Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 07:53 AM

302 posts, read 309,012 times

Advertisements

If you don't know then I cannot help you.
This goes beyond the discussion of the issue at hand. Thanks for understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2021, 03:02 PM

19,077 posts, read 14,017,666 times
I was the president of my former HOA when Verizon wanted to install fiber optics. I immediately approved it without even presenting it to the community because it was a no-brainer decision that would have only been complicated by giving crotchety old owners input. Why? Because the installation of the fiber optic cable would have ZERO impact on them if they didn't want it, so their input was unnecessary.

BUT, in our case, Verizon was paying for everything. There was zero cost to the HOA or to any owners who subsequently decided to switch once it became available.

I joined the board and eventually became president because of the typical HOA antics. Most humans aren't well suited to making important decisions. I don't have that problem. I left that place 6 months ago with hundreds of thousands in the bank with only 76 units. I've heard they are already hemorrhaging money again. Oh well.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-18-2021, 09:27 PM

10,358 posts, read 6,913,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
That's just strange. So even if a person buys a property, they can still take it away and it's not really the owners?! That must be illegal, surely.

I understand the bigger picture but they should too...
I wont get any of the CC&R until after the purchase. They don't have that info on their website or anything.
I wouldn't buy a place without seeing the CC & R's first. No Exceptions!

If you go thru with it, your only possible recourse would be to "become the HOA" there. This is a big price to pay, for 25 year old technology...

Old 10-18-2021, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I was the president of my former HOA when Verizon wanted to install fiber optics. I immediately approved it without even presenting it to the community because it was a no-brainer decision that would have only been complicated by giving crotchety old owners input. Why? Because the installation of the fiber optic cable would have ZERO impact on them if they didn't want it, so their input was unnecessary.

BUT, in our case, Verizon was paying for everything. There was zero cost to the HOA or to any owners who subsequently decided to switch once it became available.

I joined the board and eventually became president because of the typical HOA antics. Most humans aren't well suited to making important decisions. I don't have that problem. I left that place 6 months ago with hundreds of thousands in the bank with only 76 units. I've heard they are already hemorrhaging money again. Oh well.
^This.

Old 10-19-2021, 03:26 AM

45,541 posts, read 60,771,442 times
Quote:
^This.
No, totally different situation. Your entire development is not getting the fiber, just you. That changes the scenario.

Also, in the situation you approve of, the installation is likely governed both by state laws for public utilities and company policy, which probably controls when a certain area gets new equipment/services. And that is almost always at company expense (which comes back through rates). Had Verizon not been ready to upgrade there it wouldn't have happened, and you should note that was the entire development and not just one house.

You haven't mentioned who would pay for your installation, I have the suspicion it would be you. Which is pretty standard for one offs. Most utilities have to cover the installation of service within X feet from the road. Anything over that is on the property owner, which people who build a new new house a half mile from a road have found out to their chagrin.

Old 10-19-2021, 10:33 AM

276 posts, read 231,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
You are not getting my point - a fiber optic cable run is not a "standard of conformity" that is likely enforceable since it does not require to make any changes to the appearance or even able to notice. There is nothing that would require "modification to a homeowner's property that doesn't conform to the community standards" to install fiber optic in a house. The HOAs can't enforce things that are visible services such as flags, satellite dishes and solar collectors - what makes you think they can enforce a service you can't even see.

my hoa controls satellite dishes, solar panels and flags. it's right in the cc&r's.
satellite dishes & solar panels can only be installed in certain locations on my property that can't be seen from the street. flags are restricted to certain sizes and areas. and you need to ask permission before installing any of it.

to the op: do not buy until you read the rules you'll be agreeing to.

Old 10-19-2021, 11:02 AM

19,077 posts, read 14,017,666 times
The real answer for you is that if fiber optic internet at home is something you consider a necessity, you probably should not risk purchasing this house.

What would happen if the HOA ultimately denies your request? If you can make it work with that being a possibility, then maybe the other positives of the house make it worthwhile. If you cannot, then you'll feel trapped and/or end up selling before you recoup closing costs and such.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-19-2021, 11:05 AM

Decided to pull out.
Thanks.

Old 10-19-2021, 12:17 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,387,161 times
Quote:
Decided to pull out.
Thanks.
Good call.

By the way I get 150 megabytes down from Cox and 10 up.

Old 10-19-2021, 12:22 PM

too slow. too expensive. but good for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate