Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 05:19 PM

6,152 posts, read 4,630,631 times

Advertisements

Just perusing rental ads out of personal curiosity to see what properties are renting for, I have noticed a paradox in places that are strict about "no pets" versus places that allow them with some stipulations.

Usually the places that allow them are more upscale and well-maintained while the places that are emphatic about prohibiting them are grungier and less desirable.

I suspect this is because the latter group of landlords is typically dealing with more challenging tenants who would, at least on average, be less likely to be responsible with their pets, and probably more hands-off themselves with making minor repairs due to someone's pet damaging the property. So it's easier to just ban them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2021, 05:24 PM

270 posts, read 194,704 times
If someone rents when, under contract, there are no pets allowed, then if te owner changes his/her mind, all contracts must expire before the owner can change the pet policy. Still, some pet adverse tenants have grounds to sue. Law suits can include all moving expenses and sometimes more.

Old 10-21-2021, 11:30 PM

22,377 posts, read 19,294,705 times
the phrase that comes to mind is
"What part of NO don't you understand?"

Old 10-21-2021, 11:34 PM

22,377 posts, read 19,294,705 times
overwhelmingly the landlords i've talked to (and I've been a renter who has moved fairly frequently with my job over the past 20+ years) have said the reason they don't allow pets is because they have caused so much damage to the units.

even units with "no pets" the tenants will sneak in pets, or have visitors bring their pets, which have caused a lot of damage to the units.

it's the same reason more and more landlords have no smoking on their properties. damage to the units, and neighbors don't want it nearby either.

Old 10-22-2021, 11:46 AM

37,664 posts, read 46,107,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKiwi View Post
I'm a property owner interested in moving to a location where the cost to own is between $500-2200/month higher than the cost to rent, needless to say it makes more sense to rent out my current unit and rent the new place rather than buy there (which I wouldn't be able to do even if I wanted to because there's no inventory).

The issue is I have two dogs (both under 25 lbs) and the building I'm interested in doesn't allow them. They're well behaved, housebroken, rarely bark, etc and I know all of that is irrelevant because that's what every tenant says about their pets. I'm wondering how much extra cash I should offer to potentially get the landlord to allow them (it's a nine-unit building owned by an elderly person, not an LLC).

I was thinking something along the lines of this:

* Initial offer: doubled security deposit (rent would be ~$2k so this would put a doubled security deposit at ~$4k)

* Second offer: doubled security deposit plus additional month of rent paid upfront

* Third/final offer: doubled security deposit, additional month of rent paid upfront plus $50/month extra "pet rent"

I have some experience as a landlord but I'm by no means an expert, I'm looking for feedback as to what about my offers should be changed (if anything) as well as how you'd respond to these offers if presented. TIA!
No amount.

Old 10-22-2021, 12:05 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,961,651 times
Never a cat.. ever. It is nearly impossible to get the smell of cat pee out hardwood without replacing it.

We do rent to people with dogs, however. It can't be a puppy, having had a puppy myself I know how often accidents happen. It also can't be a big dog, something small is okay. The security deposit is 1.5 months rent and we require an extra $50 a month if you have a dog. We almost never hold back security deposits, but if theres scuffs on the floor or hair all over when you move out we're holding part of the security deposit to get it corrected, period.

With that said, if my mind was made up that I was "no pets" I don't think any reasonable amount of money would change my mind.

Old 10-22-2021, 04:12 PM

22,503 posts, read 12,049,654 times
Where I live, back in the 80s and 90s just about every apartment complex was "no pets". Now, it's rare to find a "no pet" building. Thus, even though we don't have pets, many in our building have them.

When our building was new, 6 years ago, they tried setting aside a "pet free" floor. We know someone who rented on that floor specifically for that reason. Over time, management starting renting apartments on that floor to pet owners. The person we know said that when she asked them why they did that, management said it was the only way they could ensure that those apartments got occupied.

Our building charges an extra $50 per month per pet plus with each pet, a $500 deposit has to be put down before renting. Most of the pets behave even though some owners don't. Some have had their dogs have accidents (both pee and poop) and won't clean up after them or even let staff know what happened. Others have had aggressive dogs and management had to tell them to either get rid of the dog or move. Once my husband and I had a leashed dog try to attack us! Management, to their credit, takes such reports seriously. I know that many times when pet owners move out, an apartment will end up getting recarpeted.

OP---I'm surprised that you haven't been able to locate a building/complex that allows pets. Just keep looking and realize that you may not be able to get all that you want in terms of amenities.

Old 10-23-2021, 09:07 AM

9,936 posts, read 4,693,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwiththis View Post
Never a cat.. ever. It is nearly impossible to get the smell of cat pee out hardwood without replacing it.

We do rent to people with dogs, however. It can't be a puppy, having had a puppy myself I know how often accidents happen. It also can't be a big dog, something small is okay. The security deposit is 1.5 months rent and we require an extra $50 a month if you have a dog. We almost never hold back security deposits, but if theres scuffs on the floor or hair all over when you move out we're holding part of the security deposit to get it corrected, period.

With that said, if my mind was made up that I was "no pets" I don't think any reasonable amount of money would change my mind.
This-that cat pee smell.

Had a neighboring tenant with a cat and the day they found out about an inspection they opened up their windows wide and long periods for the first time in months. For about 2 weeks cat smells were coming out of that unit and depending on a breeze or lack there of it smelled like cat all over the building inside and out.

Young pets especially dogs will teath on wood things including furniture, moldings, trim etc. They frequently paw and scratch floor or carpets and of course accidents. Even older dogs can give off a dog breath odor. Or if they get wet. But pets in the apartment isn't fair to pet either. Unless owners there alot to walk etc an apartment can wind up being a fancy jail with rules like can only go to bathroom a few times a day.

Apartment living is going to be different than living in an actual house. Too many don't accept that and when they try to live like they are in a house is when more than one kind of trouble starts.

Old 10-23-2021, 11:31 AM

32,680 posts, read 48,196,960 times
Well, I will take two dogs, with some breed and age restrictions. But I don't take cats.

The most pet damage I've had was just north of $15,000. So about that as a security deposit to accept a couple of cats.

I don't charge pet rent. Pet rent is baked into the regular rent and everybody pays it, whether they have pets or not, but generally, pet rent runs about $50 a month per animal, so with two dogs, you can expect about an extra $100 a month in rent because of the two dogs.

If I owned a multi-unit (I don't) I would not accept pets at all. It causes to many possible issues with the other tenants. You might have better luck renting a house that will accept your dogs.

Old 10-23-2021, 11:35 AM

32,680 posts, read 48,196,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Get it labeled as service animals. ........

And the disabled people who really truly need their service dog can thank Nov 3 when they can't find a place to rent. So many Nov 3s out here cheating and lying and pretending their pet is a service animal makes landlords work extra hard to find a reason to reject anyone who claims to have a service animal or an emotional support animal because of the very high chance they are a cheater and a liar and a person who games the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate