Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2022, 09:02 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,341,315 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know about Zillow's bad reputation regarding estimates in all but suburban neighborhoods in which all the homes are about the same size and built within a few years of each other, but I was really surprised by their latest projection in my tourist-oriented community. My community consists mainly of fairly modest to middle-income homes (both year-round and seasonal), but there are about 20 or so multi-million dollar waterfront summer homes, and vacant waterfront 1+acre lots now sell for over a million dollars. There are also five condo communities with condos going for anywhere from about $50k to $900k (depending on age, view and size); most of these are rented for anywhere from a few days to the entire summer. I would guess that there are only about 80 single family homes occupied year-round.

So now all that being said, I was surprised to see that the Zillow "typical home value" for my area is $292,100, which was the exact price that the last single family home sold for, and this was the only single-family house sold in the past three months that was not a condo.

So now that makes me very curious as to how Zillow decides what the typical home value is. Do they just take the number of homes sold during the past three months or so and take an average, or what?

P.S. Btw, the above home sold for 7% over the listing price (which has been typical since last summer), and yet Zillow is predicting a 6% decrease in home prices here for next year. Any guesses as to why that might be? Do you think that Zillow is predicting a recession in which second homes or moving to a rural area will be less in demand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2022, 01:40 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
I suspect maybe zillow pulls values out of a fish bowl. They are to be used for entertainment purposes only.

Old 03-30-2022, 06:05 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,974,961 times
If you look at the fine print, Z has a disclaimer that it's not to be relied on for value and there and there is normally like a 7% +/- margin of error on average for off market houses, or something like that (paraphrased of course).

My opinion only and I have no official stats: In a rural area, I would expect the margins to much larger, maybe 15% +/- or worse.

Old 03-30-2022, 06:12 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
Zillows accuracy depends on how your house compares to the other surrounding recently sold houses in size, acreage, features condition and quality. It is just a computer average. Where it falls apart are places where your house is very unique.

Old 03-30-2022, 08:01 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,551,949 times
We need a zillow sub-forum for people who are losing sleep over zestimates

Old 03-31-2022, 06:38 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
We need a zillow sub-forum for people who are losing sleep over zestimates
Why would I lose sleep? Zillow says I’m rich!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate