Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2022, 12:40 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,386,387 times

Advertisements

"A new score, labeled “FiPHO,” has been introduced to help buyers and homeowners evaluate a condominium, co-op or homeowner’s association. FiPHO, which stands for Financial, Physical and Operational health, is a score from one to 100 that provides a snapshot of the association and its work ..."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ne...143760de8ea338

SOURCE: The Washington Post (via MSN)

It will be interesting to see how "effective" this new HOA scoring system will be.

Thankfully, I have gotten some great tips and advice from this forum in regards to purchasing a condo & home in a HOA.

Best advice I got: Check the financial records...ALWAYS. This helped me dodge a financial bullet when I attempted to buy my first condo several years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 07:15 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,250,205 times
Interesting concept. I passed on a WaPo gift link to our condo manager. He's a very proactive, very forward looking individual.

Yes, finances are key, as is a strong board and GM.

Thanks for sharing!

Old 07-21-2022, 08:06 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,250,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris1 View Post
"A new score, labeled “FiPHO,” has been introduced to help buyers and homeowners evaluate a condominium, co-op or homeowner’s association. FiPHO, which stands for Financial, Physical and Operational health, is a score from one to 100 that provides a snapshot of the association and its work ..."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ne...143760de8ea338

SOURCE: The Washington Post (via MSN)

It will be interesting to see how "effective" this new HOA scoring system will be.

Thankfully, I have gotten some great tips and advice from this forum in regards to purchasing a condo & home in a HOA.

Best advice I got: Check the financial records...ALWAYS. This helped me dodge a financial bullet when I attempted to buy my first condo several years ago.
Unless I missed something this appears to be an ad for the purchase of said report and other condominium documents.

Old 07-21-2022, 08:20 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,250,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Unless I missed something this appears to be an ad for the purchase of said report and other condominium documents.
I went to the source, the Washington Post article. It looks like it comes from a reputable association group. But I could be mistaken.

Old 07-21-2022, 10:59 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,250,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I went to the source, the Washington Post article. It looks like it comes from a reputable association group. But I could be mistaken.
Yes, it's a reputable organization but I went to the same article and followed the links and tried to pull up a copy of a blank report but at that stage looked like I'd have to pay to proceed.

Old 07-21-2022, 11:58 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,275,075 times
The problem with _any_ type of "score", is that the value tends to be quite opaque and if one doesn't have a good feel for what goes into the score, then it's easy to be mislead (intentional or not).

My favourite example is the "grade" that our local school district gives to schools. It turns out that one of the factors of that grade are the schools resources for students that face learning challenges. Fair enough, but I've communicated with countless parents who fixate on choosing a school with a "high grade", but what should be clear is that the parent of a student who is self motivated and high achieving has a very different set of criteria than a parent of a child that might have special needs. Those parents of high achievers may therefore pass on a school that grades B (instead of A+) when the factor that is causing the school to get the B is their lack of support of kids with special needs.

So it's an interesting concept, but I'd be highly skeptical unless I knew exactly what the criteria for the score was _and_ I knew what the population of those participating (voluntarily or not).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate