Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 10:40 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Is that because it is a honeymoon destination?
Honeymooners comprise less than one percent of our visitors.

Lots of couples visit without kids. Many are retired snowbirds who stay several months, then rent their unit out for the rest of the year. Those with kids (or grandkids) let them sleep in the living rooms. Since two-bedroom units often cost more than twice as much as one-bedroom units, some people rent (or buy) more than one unit. Family and friend groups typically rent rows of condos in my building.

Some short-term-rental condominiums here in Maui are entirely studio units. They are essentially hotel rooms with a kitchen, each individually owned. In Waikiki, some don't include a kitchen. They are simply hotel rooms with individual owners.

It is not cost-effective to buy units larger than you usually need due to the high maintenance fees. It makes more sense to buy one unit and rent nearby units when the need arises.

Most of what I've written is about shoreline vacation-rentable condos. There are many condo buildings away from the oceanfront which house local families and are not available short-term. They are typically 2-3 bedrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2021, 11:11 AM

2,480 posts, read 1,551,658 times
We would consider this. It may be far easier to simply rent, but we are inclined to own. It’s a bit of a waiting game right now. Will not be ready for another five or six years.

Old 12-23-2021, 11:34 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Lots of time shares in Destin, but not necessarily known as a honeymoon spot. Florida panhandle is the beach destination of the inland south. Usta be known as the "Redneck Riviera". It's upscale now and not nearly as fun or 'colorful'.
No, I was asking the person who said one-bedroom rentals are the most popular in Hawaii.

But thanks for the info on the Florida panhandle. I didn't know much about it.

Old 12-23-2021, 11:35 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post

Lots of couples visit without kids. Many are retired snowbirds who stay several months, then rent their unit out for the rest of the year. Those with kids (or grandkids) let them sleep in the living rooms. Since two-bedroom units often cost more than twice as much as one-bedroom units, some people rent (or buy) more than one unit. Family and friend groups typically rent rows of condos in my building.

Some short-term-rental condominiums here in Maui are entirely studio units. They are essentially hotel rooms with a kitchen, each individually owned. In Waikiki, some don't include a kitchen. They are simply hotel rooms with individual owners.

It is not cost-effective to buy units larger than you usually need due to the high maintenance fees. It makes more sense to buy one unit and rent nearby units when the need arises.

Most of what I've written is about shoreline vacation-rentable condos. There are many condo buildings away from the oceanfront which house local families and are not available short-term. They are typically 2-3 bedrooms.
Thanks for the response. I've never been to Hawaii, and I likely will never get there, but I know people who have been and liked it. It's a popular honeymoon destination for people I know in the NY/NJ area. Probably because the Caribbean, which is also popular for honeymoons and vacations, is less exotic and only a two-or-three hour plane ride away. And much cheaper!

But if they want a special trip, they often choose Hawaii.

Old 12-23-2021, 02:50 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,551,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post

I’ve always been intrigued by Hawaii, especially the Kapalua area on Maui. I’ve read that Moloka’i is a more affordable option, though perhaps offering far fewer services, restaurants, shopping, etc.

Old 12-23-2021, 09:56 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Beach cottage for $200-$250?

Around here?

Sure, in 1966...

Old 12-24-2021, 09:14 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
My gut reaction is that you have to be nuts to contemplate any kind of rental 250 miles away. Yeah, lots of people make it work. But lots of people get their azz handed to them.

1 - You want to live there at the best time of the year. You want to rent it out at the not so best time of year when there might not be any interest.

2 - You want to rent it out for 6 months or less. That probably puts you in the air bnb category which has it's own set of risks and expenses.

3 - Your insurance company is likely to take a dim view of long vacancy periods.

4 - 250 miles. That's a 4 or 5 hour drive for an emergency. Like Sunday night when the water heater bursts.

5 - If you have to sue somebody, that's multiple weekday trips to court and you don't get compensated for your travel time and costs.

6 - Tenants often turn a place to s-hit over time.
As the owner of a vacation rental an hour and a half away from my home, I concur with pretty much everything about this post.

That said...we find that owning our rental (but not staying in it, provides us with an income sufficient to RENT vacation rentals (VRBO, etc) around the world for a fraction of what we bring home in net profits from our rental. I've never been one to go back to the same place over and over for vacation, so owning a rental but not using it, and having it pay for me to go to many other places, works for us.

Last edited by TheShadow; 12-24-2021 at 09:28 AM..

Old 12-24-2021, 10:00 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I’ve always been intrigued by Hawaii, especially the Kapalua area on Maui. I’ve read that Moloka’i is a more affordable option, though perhaps offering far fewer services, restaurants, shopping, etc.
Kapalua is beautiful but very expensive. I live a few miles away on the same road that passes through it.

Molokai is the most third-world place I've been in the United States. A handful of filthy restaurants and one run-down hotel. I think it would be a grim place for a vacation. Two days was plenty for us.

That said, my condo looks directly toward it from West Maui and the view is beautiful. I can see it as I type this and it's raining there at the moment.

Tomorrow (Christmas day) is expected to be sunny and beautiful. We will be attending a Hawaiian luau with my Hawaiian "family" in the remote Honokohau Valley.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Futuremauian; 12-24-2021 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: Added a fact.

Old 12-27-2021, 09:29 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,044 times
bought a 3BR Villa in Hilton Head Island last year mainly to 'test waters' to see if we wanted to buy house there. Thought we would do STR since we would just vacation there. I'm adjacent to 3 golf courses and tennis/pickle. Beach an 8-minute walk. My first year I did $60k in rentals. I use a property mgmt. company that gets 20% but they handle reservations, maintenance, departure cleaning. I figure 24-26 weeks a year it was booked. I go there as often as I like which is a lot, I just block calendar for weeks I want which are best time of year. Most bookings are summer which is peak rate, and it is most crowded, too hot for me to use then. I have it booked this week thru Apr 2, again not a time I desire. HHI is a 4-hr. drive from my primary residence. HHI has been doing really well during covid, lots of remote workers (and remote schooling) during the off season.

Old 12-28-2021, 04:32 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
bought a 3BR Villa in Hilton Head Island last year mainly to 'test waters' to see if we wanted to buy house there. Thought we would do STR since we would just vacation there. I'm adjacent to 3 golf courses and tennis/pickle. Beach an 8-minute walk. My first year I did $60k in rentals. I use a property mgmt. company that gets 20% but they handle reservations, maintenance, departure cleaning. I figure 24-26 weeks a year it was booked. I go there as often as I like which is a lot, I just block calendar for weeks I want which are best time of year. Most bookings are summer which is peak rate, and it is most crowded, too hot for me to use then. I have it booked this week thru Apr 2, again not a time I desire. HHI is a 4-hr. drive from my primary residence. HHI has been doing really well during covid, lots of remote workers (and remote schooling) during the off season.
Sounds good; I'd happily live there myself in the off season. Where did you find the management company?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate