Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 07:42 PM

42 posts, read 136,759 times

Advertisements

It's an insane real estate market we are in. Palmcoasting has summarized it very well Welcome to the Realtors World. Just got off the phone with one of my seller clients and I'm the one that gets all the Sh.t thrown at by the seller. Had nine at my open house today. Let's hope some good comes of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 08:30 PM

414 posts, read 1,257,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I won't even go into the horrors of this situation. Thank goodness we have parted ways. I thought I was going to lose my mind...lol. I have viewed every property that was in their price range now though.
Oh my, Dixie Girl. You are a better woman than I, sister! Reading that reminds me of that HGTV commercial where the woman said "we've looked at over 800 houses....". 800! Can you imagine? Nevermind don't! We might hurt ourselves with brain strain.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:41 PM

9,725 posts, read 14,266,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina chick View Post
Oh my, Dixie Girl. You are a better woman than I, sister! Reading that reminds me of that HGTV commercial where the woman said "we've looked at over 800 houses....". 800! Can you imagine? Nevermind don't! We might hurt ourselves with brain strain.
I think most Realtors have experienced some "Just Lookers". Many years ago, the Realtors in my office would joke about their weekend Open Houses. "Guess we'll see the ______family this weekend!" This family made looking at houses their hobby, and went to every Open House there was. In this day and time, that wouldn't be allowable, I don't think. Prequalifiying is usually the first step. Am I right? I couldn't imagine people just going to snoop around people's homes at an Open House. I don't sell any more, but am on the other end of the transaction.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:43 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Honestly, one of the major benefits of having an agent is that we are the "handlers of crap." We deal with that so you don't have to. That way you only have to stress about keeping the house and yard as perfect as possible. (Like that isn't stressful enough!)

professional "handlers of crap"...lol, I love it and how true.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:48 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
[quote=carolina chick;3806341]Oh my, Dixie Girl. You are a better woman than I, sister! Reading that reminds me of that HGTV commercial where the woman said "we've looked at over 800 houses....". 800! Can you imagine? Nevermind don't! We might hurt ourselves with brain strain. [/quote

I saw that on HGTV when I was still dealing with these people and thought, oh no that will be this couple...lol.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:34 AM

380 posts, read 2,351,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
I think most Realtors have experienced some "Just Lookers". Many years ago, the Realtors in my office would joke about their weekend Open Houses. "Guess we'll see the ______family this weekend!" This family made looking at houses their hobby, and went to every Open House there was. In this day and time, that wouldn't be allowable, I don't think. Prequalifiying is usually the first step. Am I right? I couldn't imagine people just going to snoop around people's homes at an Open House. I don't sell any more, but am on the other end of the transaction.
Well, maybe they came for the great baked goods you all serve at open houses.

To the OP: How many times has this woman come over? I'm a first-time buyer who needs to look at every corner of the house and really take in the place, but I don't think need more than 2, maybe 3, visits to know if it's the one.

Does this woman have an agent? If so, I'd let the agent know your frustrations so s/he can nudge her to limit her visits and/or make a decision. But you don't want to alienate her, especially if you don't have a lot of other interest. You can also gently suggest she bring a camera and tape measure to help her remember her visits to make it easier on her and her family so they don't have to use so much of their precious time coming back repeatedly.

I also think you should seriously consider getting an agent to help you. Consider, if this woman came over 10 times -- this could be the equivalent of 5 buyers come over twice each. I realize it wouldn't be as frustrating as the same person coming over and over again, but the stress of cleaning/kicking out teens/cats is the same. I imagine it's that much worse to add on top of that having to deal w/ the buyers directly -- I'm guessing a listing agent would be able to handle all the nitpicking by this buyer and not take it personally. That could be a real stress-relief for you to get a 3rd party's help.

Good luck -- hopefully she'll be the one.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:20 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,921 times
I too would like to know how many times these folks asked for showings. IMO 2 visits would be minimum/normal, 3 is understandable if Daddy needs to approve , but 4+ is pushing the envelope. After 4 I'd definitely cut them off and ask them nicely to come back when they're ready to make an offer (you're busy with other showings, aren't you? ) This is exactly the sort of situation where a seller's agent comes in mighty handy. They can be the "bad cop" for you.

I didn't use a seller's agent because I couldn't handle the showings and transaction by myself; I hired an agent so I could be relieved of all the drama. It was enough for me to stay concentrated on work and deal with the usual seller's stresses.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:26 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,645 times
We sold our house last Apr just when the market was really starting to
tank. Our buyers came at least four times, a couple times with friends
and family. I didnt have a problem as we really were anxious to accomodate
them and SELL. The way the market has become is a bit different now.And
I would NEVER sell FSBO. Not in this market. JMO.

Greenchili

Old 05-19-2008, 10:28 AM

110 posts, read 502,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
The media has succeeded in convincing the buyers they are in the drivers' seats (true) but to the extent that buyers, generally speaking, are taking advantage of sellers, thinking they can get something almost free. And, with a home that is not NEW, I'm seeing buyers trying to discredit the property on the basis of age vs. new.......Two different houses, here!

I've shown a property 4 times to the same person, he loved the place, and I thought I had asked all the right questions...He offered about $100,000 less.
I'll be glad when this market recovers......shades of the 70's and 80's
How can a Seller be taken advantage of? Is anyone forcing them to sell their houses. On my next appointment should I bring Weapons. The market is what it is.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:37 AM

9,725 posts, read 14,266,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangelo View Post
How can a Seller be taken advantage of? Is anyone forcing them to sell their houses. On my next appointment should I bring Weapons. The market is what it is.
I should have said "attempting" to take advantage of sellers Sorry, for leaving out that word. What I'm saying is, buyers are asking for everything in the contracts I'm seeing come across my desk.........curtains, seat cushions, swing sets, lawn tractors, etc. I'm surprised they're not asking for the Family Dog!

Of course, all of those tangible items are not a part of the appraised value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate