Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 12:26 PM

19,109 posts, read 14,112,073 times

Advertisements

Good call.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2021, 12:36 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,434,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
too slow. too expensive. but good for you.
No real option where I live but will likely go to 5G when it becomes real.

For any heavy up stuff we have a web site that can go much faster. And in general all the RE stuff goes there.

Old 10-19-2021, 01:30 PM

13,155 posts, read 21,154,508 times
On the issue of the HOA's action. I live in a very private exclusive community controlled by an HOA. Here's my take on some of the issues.

First, an HOA may have policy not to comment on non-owner request. They do this because they don't want to be involved in any problems over the sale based on what someone assumed would ultimately be approved. The current owner is free to make a formal request to obtain permission for a project. This way, what that person requested is on the record and if it turns out not to be what the new owner thought, that's all on the old owner.

Second, we have refused telecom approvals not because we don't like the item, but we don't like the way the contractor operates. We routinely deny request by one vendor/contractor for fiber because they use shallow curb trenching. This has nothing to do with fiber but has to do with the method the fiber is being installed. It's quick, easy and cost advantageous to the vendor/contractor and customer, but creates issues down the road for the HOA. Likewise, we have denied based on location routing of installation. What may be quick and easy for all may not be the best for the community as a whole.

We do not allow trenching across a storm water easement. Unless they are willing to place a bond that will cover any future repairs to the engineered flow, we don't allow the surface to be disturbed. We have seen in other desert communities where trenching trough a runoff caused massive erosion during the monsoon. If they want to bore across the easement, that's generally accepted, but no trenching. But boring cost money and customers don't want to pay the cost of such installation.

In the end, if it's not here, we tell people not to buy if it's that important because there's nothing that guarantees it will be allowed.

To add, you mention they are not approving but exactly what is their stated reason for the non-approval? Maybe it has nothing to do with the fiber and has to do with something associated with the request itself.

Old 10-19-2021, 01:33 PM

302 posts, read 309,613 times
@Rabrrita - thank you.

All they said was that the board members denied the request.

literally, that is all. No reason. And from reading here, they don't need to give a reason except "because we have big bawls"

Old 10-19-2021, 01:43 PM

13,155 posts, read 21,154,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
@Rabrrita - thank you.

All they said was that the board members denied the request.

literally, that is all. No reason. And from reading here, they don't need to give a reason except "because we have big bawls"
Going out on limb here, but me thinks it has more to do with you not being an owner of record. You may get an entirely different response or a detailed reason why, once you're an owner.

Old 10-19-2021, 01:50 PM

45,592 posts, read 61,004,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Going out on limb here, but me thinks it has more to do with you not being an owner of record. You may get an entirely different response or a detailed reason why, once you're an owner.
Apparently he withdrew the offer.

He will likely have the same result anywhere with an HOA when not an owner. Municipalities are a little looser but still need to be looking at a pretty solid purchase offer (this is for large developments/commercial. An individual with an offer to buy a home not so much).

Old 10-19-2021, 03:22 PM

37,309 posts, read 60,084,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not at all. Until you're an owner you have no standing in the HOA. They may well approve it once you are an owner. Now, I don't know why it would trigger an architectural review.

When I was an elected official and someone would demand something just for himself we always had to look at long term impacts and costs.
Does it cross an easement to trench to your home?

Old 10-20-2021, 10:58 AM

10,994 posts, read 20,631,564 times
A buyer may require the seller to provide documentation that the property has internet service and the speed of that service. When we sold our home on Bainbridge Island we needed to provide the Comcast bill to the offering party.

Old 10-20-2021, 11:09 AM

6,525 posts, read 10,451,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
A buyer may require the seller to provide documentation that the property has internet service and the speed of that service.
The advertised internet speeds rarely correspond with the actual speeds achieved. While my provider says I can achieve up to 10 Mbs, I usually achieve 5-6 Mbs on my computer.

Kind of like the "estimated MPG" of a new car. The sticker says one thing but reality is almost always different.

Old 10-20-2021, 11:35 AM

23,175 posts, read 12,319,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
The advertised internet speeds rarely correspond with the actual speeds achieved. While my provider says I can achieve up to 10 Mbs, I usually achieve 5-6 Mbs on my computer.

Kind of like the "estimated MPG" of a new car. The sticker says one thing but reality is almost always different.

It's a different animal but when I went to Cozumel earlier this year with intent to stay awhile and work remote, I needed fast and reliable internet and asked owners to send me actual speed test results. While actual results might vary based on when it was done and could even be rigged, I found it more informative than just the service specs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate