Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 02:03 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,418,936 times

Advertisements

You are not an owner, that is the biggest issue right now. Anyone is going to be hesitant about approving something for someone for a property they do not own, no matter how trivial it seems.

As for running the lines, if I recall correctly, they just bore and pull the conduit through, then pull the line through that, pretty minimal mess, digging with a shovel a little is about all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2021, 02:17 PM

9,896 posts, read 4,659,887 times
There are some potential physical issues/logistic problems. In some states utilities have to be buried at a certain depth especially until near your property for the final run. Also have to take into account things like tree roots, rocks, water table etc. I have an apartment with one provider. Satillite antenna's banned and to get second and third parties they'll basically have to parallel the current one to avoid new holes and poles.

Old 10-16-2021, 02:20 PM

6,487 posts, read 10,363,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
That's just strange. So even if a person buys a property, they can still take it away and it's not really the owners?! That must be illegal, surely.
In my state, it is perfectly legal for unpaid dues or fines. The city, county or state can do the same thing if you don't pay your property taxes. Why couldn't an HOA do the same thing? I have to guess this might be your first home that you buying and you are merely unaware of how things work in society.

Don't pay your taxes, the IRS is no less lenient on you. Never forget that Al Capone eventually got sent to prison for not paying federal taxes, not for allegedly killing his crime rivals.

BTW: to quote the late, great Leslie Nielson, "Yes, I am serious, and don't call me Shirley"

Last edited by dontaskwhy; 10-16-2021 at 02:37 PM..

Old 10-16-2021, 03:45 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,578,079 times
Make your offer contingent on the residence having the internet connection you want to be INSTALLED and working. That is what the buyer of my home on Bainbridge Island did.

Old 10-16-2021, 04:08 PM

24,604 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Covenants are public records. Get your realtor hopping, contact county, contact tax assessor.

They may say no work from home.

Old 10-16-2021, 04:09 PM

One more thing to consider is that many internet/cable providers will not install to a single home in an established community. Typically, a certain percentage of residents must also request the service for it to be worthwhile to the provider. As mentioned earlier, many HOA's own the land and such installations would have to go through community property to be installed. What if a buried water line, sewar pipe, phone line, or electrical line was damaged, who is going to pay to fix that? There are many potential issues involved and such a decision is not taken lightly.

In my HOA, we had a similar issue with a homeowner insisting on having a street lamp installed when no other residents saw the need. The HOA denied the request because where the light pole would be installed, a $25,000 repair was required 1 year earlier during a water pipe installation. Neither the city or any contractors would accept any such a potential liability.

Old 10-16-2021, 04:12 PM

45,443 posts, read 60,638,057 times
One other thing I just thought of, the fiber provider may not have the franchise to extend service to that area.

Old 10-16-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
One other thing I just thought of, the fiber provider may not have the franchise to extend service to that area.
Agreed. If that is the case, there is no agreement that the OP can get to force the issue. In my area, many developed HOA communities have agreements with a single provider for internet or cable TV and no other provider is allowed to install service in that community as stipulated in the bylaws.

Old 10-16-2021, 05:15 PM

276 posts, read 231,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post

<long snip>
This request is for HOA company omitted Management to allow a fiber cable to be buried from the fence on Twain, across the sewer/drainage easement on the north side of the complex, into xyzs’ (future) residence at address.

As we discussed. since xyz is not yet the property owner, he is not in a position to submit an ARC request. In place of the ARC, I am asking that you discuss this with the Board tonight and let us know s soon as possible whether the HOA approves, plus please advise whether any additional requirements or documentation is needed.
</long snip>

across the sewer/drainage easement? who pays to fix it if that gets damaged installing your fiber? could be a concern. like others have said, you're not even an owner yet. I wouldn't make any concessions for you either at this point if i was on the board.

you DEF need a copy of the cc&r's prior to settlement- and i suggest reading them carefully. might be all kinds of rules about noise and parking and pets and renting and landscaping and painting and mailboxes and satellite dishes and running a business out of your house, ect ect ect.

Old 10-16-2021, 05:22 PM

302 posts, read 308,591 times
So if I did become an owner... then what is my standing to get what I need?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate