Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 08:36 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times

Advertisements

A sidenote: I vet people who want to adopt cats from a rescue. If they rent, one of the application questions is "Does your LL accept pets?" and the name and phone number for their LL. And I usually call the LL to confirm.

I've no doubt the folks who vet potential dog adopters do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2021, 01:01 PM

9,896 posts, read 4,659,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Zero.

I had a no-pet policy and a tenant snuck in some cats who proceeded to destroy the apartment. Cat urine everywhere. It cost me a significant chunk of change to rehab the apartment.
That's what many don't get about pets. Cat urine lingers big time and if the place is not thoroughly clean before the next tenant they could be allergic and cause another set of issues. Even a dog especially if one gets a puppy because there will be accidents including stains formed after the urine soaks through the carpet and padding to the wood.

Have a tenant here that is trying to hide their dog including only walking in the dark and putting it under a jacket or in handbag yes a little pocketbook dog they assume will case little issue. The dog started barking one night and they scrambled to silence it. Feel bad for the dog being stuck indoors with only a chance or two a day to go to bathroom.

Old 11-29-2021, 08:13 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,694,630 times
You can have a dog if you prepay for the replacement of the original 80 year old paneling with the same species, age, and patina. You can have a cat if you prepay to remove all cat dander from the AC ducts and replace any damaged and odorous flooring with equal 80 year old original patina oak, to include the subfloor as needed.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:11 AM

13,780 posts, read 8,019,999 times
I rent six SFH. No cats. If they pee on the carpet it can be difficult to get the smell out. Dogs? Small dogs only and certain breed restrictions apply.

Sometimes potential applicants tell me their pet is an "emotional support" animal. I tell them fine but they will need to provide proper documentation which I will run by my RE attorney.

At which point I never hear from them again.

Old 12-12-2021, 01:50 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Get it labeled as service animals.
Only two questions can the landlord ask.
And neither of them would disqualify your four legged friends or force you to pay a pet fee.
Landlord cannot say your lying. Even though most who pull this stunt get away with it.

Pet deposits are a money grab . Yet understandable if the landlord has to flea bomb or remove carpet. But last I read in a lease those damages would be imposed with or without an actual pet . My condo had two flea infestations and neither of the tenants ever had pets. Yet they got charged for the removal and service.

And scammers (let's be honest, that's the nicest term for what you advocate) like you are the very reason that those with true needs have trouble AND why many states are passing laws cracking down on such criminals.

You also do not appear to have an understanding of the very laws you advocate breaking.

There is a difference between a service animal (MUST be trained to perform a specific task or tasks that assists with the specific disability that the disabled owner has) and be trained to behave impeccably no matter what happens, and an Emotional Support Animal (ESA). No certification is required for a service animal, but if the disability is not obvious, the potential landlord can ask if the dog (or miniature horse, the only animals that can be service animals) is a service animal, and what task it has been trained to perform.

For ESA's, a letter from the mental health professional who is treating the mental illness requiring the ESA and who will be treating going forward is required. NOT one of those scam letters from an online "sell you a letter" scammers where a "doctor" MAY talk to you for 10 minutes, period, before selling you a letter.

People who advocate this, and who do it, are disgusting and their lack of ethics is enough not to want to rent to them. If they'll lie about that, why on earth would any landlord trust them with a major property?

Old 12-13-2021, 10:24 AM

10,352 posts, read 8,578,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I agree . Many folks are usurping the system .

I do not endorse nor partake in it. I observe it.
Yet you tell people how to circumvent the system in an earlier post making harder for legit needs.

Old 03-07-2022, 09:24 PM

8,895 posts, read 5,378,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
A sidenote: I vet people who want to adopt cats from a rescue. If they rent, one of the application questions is "Does your LL accept pets?" and the name and phone number for their LL. And I usually call the LL to confirm.

I've no doubt the folks who vet potential dog adopters do the same.
Good policy but what happens if they must move?

Old 03-07-2022, 09:51 PM

8,895 posts, read 5,378,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
You can have a dog if you prepay for the replacement of the original 80 year old paneling with the same species, age, and patina. You can have a cat if you prepay to remove all cat dander from the AC ducts and replace any damaged and odorous flooring with equal 80 year old original patina oak, to include the subfloor as needed.
Wow, perhaps this dwelling should be a museum.

Old 03-08-2022, 08:14 AM

6,487 posts, read 10,363,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Wow, perhaps this dwelling should be a museum.
Sounds like a very insensitive reply on your part.

Maybe you never heard the expression, "A man's home is his castle". Which means that a reasonable homeowner will do what they need to do to protect it.

Old 03-08-2022, 12:16 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,801,923 times
No amount of money...and I am a huge animal lover. But when it comes to running a business it's all different...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate