Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 07:05 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,991,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Exactly. The more the OP comes back with more comps, the more he reveals his hand that he wants this home over the others.

It seems to me perhaps you and your realtor need to see if there is a creative solution to the solar panel loan issue. Can the loan be refinanced or are there other ways to increase the net proceeds to the seller?
I need something outside the city limits. The other one is "inside city limits".. Otherwise I would have considered the other one. The layout also does not give us a good option to install a pool that my wife wants. (theres no back door that faces the yard).

If this house was on the west side of the city. I would totally go for it , but its not. You have to drive thru some rough areas to get to the good side. Which we are willing to sacrifice for the market price. Solar panels are not a necessity , and it seems to be more of a burden than a blessing .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2021, 07:12 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,603,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
They’re stuck with this solar panel bill and they’re trying to get you to pay it off for them. I’m seeing the average cost for solar panels for a home as $11-15k, and another website says 11-40k, so $75k seems to be a stretch. I also see that solar panels typically increase the value of a home by 4%. I could see the panels adding $20k to the value, so 515-520k seems about right.

However, in the long run is that extra $35k by going up to 550k going to make or break your decision. We had to bid on our home 2 years ago and ended up going $20k over asking price, which was already listed $10k above similar comps at the time. 2 years later now and I see homes going for $100k more, so that 20k that I was worried about 2 years ago would have been a silly thing to give up our dream house for.

Our biggest factor though was location, a desirable neighborhood. People want to live here and homes here don’t come up very often for sale. If you have similar homes popping up for 50k less and this isn’t your “dream home”, then you might pass on this one. I know I’d be a little ticked off being stuck with this guy’s solar panel bill.

You make a good point about the long view.

However, no one is stuck with anything. The OP can pass.

I was selling a home in the midst of the '08 housing downturn. I would get irate buyers who would show me comps of homes in foreclosure. I would tell them that my home was not in foreclosure so I am not decreasing my price and they should buy those properties. I knew those buyers wanted my home that was on a desirable street (quiet, no through traffic) in a desirable neighborhood (three realtors lived within one block) for "comps." So, even though I didn't have a solar panel loan, I wanted more than "the market would bear" at the time.

I did in fact find my "ideal buyer" an economics professor, no less. She had rented for many years, loved the neighborhood and was willing to pay more. She, like you, took the long view and has profited handsomely.

People need to look at negotiations from both buyer and seller POV and take emotion out of it.

https://taprun.com/articles/what-the-market-will-bear

Last edited by Maddie104; 08-28-2021 at 07:37 AM..

Old 08-28-2021, 07:13 AM

4,621 posts, read 7,543,282 times
Ask to see the seller's solar panel contract because usually things like that contain a clause that states the balance must be paid off if the property title transfers.

Twenty years to pay off solar panels that have a life expectancy of about 25 years, more or less, depending upon climate conditions. Doesn't read as an asset to the property, in my opinion.

Old 08-28-2021, 02:47 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Solar is a funny thing...

Home foreclosed in the neighborhood with massive solar... who knew they had a grow operation and no... it was not in the house but large shop...

Anyway... solar company contracted new owners and said we have a contract... new owner a lawyer and said too bad.

Solar company said they are removing and lawyer owner said that would be trespassing and your window to act expired.

Lawyer said shoot me your best proposal for consideration...

They worked it out and new home owner now owns the system free and clear for pennies...

Old 08-28-2021, 04:54 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,852,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
We put an offer on a house. Its about 45-60 min from where I live now...

They were asking way way way over anything that selling nearby and the comps in the area are around 500k (with several more acres of land)

Asking price was 575 , we offered 515.

They came back and countered and said if they accept my 515k I have to take over their 75k loan they have on the solar panels they installed 2 years ago. 50k + 25k interest = 20 years 340 month. Or they said 550k and they will pay the panel loan off....

They never disclosed this in the listing. I don't see it appraising 550k and I'm not paying for the solar panels.

It has had no other offers and been on the market for 2 months.

Are these people insane? What would you do?

We are standing ground.
Solar NOT owned outright? Pass.

Or, rescind your offer.

Then offer $375K and hope they say "NO!"

Keep shopping.

Old 08-29-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Solar NOT owned outright? Pass.

Or, rescind your offer.

Then offer $375K and hope they say "NO!"

Keep shopping.
We have moved on! Funny! After we told them no to their offer, they dropped the price 25k .

If they come back after it still doesn't sell. Maybe we will counter with 495k

Old 08-30-2021, 09:19 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times
Quote:
We have moved on! Funny! After we told them no to their offer, they dropped the price 25k .

I wouldn't write it off yet. Would be nice to have a house with a good solar system if you can get it for your price. Often sellers need for the market speak to them before they accept reality.

Old 08-30-2021, 12:30 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,387,456 times
Quote:

Exactly.

Not to be a douche, but in a situation like this if the seller came back my original offer would decrease somewhat depending on how badly I was interested in the property.

I had this happen once. Made an offer on a property I was interested in, based on comps in the immediate area. Seller's agent agreed it was a fair price, but the seller had unrealistic expectations. We left things open if the seller changed their minds.

Fast forward about three weeks and the seller's agent (reluctantly) approached me. I made an offer about 5% below the original offer, which I told the agent I was going to do as I had moved on and my interest had waned on this property.

Seller was mad when they got the offer, and let it die by not responding. Property went off the market a month or so later when the listing contract expired. Too bad.

RM

Old 08-30-2021, 09:44 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times
Quote:

LOL greedy sellers at their finest.

I would go back with a lower offer.

Old 08-31-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
LOL greedy sellers at their finest.

I would go back with a lower offer.
Im over them! Even if they came crawling back! They can keep it. Ill wait a year if i have to. Im in no rush to sell my house. Im in the Austin area and will have no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate