Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 04:36 PM

21,953 posts, read 9,528,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
No. The rent is controlled by your locality market so before you buy you will need to get a good idea what it would rent for. I walked away from many good-looking properties because the asking price is too high compared what it can rent out for.

You can do your research through Zillow or simply ask your property manager. He/she should have access to the rental market database.

In general, my quick personal rule of thumb is monthly rent income divided by purchasing price should be greater than 0.8% in today's market. That should get you the ROI in 8% - 12% range.

That is why the rising mortgage rate makes finding a "good deal" difficult. While the rent is capped by the locality, the rising mortgage increases monthly expenses thus reducing the monthly cash flow, making it difficult hitting your ROI target.

Another way is reduce the purchase price but difficult in today's rising home prices.
This.

General rule of thumb...you can make money in real estate via cash flow or appreciation. HIgher priced properties are more likely to appreicate but can be a double edged sword, because when the market turns, you can take a big hit. The cash flow is in lower end properties relative to investment amount.

Also, a big part of making money in real estate is depreciation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2022, 06:04 PM

3,159 posts, read 2,736,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Yeah, I was going to say...
I'm sure my insurance guesstimate is less than 100% accurate as well, but hey....wtf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate