Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 06:39 AM

19,156 posts, read 25,390,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainrunner View Post
I need to know how long a vehicle can be legally parked in front of a property. I just heard of a 72-hours parking ordinance but I don't know if that's nationwide.
Regulations like that are rarely even state-wide. More than likely, local ordinances rule the day in the OP's case, and he/she needs to research his/her municipality's statutes/regulations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2022, 11:53 AM

119 posts, read 233,433 times
Update:

A lot of people seem to think I don't know who the vehicle belongs to. Like I stated in the original post, I do, but I'd like to know the rules and regulations before approaching them about the vehicle. I want to know what I'm talking about before I confront someone about an issue.

Anyway, I contacted town hall, which transferred me to the local police. They called me back to state that the town has no rules or ordinances regarding overparking. The officer asked me for the license plate because the only thing he said they could do is tow it, if the registration was expired. I called back with the license plate and they quickly came to the property. The officer checked the plates. Walked around the vehicle. Peeked into all the windows. And that was all, they drove off, apparently the vehicle was legally parked.

At this point, I'm not even going to bother approaching the individual. What can I say? They're not breaking any laws. It's just super annoying. It's not a small vehicle.

Old 03-29-2022, 12:28 PM

8,577 posts, read 12,443,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainrunner View Post
At this point, I'm not even going to bother approaching the individual. What can I say? They're not breaking any laws. It's just super annoying. It's not a small vehicle.
A good neighbor would move the vehicle if you simply told them that you would prefer that they not park there all of the time. Is it a spot that you would park in?

Old 03-29-2022, 02:51 PM

1,250 posts, read 681,959 times
In my county it's 72 hours.

Old 03-30-2022, 12:31 PM

119 posts, read 233,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
A good neighbor would move the vehicle if you simply told them that you would prefer that they not park there all of the time. Is it a spot that you would park in?

No, I have a driveway.

Old 03-30-2022, 12:41 PM

102,246 posts, read 108,146,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
There is no single parking ordinance for every city, county, state nationwide. This is local and varies even in the same city, depending on the neighborhood. Check with your municipality for an answer. You could experiment by leaving it for a few days and see how long it takes them to tow your car. I don't actually recommend doing this.
Note that it's not the OP's car. He refers to reporting "the offender" taking up parking space in front of the OP's home for weeks.

Old 03-30-2022, 01:00 PM

6,494 posts, read 10,387,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Note that it's not the OP's car. He refers to reporting "the offender" taking up parking space in front of the OP's home for weeks.
And yet, the advice offered would still be the same. Can't edit my original post now unless I was a moderator on this forum and I am not. The highlighted sentence was meant as sarcasm. Thanks anyhow.

Old 03-30-2022, 03:20 PM

880 posts, read 567,654 times
Probably annoying because it's directly in front of YOUR house, and the last thing you want to see when you look out your window is that vehicle.

I get it.

We live in a close-nit neighborhood where all the homes are old Craftsman/Tudor/Queen Anne style homes. Some homes have a garage in the back that you access from a driveway down the side, others have an alley behind them with a garage facing the alley. But all the homes face a main street that allows parking on one side. My house (which has a porch along the entire front) faces a park which is in the center of the neighborhood.

A lot of times, people will just go park directly in front of my house, which makes it difficult to get into the driveway, or they're blocking my mailbox. Either because they're in the park, or visiting someone. I try not to let it bother me, but it's lame to sit out on your front porch and then see a huge car, especially if it's not even a cool one.

Old 03-30-2022, 06:39 PM

10,918 posts, read 7,434,350 times
Friends live in a HOA that prohibits on-street parking. Every house has a 2-car garage and a 2-car driveway. Even so, there are vehicles (often huge pickups) parked on both sides of the streets, often directly opposite each other, so the road itself is reduced to a single lane. It's a real pain having to find a spot to pull over so a car coming the other way can get by.

Old 03-30-2022, 07:56 PM

178 posts, read 136,616 times
Buy junk cars, register and tag them, park them in front of their house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate