Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 07:37 AM

6,364 posts, read 4,193,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
The lone post addressing the real issue. Even without the settling, shingles are not designed for a 2 on 12 pitch. Repair the structure and then reroof with appropriate roofing which is not shingles.
If the structure needs to be repaired! We obviously don’t know what the rafters are or their span, do we?

It could be a flat roof in snow country and still be properly designed to carry the load.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2021, 10:36 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
If the structure needs to be repaired! We obviously don’t know what the rafters are or their span, do we?

It could be a flat roof in snow country and still be properly designed to carry the load.
I thought OP said it was 2 on 12 but some section had settled to 1 on 12 indicating some structural issue.

Old 08-13-2021, 02:06 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
Looks to me like the roof is way underbuilt and a combination of undersized rafters bending and also spreading the walls apart. At such a low roof pitch the tensile load in the ceiling joists is tremendous just from the weight of the roof decking and roof material. If they're not well attached to the rafters (I question whether there's even enough ROOM for trusses in there) you can get the spreading of the walls. Add snow load to that and you've got a recipe for trouble.

Honestly I'd be thinking about either taking the whole roof off and doing it over, correctly, or passing on the whole thing.

Old 08-13-2021, 05:39 PM
KCZ

4,677 posts, read 3,671,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwiththis View Post
According to google snow weights around 20lbs a cubic foot. So figure out the footprint of the house, decide if you'll ever see 2'+ of snow fall and make a judgement call I guess.
Then Google isn't very smart. Snow weight is proportional to the amount of water it contains, and there's a 3-fold difference (or more) in weight between light fluffy snow and the water-saturated sticky stuff. Anyone who's ever picked up a snow shovel knows this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Looks to me like the roof is way underbuilt and a combination of undersized rafters bending and also spreading the walls apart. At such a low roof pitch the tensile load in the ceiling joists is tremendous just from the weight of the roof decking and roof material. If they're not well attached to the rafters (I question whether there's even enough ROOM for trusses in there) you can get the spreading of the walls. Add snow load to that and you've got a recipe for trouble.

Honestly I'd be thinking about either taking the whole roof off and doing it over, correctly, or passing on the whole thing.
My first thought was to take the roof off and put a second story up there. That cottage looks tiny, particularly if they're planning to use it year-round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate