Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,022 times

Advertisements

Greetings All!

Not sure whether this should go here or the Los Angeles forum, but we're currently house-hunting in the valley and I have a question: are houses actually appraising for their selling prices?

You're standard house is going for, oh, something like $100k-$150k over asking price. And everyone seems to be waiving their appraisal contingencies.

I run everything we're eyeing through the online automated value estimators, but things aren't adding up anymore. For example: there's a place listed for $900,000 right now and our realtor wants us to offer over $1M. "Don't worry," she says, "it will appraise for that."

But the online estimators all have it near $895,000.

What gives here? Are appraisers just rubber-stamping the purchase prices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2022, 03:03 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Have you asked your realtor if she's sold houses that haven't appraised and what happens if they don't?

Old 05-08-2022, 03:16 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,591,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moral Ant View Post
No, but many transactions are cash or nontraditional financing, and/or don't have appraisal contingencies. That said, properties are appraising strong from what I've seen. Good luck.

Old 05-13-2022, 11:44 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,955,310 times
Quote:
Greetings All!

Not sure whether this should go here or the Los Angeles forum, but we're currently house-hunting in the valley and I have a question: are houses actually appraising for their selling prices?

You're standard house is going for, oh, something like $100k-$150k over asking price. And everyone seems to be waiving their appraisal contingencies.

I run everything we're eyeing through the online automated value estimators, but things aren't adding up anymore. For example: there's a place listed for $900,000 right now and our realtor wants us to offer over $1M. "Don't worry," she says, "it will appraise for that."

But the online estimators all have it near $895,000.

Appraisers go by $/sq. ft., and local market trends. You can probably do your own due diligence using Zillow/ Redfin on "recently sold homes" to see if your purchase will appraised. Online estimator can only go with HISTORIC DATA but can not include the upward trend.

Recently I bought a home offering 10% over asking. The Seller agent even included a contingency that if the house is not appraised at the offered price, I would pay the difference. I agreed. This is also a rural property so not many homes for comparison. ALL the online estimators listed it below the offered price as well.

The appraisal came back just slightly above the offered price.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:05 AM

577 posts, read 662,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Appraisers go by $/sq. ft., and local market trends. You can probably do your own due diligence using Zillow/ Redfin on "recently sold homes" to see if your purchase will appraised. Online estimator can only go with HISTORIC DATA but can not include the upward trend.

Recently I bought a home offering 10% over asking. The Seller agent even included a contingency that if the house is not appraised at the offered price, I would pay the difference. I agreed. This is also a rural property so not many homes for comparison. ALL the online estimators listed it below the offered price as well.

The appraisal came back just slightly above the offered price.
Appraisers don't use $/sf and using sold homes on Zillow/Redfin only provides a small piece of a very large picture.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:41 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,894,516 times
Quote:

They are, if they expect to stay in business.

My last house appraised at exactly the sale price and I've had that happen several times in the past 4 decades.

Didn't you know that the loan appraisal system is fixed?

Old 05-15-2022, 10:13 AM

577 posts, read 662,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
They are, if they expect to stay in business.

My last house appraised at exactly the sale price and I've had that happen several times in the past 4 decades.

Didn't you know that the loan appraisal system is fixed?
If that was true, then all appraisals would come in at purchase price, which they don't.

Number hitters stay in business in the short term, during booms. When the market slows, they're the first to go out of business.

Old 05-15-2022, 10:50 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,955,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigW View Post
Appraisers don't use $/sf and using sold homes on Zillow/Redfin only provides a small piece of a very large picture.
I have had more than 8 appraisals done on my properties. I know how appraisal works.

Old 05-15-2022, 10:56 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,543,384 times
Quote:

No. Realtors are optinistic and are thinking in terms of wishful thinking. While there ARE appraisers out there that would do that, but they won't be in business much longer.

And those automatic valuations methods you see on line line are inaccurate because they are based on an entire neighborhood with no regard to condition and other attributions.

Old 05-15-2022, 10:57 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,543,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I have had more than 8 appraisals done on my properties. I know how appraisal works.
They don't work that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate