Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 04:17 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,897,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Ha! I had one friend completely replicate my master bath. So, not just "me." Get over it. Some people have superb taste that a lot of people will agree with.
No doubt - my problem is those who don't and the nexus between them and those who believe they know what everyone wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2022, 04:37 PM

7,847 posts, read 3,441,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
No doubt - my problem is those who don't and the nexus between them and those who believe they know what everyone wants.
When I look for something to downsize one I maybe see one or two places a year that have remodeled to specs that might satisfy me. It would be an ideal situation to find another place that has also been overimproved (to soften the blow) otherwise I'm just not leaving.

Old 03-13-2022, 02:05 PM

50,500 posts, read 64,425,260 times
Son is just now in that dilemma. Starter house, new in 2008, that had a long term renter with 4 kids. Now, in order to get a top price, he’s replacing carpet in bedrooms and replacing other flooring with wood, all new paint, a few upgraded light fixtures and some landscaping. Everything will cost less than $10k, but will increase the value by at least 3x that.

It’s a sellers market here, with very little inventory, especially under $300k.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:57 AM

11,020 posts, read 22,076,088 times
Quote:
Of course those remodel people are trying to sell me the house - they are trying to sell everyone the house but they are taking a huge percentage of people out of the mix. Whatever decision they make takes a huge percentage of people out of the mix whether that's to sell completely as is, just clean up, whether to paint, what to paint, whether to change flooring, kitchens, baths and at what level of quality and expense.

I will pay that "top dollar" amount for a house precisely the way I want it and you can't get it there but I can if I buy the house ready to be remodeled.
In response, flippers and renovaters know they can't design a house that's exactly the way everyone wants, because everyone wants different things. The goal is to have it appeal and/or not turn off the majority. So we are marketing to the higher percentage (the group that doesn't want a project house), not the lower the percentage (the group that wants a project house). The remodel should fit the price range of course. Nobody on the thread ever claimed they could make a house appeal to everyone. You're just being ludicrous by even insinuating I or anyone else said anything remotely like that.

Let me just ask you, and the other anti-renovate and repair crowd one question and I'm done with this thread. How much of a discount to you want for a fixer upper that you'll be renovating?

Old 03-14-2022, 08:22 AM

43,509 posts, read 77,510,654 times
From Yahoo Finance....

LOL at the flipper who won't consider living in his own stuff.

Because “We want a house that’s in move-in ready condition," said the 43-year old investor who flips homes for a living. "Good pipes, good electrical, good bones, all brand new."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/first...190450740.html

Old 03-14-2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
From Yahoo Finance....

LOL at the flipper who won't consider living in his own stuff.

Because “We want a house that’s in move-in ready condition," said the 43-year old investor who flips homes for a living. "Good pipes, good electrical, good bones, all brand new."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/first...190450740.html
There are those out there for sure. Funny, because me and the wife are considering moving into the one we're working now. Not a forever home but maybe stay there and cash out on our current residence. I order and inspection before buying, and give it to my contractor and have fix everything on the inspection. When I resell this house it should be one of the cleanest inspections ever. But like everything, flippers come is all shapes and sizes. For me it's not my career though. My career is helping people buy and sell homes and flipping is more of a hobby that I do one now and then.

Old 03-14-2022, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
In response, flippers and renovaters know they can't design a house that's exactly the way everyone wants, because everyone wants different things. The goal is to have it appeal and/or not turn off the majority. So we are marketing to the higher percentage (the group that doesn't want a project house), not the lower the percentage (the group that wants a project house). The remodel should fit the price range of course. Nobody on the thread ever claimed they could make a house appeal to everyone. You're just being ludicrous by even insinuating I or anyone else said anything remotely like that.

Let me just ask you, and the other anti-renovate and repair crowd one question and I'm done with this thread. How much of a discount to you want for a fixer upper that you'll be renovating?
I don't want a discount, I want it priced in recognition of what it is, and I also don't want to spend a dime for the carpet or plastic floor you put into it for the "majority," I'll only be tearing it out. I don't want your gray paint or mulched yard, or any other neutral thing you do to cater to the "majority".

You said "people don't object to new and neutral in general." I do, and I am not alone hence my comment that any of that put into a house I bought would be money wasted.

Old 03-15-2022, 07:08 AM

Quote:
I don't want a discount, I want it priced in recognition of what it is, and I also don't want to spend a dime for the carpet or plastic floor you put into it for the "majority," I'll only be tearing it out. I don't want your gray paint or mulched yard, or any other neutral thing you do to cater to the "majority".

You said "people don't object to new and neutral in general." I do, and I am not alone hence my comment that any of that put into a house I bought would be money wasted.
It wouldn't be money wasted because you wouldn't by the house. You seem to be missing the point that flippers don't care about you or your tastes, because they aren't trying to sell you the home and don't care if you don't buy it. Someone else will, and they will pay for it.

Old 03-15-2022, 04:29 PM

Quote:
It wouldn't be money wasted because you wouldn't by the house. You seem to be missing the point that flippers don't care about you or your tastes, because they aren't trying to sell you the home and don't care if you don't buy it. Someone else will, and they will pay for it.
If there's one thing you have confirmed time after time here is that you are quite fond of generalizing and believe you speak for all flippers. Numerous posters here have shown you do not and have illustrated the diversity of buyers and how the one-size-fits-all approach eliminates many potential buyers.

Old 03-19-2022, 06:34 PM

9,377 posts, read 14,240,656 times
Quote:
What you are saying is that the flipper attempts to appeal to the largest audience possible. Nearly everyone wants clean and easy to maintain. But as for style, new home builders have done their “research”. Those styles sell. But if you are a little more advanced in your preferences or like to play with materials in your own way, then you are stuck finding a bit of a fixer to work on yourself. It will be nearly impossible to find a finished home you like as is.

But because flippers appeal to the crowd, they will always find a buyer when the price is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate