Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 08:48 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,016,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
I took a bunch of pictures of tree, work in progress and so forth...wondering what additional professional explanation needed if any here in my appeal? I told plumber to send me all the pictures he took also. Wish he took more (when pipe removed), but did take one of cross section of pipe removed clearly showing ficus root (about 2 inches in diameter) visibly snaking around in the large section of pipe removed. I actually have about a 3 foot piece of it that he gave to me in the trunk of my car.
It's best if a qualified professional states specifically how that root caused the type and degree of backup you experience instead of you saying it was just because of the rot. Example, you plop a 6 foot section of a 2" root on the HOA desk. But if you have an 8" sewer pipe, guess you can figure out why they would question that the evidence does not support the claim. But if a professional lays out how the restricted flow due to the root's twirling and meandering and how that restriction causes waste to entangle on the root and ultimately creates a blockage because the free flow of water can not longer flush the waste as the drop is not continuous and that causes....... I think you get the drift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 10:06 AM

48 posts, read 29,631 times
We just moved to a gated neighborhood with a very structured HOA.

I have had no previous experince dealing with tis type of organization.All I have heard from friends who have dealt with them is grief.

Anytime I see multiple "boards" packed with many members on them,I get suspicious.

Already I have had a conflict with them.

How many people on these boards truly care about others? My experience serving on "boards" is that most are there for selfish reasons.The decisions are made by one or two very dominant people.

Old 02-08-2022, 01:22 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,758,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabor25 View Post
We just moved to a gated neighborhood with a very structured HOA.

I have had no previous experince dealing with tis type of organization.All I have heard from friends who have dealt with them is grief.

Anytime I see multiple "boards" packed with many members on them,I get suspicious.

Already I have had a conflict with them.

How many people on these boards truly care about others? My experience serving on "boards" is that most are there for selfish reasons.The decisions are made by one or two very dominant people.
What conflict?

Some BOD Members will get on the BOD for selfish reasons. Typically they cannot sway the BOD and they resign. Yes the typical BOD will have just a few doing the majority of the work (In our case 2 of our 5) but the majority of the BOD has to approve.

Old 02-08-2022, 02:19 PM

6,486 posts, read 10,363,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabor25 View Post

How many people on these boards truly care about others? My experience serving on "boards" is that most are there for selfish reasons. The decisions are made by one or two very dominant people.
As a board member in my HOA. I serve my community, not just myself. I know my actions have an impact on the home values of my home and my fellow neighbors. Some of our HOA regulations prevent some folks from placing broken cars on cinderblocks in their front yard, painting their homes in non-conforming colors, doing alterations to their homes without permits and/or possibly negatively affecting their neighbors, cutting down trees without permission, building on community property without authorization. These are just a few examples and I know others can come up with many more examples.

When I joined my current HOA, our community reserves were not properly funded. We started to actively fund those reserves and saw our home values increase. In many cases, banks will not lend to potential buyers if a community does not have adequate reserves.

Old 02-13-2022, 01:06 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,758,164 times
Some years back I was looking at new home construction in two different HOA's. Similar homes, prices, location, etc. Well years later one of those neighborhoods looked like crap. The other, where I bought, looked better then it originally looked. The difference? One had a lackadaisical BOD and they enforced nothing. The other had a stronger BOD and they enforced everything.

Old 07-16-2022, 10:01 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,660,494 times
Update..
.finally won in small claims court and just received the judgment check after a long 10 months! What a hassle! Now need to evenually get that offending tree removed (too burned out at the moment)...so this doesn't happen again! Don't feel like doing any more at the moment..
The legal process takes a very long time to complete.

Old 07-17-2022, 06:43 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,028,400 times
^^^^^^
Congrats!

Old 07-17-2022, 01:48 PM

5,980 posts, read 7,390,056 times
Quote:
Update..
.finally won in small claims court and just received the judgment check after a long 10 months! What a hassle! Now need to evenually get that offending tree removed (too burned out at the moment)...so this doesn't happen again! Don't feel like doing any more at the moment..
The legal process takes a very long time to complete.
Great new, I'm happy for you.

And yes, the legal system wheels can grind slowly, but for the most part they do work as intended.

RM

Old 07-17-2022, 05:22 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times
Quote:
There is a massive mature ficus tree over 40 years old in common area only 4 feet away from sewer pipe in my rental condo. No others that close in entire complex after checking. Unfortunately there was a sewage overflow due to the tree roots getting in pipe...plumber has a picture clearly showing large root (2 inches in diameter) snaking around in there after section of pipe removed. I took other pictures of work in progress/tree and so forth. Had to replace carpeting downstairs with new flooring also. This all happened many months ago. The CCR/bylaws clearly state that "any issues are owner responsibility (unless caused by landscaping)" which supports me. However my reimbursement was still denied due to "evidence provided not consistent with the type of blockage that would be caused by tree roots"?!...will appeal at next meeting...may have to go to small claims court as well if that doesn't work. About 5k expenses to fix all. Anything else that can be done here?

Is frustrating...also wondering if you had problems with your Homeowners Association (HOA) on getting a reimbursement or feel like you have been strung along for way too long when trying to fix a problem?
Still waiting to hear from someone, anyone that says "I just LOVE my HOA." LOL.

On any forum on any part of the interwebs.

(Well, you asked if anybody else frustrated with their HOA...)

So, I'd say just about everybody, LOL

Old 07-17-2022, 06:55 PM

6,486 posts, read 10,363,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Still waiting to hear from someone, anyone that says "I just LOVE my HOA." LOL.

On any forum on any part of the interwebs.

(Well, you asked if anybody else frustrated with their HOA...)

So, I'd say just about everybody, LOL
Since nobody else said it, I just love my HOA. I have lived here since about 2007 and never regretted it. Nothing funny about that. I am serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate