Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 09:19 AM

946 posts, read 776,992 times

Advertisements

I plan to retire in 1-2 years. I'm fortunate enough to be in a position to buy a one bedroom condo at the beach. Let's say one in the $200-250K range. I realize there are HOA fees as well. Also, I would not wish to do maintenance or work on the condo. I would be paying someone else for that. Condo would be @ 250 miles away, so easily accessible in case something happened. To be even more specific, let's say I estimate I would live there 2-3 months out of the year and rent it 5-6 months out of the year. So 3-4 months it could be vacant. I realize scheduling for rental could be an issue as well. My hope would be that financially it would be no gain and no loss. But is this feasible under the circumstances I've put forth?

I'm curious if anyone has bought a condo at the beach with these plans in mind? I'm sure people have, but the question I have is do they regret doing this? Was it a good idea or bad ideal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2021, 12:41 PM

1,085 posts, read 694,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
I plan to retire in 1-2 years. I'm fortunate enough to be in a position to buy a one bedroom condo at the beach. Let's say one in the $200-250K range. I realize there are HOA fees as well. Also, I would not wish to do maintenance or work on the condo. I would be paying someone else for that. Condo would be @ 250 miles away, so easily accessible in case something happened. To be even more specific, let's say I estimate I would live there 2-3 months out of the year and rent it 5-6 months out of the year. So 3-4 months it could be vacant. I realize scheduling for rental could be an issue as well. My hope would be that financially it would be no gain and no loss. But is this feasible under the circumstances I've put forth?

I'm curious if anyone has bought a condo at the beach with these plans in mind? I'm sure people have, but the question I have is do they regret doing this? Was it a good idea or bad ideal?
No damn clue as to what beach or what the rental rates will be on AirBnb/VRBO etc. don’t forget cleaning fees between renters as well.

More data = better answer

Otherwise. It could work, or you can lose your azz. Or it could be anywhere between those two.

Are you paying cash?
If not, are you going to commit mortgage fraud and purchase with an intent to occupy loan or an investment loan?
Does the complex prohibit STR?
If you have to look up STR stop and don’t do it.
What are the HOAs? I’ve seen everything from $78 to thousands.
Where are you providing furniture and cleaning supplies from?
Which cleaning service are you going to be using? Are they reliable for a quick turnaround?
How are you going to handle keys/access?

Old 12-20-2021, 12:44 PM

6,825 posts, read 11,556,490 times
If I were buying with a view to renting it out, even occasionally, I’d go with at least a 2 bedroom.

Old 12-20-2021, 01:00 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,915,002 times
My gut reaction is that you have to be nuts to contemplate any kind of rental 250 miles away. Yeah, lots of people make it work. But lots of people get their azz handed to them.

1 - You want to live there at the best time of the year. You want to rent it out at the not so best time of year when there might not be any interest.

2 - You want to rent it out for 6 months or less. That probably puts you in the air bnb category which has it's own set of risks and expenses.

3 - Your insurance company is likely to take a dim view of long vacancy periods.

4 - 250 miles. That's a 4 or 5 hour drive for an emergency. Like Sunday night when the water heater bursts.

5 - If you have to sue somebody, that's multiple weekday trips to court and you don't get compensated for your travel time and costs.

6 - Tenants often turn a place to s-hit over time.

Old 12-20-2021, 01:15 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,493,031 times
BACK in the late 80s,those who bought condos/apts /houses on Hilton Head and Mrytle beach,hoping to rent them out to tourists and make the condos pay for itself found out (1) these homes are not as well built as they are not meant to be primary residence(2) you need rental agent to find you renters and they charge a fee plus cleaning plus utilities,tourists came and open all windows,turn on the A/C and left for the beach.
They came back drunk and destroyed the place,when they left,they help themselves with whatever strikes their fancy.
also you have to furnished the place ,and the days which they want to rent are the best days of the season when you wish you could enjoy your condo.
why not be the renter instead of the landlord

Old 12-20-2021, 01:27 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,758,164 times
Blazin

There are condo building management firms/buildings that can rent your condo and block out time for you to use it. That said, if you ever plan on living there full time there are other issues. Living there full time you may not like all the absentee owners, renters, nor the management firm. In any owners association I would want limits on the amount of rentals and length of rentals. Such as no more then 10% renters and no less then a 6 month rental.

Old 12-20-2021, 01:44 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,607,839 times
We have a unit that is managed by an adjacent resort. If we open it up for rentals, the hotel itself manages booking, housekeeping, etc. The unit would be available via the resort's website, alongside normal hotel rooms.

I have investment (long term) rental properties, but I'm not involved enough to do airBNB style.

Old 12-20-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
We have a unit that is managed by an adjacent resort. If we open it up for rentals, the hotel itself manages booking, housekeeping, etc. The unit would be available via the resort's website, alongside normal hotel rooms.

I have investment (long term) rental properties, but I'm not involved enough to do airBNB style.
This is what I had in mind. I thought this was not that hard to plan that the property is available to rent from May-October. And thus I might be there at any time from November-April.

Old 12-20-2021, 02:00 PM

1,085 posts, read 694,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
This is what I had in mind. I thought this was not that hard to plan that the property is available to rent from May-October. And thus I might be there at any time from November-April.
If you do one of those resort/condo exchange things, be prepared for some sticker shock on the HOA fees. And also be prepared for when you do want to live there full time being overrun with tourists all day, every day.

Old 12-20-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
If you do one of those resort/condo exchange things, be prepared for some sticker shock on the HOA fees. And also be prepared for when you do want to live there full time being overrun with tourists all day, every day.
Good Points. I felt like this was probably a bad idea. I just thought I would post to see if I needed to totally kill it. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate