Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 06:03 AM

6 posts, read 3,247 times

Advertisements

My house is for sale and under contract by a veteran who works overseas as a civilian the majority of the year. He is purchasing the house to be his primary home when he is home, although he is only home a few months total per year. He has a house in a town next to this one and is going to sell it.

Our home (that he is purchasing) would be occupied by his fiancé, dependent child, (and him when he is home).

My question is, will this situation be permitted? The loan officer is saying they have it verbally approved and this will not pose a problem when going through underwriting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 06:43 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSmith2521 View Post
My house is for sale and under contract by a veteran who works overseas as a civilian the majority of the year. He is purchasing the house to be his primary home when he is home, although he is only home a few months total per year. He has a house in a town next to this one and is going to sell it.

Our home (that he is purchasing) would be occupied by his fiancé, dependent child, (and him when he is home).

My question is, will this situation be permitted? The loan officer is saying they have it verbally approved and this will not pose a problem when going through underwriting.
Based on the info you provided, I see no issues here at all.

Old 03-28-2022, 07:06 AM

Ok. Thank you so much for your response. It did not fly with a conventional loan and has made me very nervous.

Old 03-28-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Ok. Thank you so much for your response. It did not fly with a conventional loan and has made me very nervous.
Why didn't it fly with a conventional loan?

Old 03-28-2022, 07:49 AM

Because he wasn’t going to be occupying for 6+ months out of the year so he could not consider the home his primary home for loan purposes. No exceptions. So they changed to VA at that point and stated that they got prior approval for the occupancy exception (although I don’t know what that means).

Old 03-28-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Because he wasn’t going to be occupying for 6+ months out of the year so he could not consider the home his primary home for loan purposes. No exceptions. So they changed to VA at that point and stated that they got prior approval for the occupancy exception (although I don’t know what that means).
Odd, not sure why it's an issue since the family will be living in the home even when he's away for work. You should have your agent check in with a lender for additional info on this.

Old 03-28-2022, 10:45 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Even if he's not there, his family will be. Issue may be if he's also mortgaged as an owner occupant on the place he's living in the rest of the year, or an issue with the current home mortgage until he sells it. If he's mortgaged as an owner occupant already, this would be a second home.

It's an unusual but not unheard of circumstance, different lenders may decide differently.

Old 03-28-2022, 11:53 AM

He has an agreement with his real estate agent already to list his families current home as soon as this one closes and was pre approved to carry both. But who knows…. It all has my nerves shot.

Old 03-28-2022, 01:24 PM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Odd, not sure why it's an issue since the family will be living in the home even when he's away for work. You should have your agent check in with a lender for additional info on this.
Sounds like he answered the question wrong with the first lender. Pre-pandemic, I knew a lot of people that traveled a lot for work. Technically speaking, they didn't spend 183 nights a year in their own bed. But I don't think that's what they mean when they ask the question.

Old 03-28-2022, 01:36 PM

It sounded like the underwriter of the conventional loan wanted a letter from the buyers employer guaranteeing him home 6+ months. The employer could not do that as it isn’t in the buyers employment contract. Although, he is home way more often than his contract states. It just isn’t guaranteed. So frustrating. I also think if he were married, it might have made it easier. But, for that underwriter, a fiancé wouldn’t cut it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate