Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2021, 11:31 AM

1,768 posts, read 716,109 times

Advertisements

Running into a headache for some extensive water damage for my condo. Have both personal insurance and the master carrier policy that cover repairs to the interior. Been in excess of 4 months and work to repair it still hasn't started. HOA has been dragging their feet the entire time, took a month to get bad leak in shared pipe fixed that cause the damage (HOA finally paid for repairs). Took a month for me to get them to file a claim because they didn't want to initially.

Keep insisting my personal insurance should be covering everything, but based on ccrs and policies the HOA master carrier insurance policy should be the one covering repairs to the residence. Me and both insurance companies agree this is correct. Initially they were refusing to take any money from insurance as "they don't own the interior, it is my responsibility/personal insurance". Again master insurance policy covers interior of all units (my personal one does too along with belongings and ALE).

Now currently the estimate for the insurance company is missing quite a lot. I have gotten 5 quotes, and the cheapest one is 5-6k difference. This is also the insurances companies preferred contractor in the area. They are being extremely uncooperative about dealing with the insurance company to have their estimate changed and believe "they have done their part" and all additional expenses will be billed to me. They also state they get to pick the contractor and when work is done (this part they may be correct on but is quite frustrating). I told them no I will not be as it is not supposed to work that way. Then they said they would be getting legal counsel. Also said they would asses those fees to me.

Frustrating to say the least, wonder if anyone here has any advice/can confirm I am in the right here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2021, 01:38 PM

6,480 posts, read 10,350,022 times
You need to consult a real estate attorney to protect yourself.

As I understand, with a condo you own the interior of the unit but the association is responsible for everything within the walls and the exterior of the condo. Your insurance covers your belongings and you are responsible from the walls to the interior of your condo.

I don't know what state/city you live in. You need to review CC&R of your condo to confirm your and the association's responsibilities as there is no single answer that fits all. The rules can differ based on your city, county, and state. You want to confirm all this ASAP and don't wait for the condo board to do anything. Have you talked with your insurance company about this yet ?

Old 10-22-2021, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
You need to consult a real estate attorney to protect yourself.

As I understand, with a condo you own the interior of the unit but the association is responsible for everything within the walls and the exterior of the condo. Your insurance covers your belongings and you are responsible from the walls to the interior of your condo.

I don't know what state/city you live in. You need to review CC&R of your condo to confirm your and the association's responsibilities as there is no single answer that fits all. The rules can differ based on your city, county, and state. You want to confirm all this ASAP and don't wait for the condo board to do anything. Have you talked with your insurance company about this yet ?
In my state I believe master policy must be "all-in" and cover the residence interior also, which the policy does. CC&R is super old and doesn't specify which policy should take over for the interior, therefore both insurance companies agreed the master policy should take over. HOA was the only one not agreeing with this.

It makes it a complete pain as it makes the pace go at how quick (slow) the HOA works, removes my ability to negotiate with the insurance company, and removes my ability to pick the contractor repairing the interior. The HOA seems to have no desire to negotiate with the insurance company. My main question is they can't pick a contractor that does the work for 20k, get 15k from insurance, then bill me 5k - can they?

Last edited by Skezo; 10-22-2021 at 09:23 PM..

Old 10-23-2021, 07:12 AM

Let your insurance company deal with this as they should. If it has to go to a judge, they will use their own attorneys to fight on your behalf. Trust me, your insurance company will do everything they have to so that they don't have to pay and if they need to sue the HOA insurance company, they will. Just my $.02 worth.

Old 10-23-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Let your insurance company deal with this as they should. If it has to go to a judge, they will use their own attorneys to fight on your behalf. Trust me, your insurance company will do everything they have to so that they don't have to pay and if they need to sue the HOA insurance company, they will. Just my $.02 worth.
My insurance company has said since the master one has taken responsibility for repairs it is strictly between me, the master insurance policy, and the HOA and that they have no liability. Weather that is true or not I don't know. My individual insurance company has been trying to avoid paying for some things that are covered specifically under that policy (ALE for hotel) and currently have a lawyer getting in contact with them.

Old 10-23-2021, 10:57 AM

Every condo association insurance policy that I have ever seen covers everything within the walls or on the outside of the building but does not cover anything on the interior of the condo. Your personal insurance policy should cover everything IMHO within the interior walls even if the issue started within the walls.

I am not an attorney, just wanted to offer my opinion on this. Please let us know what happens and I wish you the best of success with this. I understand your frustration.

Your lawyer should be able to help you resolve this issue. Another option if that doesn't work is to contact a local TV station to see if they will run your story and amazingly, these types of issues find a way to resolve themselves rather that getting bad public relations for the HOA and/or the insurance company.

Old 10-23-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Every condo association insurance policy that I have ever seen covers everything within the walls or on the outside of the building but does not cover anything on the interior of the condo. Your personal insurance policy should cover everything IMHO within the interior walls even if the issue started within the walls.

I am not an attorney, just wanted to offer my opinion on this. Please let us know what happens and I wish you the best of success with this. I understand your frustration.

Your lawyer should be able to help you resolve this issue. Another option if that doesn't work is to contact a local TV station to see if they will run your story and amazingly, these types of issues find a way to resolve themselves rather that getting bad public relations for the HOA and/or the insurance company.
Unfortunately this policy does, and all CC&R does is state that the unit owner has the right to purchase additional insurance for their benefit. Most of the time they don't cover residence interior and if they do theyl CC&R specifys your individual insurance should take primary for that. Lawyer I am dealing with is unfortunately not an expert on the issue and tough to find someone who is as it is an odd situation. Initially I thought my own insurance be responsible for interior, but after reading the documents multiple times I'm pretty positive I was wrong.

Old 10-23-2021, 12:11 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
If the ultimate cause of the damage originated inside of the condo, you are responsible. Inside includes everything not covered by the builder as outside or shared such as the siding, roofing, probably windows and trim. Your kitchen or bathroom pipes? Your problem. But a hole in the roof leading to an eventual drip downstairs? HOA problem.

Old 10-23-2021, 12:45 PM

3,059 posts, read 2,035,841 times
OP
You need a lawyer who is familiar with HOA laws in your state since they are state-specific. The first thing that lawyer will do is read your HOA documents and tell you where you stand, don't listen to anyone else.

Your HOA has told you they are lawyering-up so you need to do this too if this is a significant repair expense that they do not want to pay for. If your lawyer tells you what you think is true, that the HOA/their insurance bears the repair burden then let your lawyer do all future communication with the HOA's lawyer.

You will have to decide whether this expense (the repair expense weighed against having your lawyer file suit to get it paid) is worth it to you. You only get your legal expense covered if you win but you have to pay your legal expenses up front so don't be swayed by hiring an attorney who is eager to go to court, what they are eager for is charging you money. Lawyers always win money, they don't always win cases for their clients. If you lose you'll be paying your attorney and their attorney's fees PLUS the repair expenses unless a settlement is made and then everything is negotiable.

Ask your attorney whether going to small claims court without a lawyer is advisable.
Sometimes a letter from a lawyer stating what the HOA documents state is all it takes unless you have a willfully ignorant board, lot's of those around.

It's really odd that HOA insurer says it's their responsibility yet HOA won't allow it. Try to get that in writing because it's proof the HOA is at fault if you go to court.

Good luck.

Old 10-23-2021, 02:59 PM

15,438 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skezo View Post
In my state I believe master policy must be "all-in" and cover the residence interior also, which the policy does. CC&R is super old and doesn't specify which policy should take over for the interior, therefore both insurance companies agreed the master policy should take over. HOA was the only one not agreeing with this.

It makes it a complete pain as it makes the pace go at how quick (slow) the HOA works, removes my ability to negotiate with the insurance company, and removes my ability to pick the contractor repairing the interior. The HOA seems to have no desire to negotiate with the insurance company. My main question is they can't pick a contractor that does the work for 20k, get 15k from insurance, then bill me 5k - can they?
In general, the insurance company makes all of the decisions in these situations, and the HOA should be along for the ride.

Get a RE attorney, and be ready to have the HOA board hate you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate