Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 06:41 AM

9,025 posts, read 13,914,458 times

Advertisements

This isn’t to be confused with PMI, but the other type of insurance you purchase on your own. Where if something was to happen to you, the insurer pays the value of your house. I already have life insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 08:00 AM

4,709 posts, read 2,882,880 times
So wouldn't your life insurance be used to retire your mortgage debt by your heirs?

Compare the cost of "mortgage insurance" versus the cost of a standard 20 or 30 year term life policy to the same value, and I'll bet the standard term policy will be cheaper. If so, just do that.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:16 AM

6,868 posts, read 11,671,687 times
The product is called “credit life” and it’s a bad bargain.

You’d have more flexibility with regular life insurance. Credit life simply pays off the mortgage, so the face value reduces each month. Maybe your beneficiary would want to retain the mortgage and use the money elsewhere. Someday interest rates on savings accounts will go up. They could continue paying on that 3% mortgage and invest the insurance proceeds in a 5% CD.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:00 AM

6,361 posts, read 5,018,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
The product is called “credit life” and it’s a bad bargain.

Credit life simply pays off the mortgage, so the face value reduces each month.
Worse, it's typically written with the lender as beneficiary. It's also a single premium policy that is paid for up front so it can never be cancelled. The cost is rolled into the loan so you're borrowing that premium and paying interest on it.

Bad bargain, indeed.

Quote:

You’d have more flexibility with regular life insurance.
"Mortgage insurance" IS life insurance. It's a marketing gimmick by the life insurance industry to get an agent in the door of people averse to buying "life insurance."

You buy a 15 year or 30 year level term for a level premium. The death benefit remains the same throughout the life of the policy. The beneficiary is usually the spouse. The spouse can use the money to pay off the mortgage, make the payments, or do anything else with it.

Quote:
They could continue paying on that 3% mortgage and invest the insurance proceeds in a 5% CD.
Please tell me where I can get a 5% CD today?

Old 03-24-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post

I said “someday rates may go up” not that they were there today. The point being that 3% mortgage will always be 3%, but interest rates on savings may be more attractive later down the road. In the late 70s we had to convince my newly-widowed MIL it was smarter to put her life insurance proceeds into 9% CDs instead of paying off her 6% mortgage.

Old 03-25-2022, 08:44 AM

9,025 posts, read 13,914,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Worse, it's typically written with the lender as beneficiary. It's also a single premium policy that is paid for up front so it can never be cancelled. The cost is rolled into the loan so you're borrowing that premium and paying interest on it.

Bad bargain, indeed.

"Mortgage insurance" IS life insurance. It's a marketing gimmick by the life insurance industry to get an agent in the door of people averse to buying "life insurance."

You buy a 15 year or 30 year level term for a level premium. The death benefit remains the same throughout the life of the policy. The beneficiary is usually the spouse. The spouse can use the money to pay off the mortgage, make the payments, or do anything else with it.

Um,no, payment will be $100/month. I got these notices after refinancing

I already have life insurance btw.

Old 03-25-2022, 11:07 AM

6,545 posts, read 10,500,620 times
I consider these policies not much better than the home warranties discussed in a different thread.

Old 03-25-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Um,no, payment will be $100/month. I got these notices after refinancing

I already have life insurance btw.
Just messing around on the internet, I found a 40 year old male in “good” health could get $750,000 coverage on a 30 year term policy for $120.00/month. How does that compare with what you’re being offered for credit life? Keep in mind the coverage amount won’t reduce, and it makes no difference if you refinance or pay off the loan. You’ll have that coverage for 30 years.

Old 03-25-2022, 04:23 PM

6,909 posts, read 11,306,582 times
Default Imo -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
This isn’t to be confused with PMI, but the other type of insurance you purchase on your own. Where if something was to happen to you, the insurer pays the value of your house. I already have life insurance.
No. Buy life insurance.

Old 03-26-2022, 09:24 AM

6,361 posts, read 5,018,957 times
Quote:
I said “someday rates may go up” not that they were there today.
I know. I was just being a smart aleck. Though I am making 7.12% on a US Government I-Bond.

Quote:
The point being that 3% mortgage will always be 3%, but interest rates on savings may be more attractive later down the road. In the late 70s we had to convince my newly-widowed MIL it was smarter to put her life insurance proceeds into 9% CDs instead of paying off her 6% mortgage.
In the late 70s mortgage interest rates were around 13%. Since hers was 6% I'm guessing she was probably 20 years or so into it. By then the amount of earnings at 9% would have far exceeded the amount of interest she was paying on the balance. So, yes, it was smart to get the CD and not pay off the loan.

Quote:
Just messing around on the internet, I found a 40 year old male in “good” health could get $750,000 coverage on a 30 year term policy for $120.00/month. How does that compare with what you’re being offered for credit life? Keep in mind the coverage amount won’t reduce, and it makes no difference if you refinance or pay off the loan. You’ll have that coverage for 30 years.
One website compares the annual premium for a $50,000 policy. At age 30 it's $375 for credit life and $78 for term life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate