Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 07:04 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,410,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
The problem is if it hasn't sold in the first 30 days it may not sell until you lower the price enough. You just don't know what we happen (and we really don't because we are not looking at your house or location). Think if yourself taking a 10-20% hit on the house and how would that make you feel. Or, if the house is still sitting unsold months from now?

I think one problem is that market is in a period of adjustment right now. I know where I am it would be difficult to price right. Our neighbors sold and they dropped the price 5% and still had to put a new roof on it. I think they had to sell as his business went tango uniform.

Why don't you just rent your house long term? Hire a property management company.
Renting is a big headache especially from out of state. There is allot of responsibility and I really want to keep things simple. Im a professional by trade and make enough that I can avoid taking unnecessary risks. Ultimately want to live a debt free life and do as I please with cash flow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 08:12 PM

269 posts, read 181,224 times
If you were to buy first while waiting to sell, Will you have enough cash to afford a down payment on the new $650k house? Much less the closing costs, moving costs, etc? You only have $40k.

I’ve was living in DC and renting out my condo in Florida. It wasn’t too bad or took much of my time, but all depends if you find a good tenant. With todays technologies, you can easily schedule repairs without needing a rental management company.

Lastly, just my opinion, but I would never rush on something of this huge financial decision because “I want to be mentally there”.

Good luck

Old 09-12-2022, 09:43 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,410,734 times
Thank you all!

Old 09-12-2022, 09:51 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Will your prop taxes go up or down, or stay about where they are now?

Old 09-13-2022, 06:49 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,341,971 times
As a Landlord, I emphatically state: Only lease out properties if you are local!!!
Sell your house, then move.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:23 AM

982 posts, read 607,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
It's very likely, IMO, that these houses are already rental properties and the owner wants to dump them so he offers prospective tenants an option to rent the house and then apply a portion of the rent to the purchase price. Typically, this is a deal offered by owners of rental property to sell it for more than market value to someone who has little to no money for a down payment and closing costs. It also could be attractive to some people who want to buy but have a bad credit rating. The owners of MOST houses that you see for sale would not be a bit interested in this situation.
We are in the process of selling and have a contract in place. We had numerous people approach us to do some sort of rent to own or even one asked to take over our mortgage, LOL. We don't have one but he thought allow his to take on our mortgage and walk away. A lot of strangeness we went through as we are doing FSBO.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:28 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,976,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
As a Landlord, I emphatically state: Only lease out properties if you are local!!!
Sell your house, then move.
Or you hire a reputable PM company to manage it for you.

Old 09-15-2022, 02:56 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
I have always advocated that a person moving to a new/unknown area should rent for a year to get a better feel for the area. I can assure you if you do so, your decision will be a better one. Not that an out of the barrel will be a bad decision but waiting teaches you a lot about the area.

Old 09-17-2022, 05:45 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I have always advocated that a person moving to a new/unknown area should rent for a year to get a better feel for the area. I can assure you if you do so, your decision will be a better one. Not that an out of the barrel will be a bad decision but waiting teaches you a lot about the area.

I think he should rent in this market. I believe he said he's coming back to Jersey which was home for him.

If that's the case, I heard on the radio that foreclosures have been hitting the market that were supposed to hit when COVID stopped the world. The Jersey market could change depending on where he's coming.

We just sold in June, we rented. I had a feeling it would turn. Wasn't about to lose money on a depreciating house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate