Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 07:56 PM

3,380 posts, read 9,238,805 times

Advertisements

Post a link to the ad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2021, 02:22 AM

51,697 posts, read 25,989,909 times
Breathe. It's only been a 10 days. Plus, your home is on the market during a time when many families are already settled in for the school year.

With only one bathroom for three bedrooms, a lot of buyers will pass. The listing likely shows two bathrooms, so they are likely expecting a master bath and a hall bath, not a bath down in an unfinished basement. There is nothing you can do about that. It is what it is.

I think one thing that helps sell a small house is an uncluttered appearance. Half empty cupboards, closets, and spaces give the impression that there is plenty of room here. If you want to put your anxiety to work, pack up everything you won't be using the next month and haul it to a storage unit.

Look at each room and decide what furniture you could do without,.

For example, haul bedroom dressers off, keep your underwear in bins under the bed. If a chair and a lamp will fit in the space without it looking cramped, do so. Potential buyers will leave with the impression that the bedroom is spacious, even room for a chair.

Look at storing a third of the furniture in your living room.

Good luck.

Old 10-31-2021, 02:29 AM

Ten years ago, we sold our home that only had one bathroom for the three upstairs bedrooms. We also had a bathroom in the basement, but we just had a rec room down there, so for many people it just didn't count.

Our real estate agent provided a free consultation with a stager who told us that because of only one bathroom, our target buyer was likely a couple without children. She recommended that we stage the house to appeal to them.

Set up the smallest bedroom as an office. Took the leaves out of the dining table and removed all but four chairs. Place settings for two. Set up the basement at a workout room. ...

She was right. Sold to a couple without children.

Old 10-31-2021, 07:24 AM

21,017 posts, read 19,499,991 times
I have helped my friends sell so many houses -ha, one sat for 2 years, empty, I had no idea...
they have so many properties I can't keep up!
They begged me to do something; it sold in 2 weeks.

YES
, it's all about the staging...I have an intelligent friend that admitted she simply could NOT
see the potential of houses...
her husband taught her, finally, to look beyond the furniture, paint colors, even walls that could be knocked down.
He was so frustrated.

I'm going to give you a silly tip - it works in Art Galleries or Art in the Park ---the first thing that sells is anything with even a speck of red in it. Crazy.
One house I placed red towels in the bathroom, painted a screen door red and the mailbox. Sound goofy?
It worked.
Place enlarged photos of what your property looks like with the flowers in bloom.

Any doors, hinges not so great even if to a back gate? Fix them.
Place a food scent (cookies, pumpkin bread) in a plug.
I glue an empty wine bottle, wine glasses, and fake bread to a tray, so they can imagine having a great time in the house.
I have put streamers and red table clothes outside, with props, under the gazebo, so they
could picture a party back there!
You are dealing with people's minds - the impressions left.

And a must: Stand on the property with a big smiles - say to the Universe, the Powers That Be,
Krishna, I don't care, ---whatever-
"This is such a happy beautiful home, it's going to sell easily!!" Yay! And feel that, believe that,
have no doubt about this. Be happy.
Anxiety and fear are like invisible, inaudible radio waves, (imagine like repelling static in a room or store) -people unconsciously pick up on this and want to leave.
They do.

Think this is nuts? My track record proves it's not.
Don't worry be happy.
Often people buy more expensive things because they see they're valuable! ("Why is this so cheap?" Hmm.)
They will go to the most expensive therapist or hair stylist cuz, ''They must be better''! See?
People are drawn to confidence, btw.

Old 10-31-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I have helped my friends sell so many houses -ha, one sat for 2 years, empty, I had no idea...

YES
, it's all about the staging...I have an intelligent friend that admitted she simply could NOT
her husband taught her, finally, to look beyond the furniture, paint colors, even walls that could be knocked down.
He was so frustrated.

I'm going to give you a silly tip - it works in Art Galleries or Art in the Park ---the first thing that sells is anything with even a speck of red in it. Crazy.
One house I placed red towels in the bathroom, painted a screen door red and the mailbox. Sound goofy?
It worked.
Place enlarged photos of what your property looks like with the flowers in bloom.

I glue an empty wine bottle, wine glasses, and fake bread to a tray, so they can imagine having a great time in the house.
I have put streamers and red table clothes outside, with props, under the gazebo, so they

And a must: Stand on the property with a big smiles - say to the Universe, the Powers That Be,
"This is such a happy beautiful home, it's going to sell easily!!" Yay! And feel that, believe that,
Anxiety and fear are like invisible, inaudible radio waves, (imagine like repelling static in a room or store) -people unconsciously pick up on this and want to leave.
They do.

Don't worry be happy.
Often people buy more expensive things because they see they're valuable! ("Why is this so cheap?" Hmm.)
They will go to the most expensive therapist or hair stylist cuz, ''They must be better''! See?
Absolutely!

Except for the plug-in scent. I don't care for those. The leave a taste on my tongue. Candles are find. Best scent is freshly bake chocolate chip cookies or bread.

Red doors sell. I've been told this by a contractor who flips houses for a living. I believe him. Didn't know this about red other places in the house.

But the best move is to send your intention into the universe that someone who loves your home as much as you do will be walking through the door.

Old 10-31-2021, 08:33 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,078,042 times
I have recently sold one rental home and preparing another one, Make sure it’s clean, even windows, people,notice. I agree with the red, a vase of fake red flowers placed on a counter, in a bathroom red towels, I put plants fake ones on the front porch to give it that home feeling. Door mat in red that says welcome. We sold over list. I know our next house will do the same.

The comments I got were the house was immaculate, buyers appreciated that. I kept a list of handyman, plumbers, electrical and air conditioning we used over the years so they know the home well. I had books for appliances, air conditioners, and heating system, water heater and if I didn’t have I downloaded them.

I placed this in a drawer near the refrigerator.

Curb appeal is everything so make sure the front yard is appealing.

And yes relax because sometimes it takes longer..but it will happen and no don’t lower the price.

Old 10-31-2021, 08:42 AM

19,468 posts, read 28,003,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Post a link to the ad.
And destroy all the sometimes valuable statistics that can be gathered from the number of views. And get the OP even more worried when everybody opines about the photos, the description, the furniture, the exterior color of the house, the toilet seat being left up, etc etc etc. I've been around for long enough to have seen this many times. OP - just don't.

My feeling is that the busy road is certainly a deterrent. But so is having one bathroom. (The one in the unfinished basement creeps out a lot of people.) And if your listing say 2 bathrooms, you're probably getting a lot of showings to people that will find the single bathroom unacceptable,

ETA: gothereasquickasicould gave terrific advice in his/her Post #13.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 10-31-2021 at 08:51 AM..

Old 10-31-2021, 09:01 AM

3,380 posts, read 9,238,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
And destroy all the sometimes valuable statistics that can be gathered from the number of views. And get the OP even more worried when everybody opines about the photos, the description, the furniture, the exterior color of the house, the toilet seat being left up, etc etc etc. I've been around for long enough to have seen this many times. OP - just don't.

My feeling is that the busy road is certainly a deterrent. But so is having one bathroom. (The one in the unfinished basement creeps out a lot of people.) And if your listing say 2 bathrooms, you're probably getting a lot of showings to people that will find the single bathroom unacceptable,

ETA: gothereasquickasicould gave terrific advice in his/her Post #13.
My guess is the ad is lame or the pictures are lame or both.

Old 10-31-2021, 10:14 AM

17 posts, read 10,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

YES
He was so frustrated.

It worked.

They do.

Don't worry be happy.

My house is red brick, does that count?!
In all seriousness, though, these are excellent tips. THANK YOU!

Old 10-31-2021, 10:19 AM

17 posts, read 10,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
My guess is the ad is lame or the pictures are lame or both.

I wish that were the case, because it would be an easy fix. The photos, virtual tour video, and listing are all fantastic. The home is beautifully represented. Hopefully that will be enough to draw the right person in eventually!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate