Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 09:33 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,428,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
This. It is an seller financed installment loan drawn up by your attorney. They would claim real estate tax deductions as well as interest paid on the loan. You would give them a 1098 int. form each year with the total interest paid and you would claim the payments made as income to pay taxes on. Doing it this way, I believe you lose the 500,000 gain exclusion, though.
No, a Seller-financed sale (either Land Contract or purchase money mortgage) is still considered a sale, even if the Deed isn't delivered until it's paid off (as with a Land Contract).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 12:12 PM

983 posts, read 610,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
No, a Seller-financed sale (either Land Contract or purchase money mortgage) is still considered a sale, even if the Deed isn't delivered until it's paid off (as with a Land Contract).
Thank you for clarifying, I was not sure about the exclusion for that.

Old 10-28-2021, 12:16 PM

7,892 posts, read 11,422,651 times
OP if you still have the mortgage on the old house, know it will reduce the amount you can borrow for this new home, I assume you already know and your situation is workable with two mortgages. By renting it out you can count the rent as income but the ratio of debt service to income will make it likely the rent wont offset all of the mortgage payment on the old house.

lots of big other issues but most have been mentioned so wont repeat them

Old 10-28-2021, 12:20 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,588,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
OP if you still have the mortgage on the old house, know it will reduce the amount you can borrow for this new home, I assume you already know and your situation is workable with two mortgages. By renting it out you can count the rent as income but the ratio of debt service to income will make it likely the rent wont offset all of the mortgage payment on the old house.

lots of big other issues but most have been mentioned so wont repeat them
Yea, that's already been taken care of.

Old 10-28-2021, 12:58 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,400,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
You can't have a lease legally rentling it out and Also tell your insurance company it isn't a rental property. Insurance fraud.
Without getting into the family stuff - this^^^^^^.

Just tell the insurance company it's a rental home now. We did it with our townhouse in NC. It wasn't that bad.

Insurance fraud is no bueno.

Old 10-28-2021, 01:00 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,400,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_guerrajr View Post
Thanks all.

Got it, clear on the potential fraud dilemma. In order to avoid all that it shall be match everywhere (rental property with rental hazard policy, and of course rental on tax returns). Last thing I need is fraudulent charges.

I was also googling some tax differences in second home vs rental and seems the rental would benefit our scenario.

To the comments about selling out right, I agree. The idea is this is done in a manner that protects both sides. Ultimately if they aren't able to keep up with the payment they will be removed and home will be sold for market value. They can also sell their home and simply pay off this one. We have options and this arrangement isn't contingent on fragile strings.

Much apprecaited.
Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I would commend you for being open to helping your in-laws.

And, I think you are smart to want to do it "right."
Also, both of these things.

Old 11-03-2021, 09:36 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,967,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_guerrajr View Post
^

I think for color only...

We can sell the house and let it be history. My in-laws live 5 houses down in their current home.
When they heard we were selling ours, they said no we'll keep it. Unfortunately they have sub par credit (600-620) to qualify for a decent loan. Secondly they aren't selling their current home, so definitely not enough credit to carry two loans. Lastly they are not interested in starting a 15/30 year loan off from scratch. Frankly I doubt they will even live alone for more than 10 years. (will probably end up with one of their kids, hell even in our new house).
We've discussed our concerns and how it would play it in a financial hardship situation and all sides have come to an agreement that we are all happy with. What will probably happen is they will sell their current home and use the proceeds to pay off this home, and once done we transfer ownership and done.
Why would they want to keep your old house? And not even live in it because they want to keep their current house?

This whole idea makes no sense.

What do they plan to do with 2 homes on the same street? Which they cannot afford. Which they are expecting you to finance (keep the mortgage)

Do you realize how crazy this sounds?

Old 11-04-2021, 11:42 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,588,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Why would they want to keep your old house? And not even live in it because they want to keep their current house?

This whole idea makes no sense.

What do they plan to do with 2 homes on the same street? Which they cannot afford. Which they are expecting you to finance (keep the mortgage)

Do you realize how crazy this sounds?
They want to take over our home given it has a lot of updates and a pool. Much more enjoyable backyard.
Their current home will be sold to their youngest daughter's/fiancé. They are looking for their first home.
So they won't be paying for 2. If the daughter/fiancé decide to move, in-laws will either move back or sell their home and continue living in our current home.

Not sure where you got that they would be paying for both. I'm not that crazy

Old 11-05-2021, 04:48 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,862,909 times
If in-laws are selling their home to the daughter and her fiancé, why would they move back if she decides to move on? Why wouldn't daughter and fiancé just sell the house themselves?

Or are daughter and fiancé moving in under the same deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate