Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 04:25 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,282,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Gotta admit some of you landlords are funny. Especially the 4 yr white house. But it’s all a difference in perspective. You may Know you are an honest landlord but potential renters may not have a lot to go on about you.

But here’s an idea. Why not give every renter the Landlord’s same information? Exchange credentials. Exchange social security numbers. Exchange last 3 addresses etc.

And here’s another suggestion. Landlords can charge $40 application fees then wait until they get 50 applicants. Take their top five and run those credit and felony checks. For that you get a good tenant plus 45x40 = $1800 you don’t actually spend . Every little bit helps! Just kidding. Sort of.

Wish in one hand and you know what in the other... When you are putting up your assets worth hundreds of thousands of dollars in the hands of another person then you will have a valid reason for having all the personal info of that person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 04:38 PM

9,366 posts, read 14,179,063 times
For all of you assumptionists: I did own a rental property in the distant past. Things were much simpler then. I and others just went with a gut feeling and a quick check with their claimed employer. Of course there was still a lease and a security deposit for which I opened an interest bearing escrow account.

I have read up on local rental laws in a couple of states to see the breadth of approaches. For example in California pretty much the first financially qualifying tenant you interview must be allowed to rent it with little exception. Otherwise it’s discrimination. But Ca is considered a tenant friendly state because of that. Others states might be considered more landlord friendly. Which way does your state lean?

Old 07-28-2022, 04:45 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,282,565 times
Quote:
For all of you assumptionists: I did own a rental property in the distant past. Things were much simpler then. I and others just went with a gut feeling and a quick check with their claimed employer. Of course there was still a lease and a security deposit for which I opened an interest bearing escrow account.

I have read up on local rental laws in a couple of states to see the breadth of approaches. For example in California pretty much the first financially qualifying tenant you interview must be allowed to rent it with little exception. Otherwise it’s discrimination. But Ca is considered a tenant friendly state because of that. Others states might be considered more landlord friendly. Which way does your state lean?

To a landord they are all tenant friendly.

Old 07-31-2022, 04:38 PM

13,723 posts, read 12,499,897 times
Quote:
Gotta admit some of you landlords are funny. Especially the 4 yr white house. But it’s all a difference in perspective. You may Know you are an honest landlord but potential renters may not have a lot to go on about you.

[b]But here’s an idea. Why not give every renter the Landlord’s same information? Exchange credentials. Exchange social security numbers. Exchange last 3 addresses etc. [b]

And here’s another suggestion. Landlords can charge $40 application fees then wait until they get 50 applicants. Take their top five and run those credit and felony checks. For that you get a good tenant plus 45x40 = $1800 you don’t actually spend . Every little bit helps! Just kidding. Sort of.
I’m not a landlord.
But I do know the golden rule ain’t what was taught in elementary school.
It’s that them that have the gold, make the rules.

Old 07-31-2022, 06:23 PM

8,285 posts, read 8,694,725 times
Quote:
Real estate purchase data on public sites do not include social security identifiers do they? Or publication of drivers license data, or the names of relatives. Or birthdates. They just record the transaction data. Amount paid. Mortgage.
Names and birthdates of relatives can be found on Ancestry.com.

Old 07-31-2022, 07:10 PM

6,499 posts, read 10,409,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Not always. I am adopted and none of my adopting family members are listed.

Old 08-03-2022, 05:55 AM

6,499 posts, read 10,409,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
BTW: That information is only listed if it is set up in your/their profile by the user. Ancestry.com doesn't get that information on their own based on DNA results. When I setup my profile, I chose not to post my phone # or address. So, that is not always true.

Old 08-04-2022, 10:02 PM

10,380 posts, read 6,944,708 times
Any LEO can get your shoe size from your IP address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate