Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 08:19 AM

35,102 posts, read 31,367,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Relocate the un, under and no longer employed?
Get the deadwood out of the jobs & housing equation.
How?

When people are poor, they don't have much savings. Many have few job skills, and won't find work in one area while living in another. Some are locked into the social safety nets where they are at.

Until the pandemic, housing in my part of Tennessee was slow-moving. It might take months to sell a place, and there was no guarantee that you could sell it for what you want. Housing appreciated slower than inflation.

The issue isn't easy to solve. The labor force for the "jobs of tomorrow" is well-educated and diverse. These kinds of people typically don't want to live somewhere like I do - a 90%+ white, low educational attainment, small city in Appalachia that's hours away from anywhere of consequence. The best and brightest young people typically move off and don't return. Top talent generally won't want to live in a place like this. There are no jobs for them anyway. Top companies won't move here because there isn't the labor force or educated population. Catch-22. There's some out of area interest for telecommuters and retirees, but not enough to move the needle on a lot of things.

I'm a Millennial. I'll be 37 in a few months. I work in IT. The only draw to this area was a low cost of living. That's not that true anymore - the prices here aren't really any lower now than regional mid-sized metro competitors, almost all of which offer more amenities, a better job market, and more to do than where I am.

I switched jobs last month. I work for a local government in western NC. I can live up to two hours away from the city. I'm already paying NC state income taxes, so the lack of income tax in TN is no longer a factor for me. Knoxville, TN, Asheville, Greenville, SC, and potentially even Charlotte are all in play. All of these areas are just superior in every way compared to where I am, and when choosing properties carefully, only Asheville is notably more expensive.

There's a reason younger people leave this area. There's not much of a social scene for the younger folks who are here, especially if you aren't religious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2023, 09:10 AM

34,109 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
How?
Ha! Those 40,000 questions come later. Much later.
First step is a general consensus that we do in fact the over population problem.
There are a LOT of people who don't want to even mention the topic.

Old 02-07-2023, 12:52 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,834,900 times
Quote:
Ha! Those 40,000 questions come later. Much later.
First step is a general consensus that we do in fact the over population problem.
There are a LOT of people who don't want to even mention the topic.
We do not have an over population problem... the reality is just the opposite.

Old 02-07-2023, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
We do not have an over population problem...
We have had an over population problem since 1980.
The ONLY questions are in the calculations: does it come to 1million or 100million.

Old 02-07-2023, 02:57 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,834,900 times
Quote:
The ONLY questions are in the calculations: does it come to 1million or 100million.
. Although the U.S. is the third largest country in the world, it has a fairly low population density and in 2017, the U.S. birthrate was the lowest in thirty years, which is well below replacement level. In fact we already have a 700,000 work force shortage and in 10 years it will be in the millions.

Some cities maybe over populated, but the nation as a whole, is not. Now if you think this is a subjective issue for yourself, then that's what you 'feel', but the reality is ... we do not have an over population issue.

Old 02-07-2023, 03:27 PM

1,075 posts, read 560,246 times
Quote:
The 1/3 of the population that can't do for themselves...
That number is more like 14%, not 33%. That's at least according to SNAP recipients.

I'm not really convinced that 33% of the population is sitting on their bum and can't do for themselves. Do you have any sources for those figures?

Old 02-07-2023, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Birth rates in the U.S. have been declining since the 1970s.

Old 02-07-2023, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
Birth rates in the U.S. have been declining since the 1970s.
It's not about birth rates. It's about the raw number of warm bodies which is NOT going down.

Old 02-07-2023, 07:11 PM

50 posts, read 33,626 times
Most people under age 50 have never been married today either. There are now more single people in America (and many different countries) than ever before in history. So not only are parents still having to pay their adult children's bills, the adult children are also choosing not to marry. Many don't want kids either. That is their choice and there is nothing wrong with that, but I am wondering if the cost of life is the main problem. Was very different years ago, but I would say this has slowly been progressively happening more and more each decade since the 1970's...we are just now seeing it in a larger form because it is becoming more and more normal now.

Old 02-07-2023, 08:20 PM

Quote:
It's not about birth rates. It's about the raw number of warm bodies which is NOT going down.
According to the U.S. Census, the U.S. population is around 334 million. That's a 7.4% change from 2010. Furthermore, population growth is declining.

What do you propose is "peak population"? How did you come to that conclusion? What are your sources to support this contention?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate