Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 04:10 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Avoid section 8. Use something like MySmartMove tenant screening and pull credit, criminal, eviction history. Turn down unpaid tax liens/child support judgements because they can garnish bank accts/wages and person won't have money for rent. Call and get prior rental references. Use prior addresses on credit bureau, google addresses or look up county tax records for owner info, google name/mailing address and get ph# to verify. Don't call # prospect gives you. If apartment complex google ph #. Prospects can give a friend's # and have them give a good (fake) reference.
I will say that many jurisdictions ban discrimination in renting based on how rent is paid (effectively bans discrimination against section 8 renters), but I'd be a fool if I argued that LLs were not still discriminating against this group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2021, 01:18 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,948,107 times
Facebook, Zillow, Craigslist

Old 09-25-2021, 05:58 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I will say that many jurisdictions ban discrimination in renting based on how rent is paid (effectively bans discrimination against section 8 renters), but I'd be a fool if I argued that LLs were not still discriminating against this group.
Most of those who have section 8 won’t meet the income requirements that smart landlord impose.. and I doubt they have a 700 credit score. If you’re making 3x the rent I am asking, you don’t need section 8.

Section 8 tenants are to be avoided for a reason… they’re notorious for trashing their units and the 0.1% of ‘good’ section 8 tenants don’t make up for it.

Old 09-26-2021, 01:29 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Zillow is good, but now charges $10 week — which is certainly worth it.
Is that new? I advertise for free on Zillow. They take care of background checks and even create a lease for me. all for free. I just found a new tenant 3 weeks ago. For free

Old 09-26-2021, 05:58 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,359,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Is that new? I advertise for free on Zillow. They take care of background checks and even create a lease for me. all for free. I just found a new tenant 3 weeks ago. For free
It was the case back in April when I had my last vacancy!

Old 09-26-2021, 06:10 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,552,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
It was the case back in April when I had my last vacancy!
Same here. We had three vacancies this year and it was $10/week each to advertise on Zillow.

As far as finding good tenants, the number one factor for me is credit score. I wouldn't consider anyone with a credit score under 700, although our properties are on the expensive side.

Old 09-27-2021, 09:26 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Same here. We had three vacancies this year and it was $10/week each to advertise on Zillow.

As far as finding good tenants, the number one factor for me is credit score. I wouldn't consider anyone with a credit score under 700, although our properties are on the expensive side.
I think I solved the puzzle.

Zillow lets you advertise and manage one property for free. You have three - therefore you have to pay for the subscription.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:40 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
Call Jamaica Hospital and find out who arranges housing for residents and interns.

Old 09-30-2021, 11:26 AM

2,317 posts, read 1,153,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

I live NYC, one of those jurisdictions foolish enough to ban 'discrimination' against section 8 renters. If your talking about an apartment in your 2 or 3 family home the best way to find a good tenant is through word of mouth. Never advertise in your local newspaper either in print or online.

Old 09-30-2021, 01:19 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,209,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I think I solved the puzzle.

Zillow lets you advertise and manage one property for free. You have three - therefore you have to pay for the subscription.
Correct. I use Zillow on all of my rentals that I manage and the first one was free and the following there is a like a charge of 8 or 10 bucks per week. IMO It's worth it as Zillow is by far the largest RE site. The services like background and credit checks are worth it. If the applicant has a past bankruptcy or credit issue, it will easily show up which for me is grounds for denial. I also strongly suggest you dig into the applicants employment situation. How much are they really making (Ask for proof), how long have they been with the company and such.

The only issue I've had is with first time renters. They seem to want everything and don't understand that even though you don't own the home, you still have to keep up the home. Some think it's like since they're renting, it's like living in a hotel or serviced apartment and they don't have to lift a finger. Long term renters IMO are the best and they know what to expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate