Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 11:15 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,421,974 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm in a dilemma here and need your help.

I'm in the process of selling my home to buy a home in another state to be closer to family. I don't have a mortgage due on my current home till Jan 2023. Our current house has been listed for roughly 20 days now and we have no offers as of yet. We are debating,

1) Proceed to open a HELOC as a second mortgage to buy a house in the other state and move there while our current house sits to sell on the market. Pay off the 2nd mortgage once we close on our current home.

2) Rent the current home

3) Stay put, continue living in this home till we sell as it would be a seamless process within maybe leaseback on current home.

Hope some of you have taken this approach that can provide some guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2022, 11:22 AM

15,600 posts, read 40,524,491 times
1) Most lenders will require that your home not be for sale for a HELOC. You need to do the HELOC as a strategy before your home goes up for sale.

2) How comfortable are you with being an out-of-state landlord?

3) Is it realistic to negotiate a rent back on your home in current market conditions for your area? The rent-back requirement may deter some buyers.

If you were going to use home equity for your downpayment on a new home, you need to chat with a lender to confirm you will qualify for the second loan with your home as a rental.

Old 09-07-2022, 11:35 AM

3,612 posts, read 7,950,480 times
If no action in 20 days that suggests that the market is not hot where you live. I would not expect that a buyer, when you find one, will be receptive to a lease-back.

Possibly your price is too high for your market.

If you price it well and there is some action in your market then buying and moving is not the worst option. If you are willing to move in two stages you can leave some of the furniture for a spare decluttered look.

Old 09-07-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
1) Most lenders will require that your home not be for sale for a HELOC. You need to do the HELOC as a strategy before your home goes up for sale.

2) How comfortable are you with being an out-of-state landlord?

3) Is it realistic to negotiate a rent back on your home in current market conditions for your area? The rent-back requirement may deter some buyers.

If you were going to use home equity for your downpayment on a new home, you need to chat with a lender to confirm you will qualify for the second loan with your home as a rental.
So what are my options if I want to move into a house first and let my current home sell. Can i take a second mortgage out at 5%?

Old 09-07-2022, 01:12 PM

15,600 posts, read 40,524,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
So what are my options if I want to move into a house first and let my current home sell. Can i take a second mortgage out at 5%?
You would need to qualify for two mortgages. That is a lender question.

Old 09-07-2022, 01:19 PM

6,104 posts, read 3,813,903 times
Quote:
We need some numbers. What is your house worth? Amount of existing mortgage? What price house are you looking to buy in new location? How much CASH do you have available? Would you qualify for two mortgages at the same time? How is your credit rating?

It sounds like you are short on cash and equity and may have difficulty swinging a deal to own two houses at the same time.

Old 09-07-2022, 03:43 PM

567 posts, read 277,976 times
Quote:
Why are you in such a hurry?

Old 09-07-2022, 05:23 PM

1,063 posts, read 920,675 times
+1.
We need some numbers.

Old 09-07-2022, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamThomas View Post
Why are you in such a hurry?
I want to mentally be here or there. I feel unsettled and want to make the move. Also If i dont move now Ill be stuck for sometime not being able to sell the house as market is slowing down tremendously.

Old 09-07-2022, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
We need some numbers. What is your house worth? Amount of existing mortgage? What price house are you looking to buy in new location? How much CASH do you have available? Would you qualify for two mortgages at the same time? How is your credit rating?

It sounds like you are short on cash and equity and may have difficulty swinging a deal to own two houses at the same time.
House worth $800k on zillow with $180k left. Looking to buy a house within range of $650k. Have only about 40k cash total. Yes would qualify for second mortgage with 5% down according to lender and credit is 820+
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate