Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2022, 07:32 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,434,030 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why anybody wants to buy a house now! Prices are way , way high for houses. People are even in bidding wars where I live and bid on the same house to try to buy it. Ridiculous, live in an apartment, a nice apartment, until the housing goes down or crashes like in 2008. I feel sorry for anybody buying a home right now, they should wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 07:52 AM

474 posts, read 406,373 times
My mom sold her house in the West University area of Houston in the 1970's.

It was originally purchased for around $37K. She sold it when no one could figure out why anyone would want to buy it for $85K, and decided to rent. The lots alone today go for around $750K-$1 mil.

Who should you feel sorry for?

Old 03-26-2022, 08:20 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Data are your friends

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ation-housing/
Rents are up more than 30 percent in some cities, forcing millions to find another place to live

https://www.zumper.com/rent-research/columbia-sc
Rent Prices, Columbia, SC

Houses for sale are way down from 2008
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MSACSR
Monthly Supply of Houses in the United States

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/26/u...uses-gone.html
Where Have All the Houses Gone?

Last edited by davebarnes; 03-26-2022 at 09:19 AM..

Old 03-26-2022, 10:26 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
I don't understand why anybody wants to buy a house now! Prices are way , way high for houses. People are even in bidding wars where I live and bid on the same house to try to buy it. Ridiculous, live in an apartment, a nice apartment, until the housing goes down or crashes like in 2008. I feel sorry for anybody buying a home right now, they should wait!
If living in an apartment works for you - great! It does not work for us - great as well!

Old 03-26-2022, 10:35 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
But what if housing doesn't go down?

Old 03-26-2022, 10:56 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,558,895 times
Unless if a specific set of circumstances exists in the house’s specific market; housing cost increases are usually permanent, while house cost decreases are usually temporary.

Massive housing shortage these days due to the crash of 08’ and builders (and financial industry that supports them) barely returned, and none went back to building speculative neighborhoods all at once.

No doubt there is a bubble now. Driven by lack of supply and basically free money (relatively speaking). The money will now cost more and thin out the buyer pool, pushing everyone down a notch or two (wanted $1m house today, but won’t be able to afford beyond $800k tomorrow due to interest rate increases). But we’re back to 08’ and the total lack of supply. Demand is so strong now, who knows if 100 people going for the $1m house today will thin down to 50, or 20, or 5. I don’t think it’ll get low enough to push down the price, but likely to push up the time it takes to sell it.

Old 03-26-2022, 03:01 PM

290 posts, read 151,911 times
It's the same here in northwest Arkansas. We moved here at the beginning of 2020 and feel fortunate that we bought just before prices really started escalating quickly. Looking at other homes in the area, I'd say that if we were selling we could easily get 50% more than our original purchase price, and quite possibly a lot more. We keep an eye on the real-estate listings and there are few homes which stay on the market more than a couple of days at the most; many pop up as new listings and are then pending within a matter of hours. The only homes which seem to stay listed for longer periods are real fixer-uppers, very small homes, or something in an undesirable location. Even newly built homes are pending sale before they've been completed. Our realtor contact says that we too have bidding wars going on, with most homes selling for over the asking price.

Old 03-26-2022, 06:19 PM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
My youngest and her husband are in the process of buying a house right now. Luckily, they were able to get a decent rate locked in for 60 days. Of course, the same house would have been $80k less last summer but it is only going to get worse.
There are just not enough houses.

Old 03-26-2022, 06:32 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
If you're selling a house, you're also selling that one "ridiculously high" so - theoretically anyway - it should balance out. Of course, if you're living in an apartment and looking to buy your first house, that's rough.

Old 03-26-2022, 07:12 PM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
A lot of people do think that prices will just keep going up and up, but in my experience, they zigzag up and down. You just have to figure out which way they're headed before pulling the trigger.

We're looking at an area that jumped in the last couple of years, but is now coming back down. Probably won't go as far down as it was at the beginning, but I wouldn't buy now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate