Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 04:44 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,852,246 times

Advertisements

In looking at the contract for purchase, I note item

2.2.1 (Water heater.)

Please note that the water heater is NOT included in the price of the unit. Plan on buying one, if you want hot water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2021, 07:20 PM

997 posts, read 711,025 times
Do not buy a townhome next door to children. The screaming in the yard, playing in front of your home, is quite annoying to a peaceful existence. That is what I am ongoing through now. My neighborhood was so quiet--then new people with 3 children moved in, and its like living next to a basketball court and playground in front of my home. Also attracts other children in the neighborhood to play in front of your home.

Buy a townhome with a large kitchen and full size deck off the kitchen. My garage townhome has a 2 main rooms on the second floor: A large LR/DR; and a large kitchen with 3 floor to ceiling windows with lots of room for a full size oblong table on one side that seats 8 and also has 8 foot island. The deck is like an extra summer room. This is better than a complete open layout for entertaining. People will congregate in the kitchen but having a second entertaining room allows you to shoo them in there. I have wall TVs in both rooms.

Get one with a garage, you won't be sorry for the extra storage space and protection for your car. Just make sure its big enough to hold a large SUV.

You want to change the plumbing fixtures and lighting--not expensive. Its the layout of rooms that is important. Floors--expensive roof/AC/Heating--expensive

Plus if you see contractor vans and business trucks lining the street and taking up street parking--run. Furniture and belongings dumped in the sidewalk because of foreclosures--run. Usually a sign of a neighborhood in decline

Old 09-07-2021, 09:55 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Maria

Assuming there is a home owners association, an older development might be better if they have their finances (especially Reserve Money) in order rather then a newer development where the builder might be hiding a lot of charges. Older developments allow you to see how the development is looking/being operated whereas one does not know what will happen to the development if new, especially if not sold out.

That said my last two purchases were new builds but I bought in the last 25% and having bought into and understand associations before, I knew what to look for.
I agree. Usually when you pay the fees to the developer, they are much lower than they tend to be once the HOA takes over. It is not unusual to have really low fees of like $120-200 when the developer is taking care of the property and have it shoot up to $400+ after. There are a variety of reasons for this. The common grounds may not be complete if you start in a community in the beginning. If they haven’t completed the landscaping yet, you won’t need to pay for the upkeep or fees for water, etc. Depending on how big the community is and where you are, you may also end up having to pay fees for the bonds to develop the community. In Florida, this is known as a CDD, which is usually paid for a set term on top of the condo fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate