Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 02:08 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times

Advertisements

For a neighborhood that has Restrictive Covenants in place (they're registered at closing), but no active HOA or any kind of neighborhood leadership after the developer closed on the last lots, how would a homeowner go about requesting a variance to the Covenants?

As an example, the covenants might stipulate that a utility shed can be built in the backyard, but it cannot be larger than 8 x 8 feet. How would a homeowner seek approval to erect a 10 x 12 shed?

In a lot of neighborhoods, you'd submit a request like this to the HOA's Architectural Review Board or the Developer. We have neither. All we have now are the covenants in place saying 8 x 8 feet and submit to the developer for a variance, but he's no longer here and we have no HOA.

In my research, I've read that our covenants are still enforceable by the other homeowners via the legal system now that the developer is gone.

I just can't find any mention of how the variance approval process would work after the developer has left.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 02:28 PM

486 posts, read 653,607 times
Are the restrictive covenants still in effect? I have a rental house in a 55+ community that the covenants were not legally renewed after their initial expiration. There's a group that operates the amenities (pool, etc) but they have no authority over the deed covenants. In Florida you can look it up online. You may need a legal referral in North Carolina just to CYA.

Old 08-09-2021, 02:32 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
you have restrictive covenants in place.
Yes, normally variances would go to a "board" for approval.
You don't have a board.
Therefore, I'd suggest (shy any legislation specifying limitations) you need the approval of every other homeowner that is subject to said covenants.

It would also be a good time to see if the covenants automatically expire at some point, and consider taking action as a group to modify/delete any covenants you were all in agreement on changing/removing

Old 08-09-2021, 03:46 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
I've actually had this situation come up before. Go back and read the restrictions to see what percentage of the lot owners have to agree to any changes or variances.

In my seller's particular case, it was a pool cage found to be partially built within the HOA's easement. Per the community's deed restrictions, we had to get 2/3 of all lot owners to agree to a variance in order to get the issue cleared for the title policy and close on the sale.

The owner, myself and a notary from the seller's law firm had to go door to door several days / evenings to collect enough signatures on forms drawn up by the lawyer in order to file for the variance for the pool cage that had been installed over a decade before.

Most likely you will have to hire a lawyer to help you with this as well.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:07 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
I have been told that covenants are a legal contract recorded as part of the deed. Having an HOA makes it easier to enforce but any one can initiate a court action to enforce compliance with the agreed to covenants. Now some old covenants have been overridden as discriminatory and if you tried to enforce them but ones like restrictions on outbuildings and such can be enforced if someone wants to take it to court.

Old 08-10-2021, 06:34 AM

779 posts, read 423,853 times
Have you talked to any of your neighbors to see if any have already worked through this situation? I'd suspect you aren't the first person wanting to pursue a variance, especially if the covenants are very strict. If your neighborhood/sub has a Nextdoor group you could probably get some input there.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:15 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
For a neighborhood that has Restrictive Covenants in place (they're registered at closing), but no active HOA or any kind of neighborhood leadership after the developer closed on the last lots, how would a homeowner go about requesting a variance to the Covenants?

As an example, the covenants might stipulate that a utility shed can be built in the backyard, but it cannot be larger than 8 x 8 feet. How would a homeowner seek approval to erect a 10 x 12 shed?

In a lot of neighborhoods, you'd submit a request like this to the HOA's Architectural Review Board or the Developer. We have neither. All we have now are the covenants in place saying 8 x 8 feet and submit to the developer for a variance, but he's no longer here and we have no HOA.

In my research, I've read that our covenants are still enforceable by the other homeowners via the legal system now that the developer is gone.

I just can't find any mention of how the variance approval process would work after the developer has left.

Ideas?
If there is no provision for an exception to the rules there IS no procedure. There is no board and there is no architectural review board. And apparently the homeowners like it that way, because they all agreed to it.

You have stated it correctly- any homeowner can choose to enforce the covenants. I suppose you could obtain a written agreement from all the homeowners not to object.

Or just do ahead and do it anyway. Do you feel lucky?

Old 08-10-2021, 06:51 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Yes, the covenants are part of the recorded deed here, so they are in effect. It also does stipulate that another homeowner can take an offending party to mediation and ultimately file a lawsuit against them to remove the non-compliant item.

The neighborhood is a little too big to go door-to-door asking for signatures of agreement from the other homeowners. I think I'll have to talk to a lawyer and see what they have to say.

Thanks for the reply folks.

Old 08-10-2021, 07:25 PM

5,958 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Yes, the covenants are part of the recorded deed here, so they are in effect. It also does stipulate that another homeowner can take an offending party to mediation and ultimately file a lawsuit against them to remove the non-compliant item.

The neighborhood is a little too big to go door-to-door asking for signatures of agreement from the other homeowners. I think I'll have to talk to a lawyer and see what they have to say.

Thanks for the reply folks.
Have you actually read all of the covenants? Do you understand them fully? Usually there is a provision in there for amending the covenants that requires a certain percentage of the current homeowners to agree to.

Also, there is typically an expiration date on the covenants. Have you checked on this?

And one other point is the effective nullification of one or more of the covenants due to lack of enforcement of said covenants against other violators. Selective enforcement is not likely to be effective if it is fought.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:30 AM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
And one other point is the effective nullification of one or more of the covenants due to lack of enforcement of said covenants against other violators. Selective enforcement is not likely to be effective if it is fought.
This would be one of the first things I'd look into. "In effect" does not mean "enforceable" and if there are examples of others violating a specific covenant and it not being enforced, even though the violations are known to neighbors, could work in your favour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate