snow off their roofs, just like they have to have their driveways plowed. You can hire someone to do it. I do whenever the snow on the roof gets much over 18-20". What you need to know is the strength and integrity of the actual roof, trusses, etc. If they're intact and sturdy, just get the roof shoveled when it needs it. If you've got rot due to previous leaks, you've got a big problem. Did they lay the water and ice shield due to previous leaks? Another question is the amount of insulation under the roof...if you plan to heat it and the insulation is inadequate, not only will you have a big heating bill but you'll end up with ice jams.

Old 08-09-2021, 05:28 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,417,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
It doesn't matter what roofing you put on that cottage, the snow is not going to slide off of its own accord. People in the north have to shovel snow off their roofs, just like they have to have their driveways plowed. You can hire someone to do it. I do whenever the snow on the roof gets much over 18-20". What you need to know is the strength and integrity of the actual roof, trusses, etc. If they're intact and sturdy, just get the roof shoveled when it needs it. If you've got rot due to previous leaks, you've got a big problem. Did they lay the water and ice shield due to previous leaks? Another question is the amount of insulation under the roof...if you plan to heat it and the insulation is inadequate, not only will you have a big heating bill but you'll end up with ice jams.
This is a primary concern. The roof trusses need special attention to make sure that they are structurally sound. It's possible that a newly-shingled roof is just be a cover-up.

Many older cottages in Michigan were built for summertime use and don't have any insulation at all.

Old 08-13-2021, 07:05 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,956,095 times
According to google snow weights around 20lbs a cubic foot. So figure out the footprint of the house, decide if you'll ever see 2'+ of snow fall and make a judgement call I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate