Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2023, 05:38 PM

827 posts, read 591,055 times

Advertisements

R.E. question from resident of Oregon.

In anticipation of selling my house in the next year or two, I took out a HELOC for pay-as-you-go work. Much of what need doing is finished and when it is complete, I'd like to convert the HELOC into an actual loan so the interest rate doesn't keep going up. Is that a good idea?

Speaking of working needing to be done, I contemplated replacing our 17-year old carpets prior to listing the house. For awhile the upstairs smelled funny because we had cats who sometimes missed the litter box.. There is a faint resonance so the carpets have to be replaced regardless. Should it be done prior to putting the house on the market? Should I offer a "carpet allowance" to replace them? Should I say nothing and leave them alone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2023, 05:52 PM

23,411 posts, read 19,043,313 times

In anticipation of selling my house in the next year or two, I took out a HELOC for pay-as-you-go work. Much of what need doing is finished and when it is complete, I'd like to convert the HELOC into an actual loan so the interest rate doesn't keep going up. Is that a good idea?

Talk to lenders about pros and cons of converting. We don't know the details of your current arrangement.

Speaking of working needing to be done, I contemplated replacing our 17-year old carpets prior to listing the house. For awhile the upstairs smelled funny because we had cats who sometimes missed the litter box.. There is a faint resonance so the carpets have to be replaced regardless. Should it be done prior to putting the house on the market? Should I offer a "carpet allowance" to replace them? Should I say nothing and leave them alone?

How long before you plan to list? Have you cleaned the carpets yet? How well will those rooms show? Cat pee is a pretty big turn off. Even if the odor isn't strong, it implies the house may be neglected in other ways. If the "resonance" will be noticeable to potential buyers when they walk in the rooms, replace the carpets/padding before you list. Have friends or a neighbor walk through. You may be nose blind to how strong it is, and you can't predict how sensitive someone's sniffer might be. IMHO, if someone would really need to get on hands and knees to detect it and the carpets are otherwise presentable (no stains, damage, stretched, etc.), maybe the allowance would be enough to make up for it. Cat pee isn't always confined to the carpet or pad. It can absorb into the subfloor!

Somehow I suspect you already know the answer to this question OP!

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-04-2023 at 06:30 PM..

Old 08-04-2023, 05:52 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,011,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
There is a faint resonance so the carpets have to be replaced regardless. Should it be done prior to putting the house on the market?
YES

I can think of few things worse than walking into a house that I am interested in buying, and getting hit with an unpleasant odor. Where is it coming from? So the homeowner or listing agent tells me, don't worry, it's just the carpet - you will get a carpet allowance at closing so you can replace the carpets.

NO

1. I don't want to have to do the work. I don't want to have to measure, and go shopping for an estimate, and then be there when the installers come.... Most others won't want to do that either, tho TBH, some people will like that fact that they can get exactly what they want.

2. How do I know it's really the carpet? B/c that's what I am told? How do I know it's not something else? How do I know it's not the sheetrock, or worse - the studs? How do I know it's not the flooring under the carpet? I don't. No go for me.

Do yourself a favor, and have the carpet replaced, and get rid of the odor. It will be an easier and quicker sale.

Good luck.

Old 08-05-2023, 07:13 AM

34,133 posts, read 83,145,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatOwner
There is a faint resonance so the carpets have to be replaced regardless.
I suspect that to a NON cat owner that 'resonance' is much more pronounced.

Old 08-05-2023, 08:14 AM

19,456 posts, read 27,916,217 times
Quote:

You're going to keep this HELOC for less than a year, correct? I'm GUESSING the interest you might save by switching it to a fixed rate loan is so insificant that it's not worth your time and energy.

Yes, change the carpet. Be sure the cat pee hasn't gotten into the cement below the carpet, and treat that cement. It probably has gottent into the cement in those areas that were regularly splattered.

Old 08-11-2023, 04:47 PM

4,415 posts, read 4,933,621 times
Quote:

17 year old carpets are gross whether they smell or not. I would get the carpets cleaned/deodorized and offer a flooring allowance. If you install new flooring a buyer doesn't like (it happens more often than people realize) they may factor in the replacement cost into their buying decision. Personally, I have always hated carpet because it's only truly clean when its brand new. The house we currently live in had new carpet in 3 bedrooms when we bought it and I ripped it out and replaced it with vinyl flooring before we moved in. A flooring allowance means the buyer gets to choose the flooring of their choice, and that makes the home more "theirs". Or maybe they will live with the nasty cat carpet and spend the money to fence in the backyard or whatever, at the end of the day they have a resource for customizing the purchase the way they want it.

One time we were touring homes for sale and found one that was perfect- except for the pink carpet. It was practically new but so bad I couldn't see myself living there. We crunched the numbers to see what it would cost to replace and it made the home unaffordable so we passed on it.

Old 08-13-2023, 07:06 AM

9,895 posts, read 7,785,241 times
Definitely replace the carpet with something basic and neutral. I don't want to know there ever was a cat peeing in the house. Cleaning is not enough.

Old 08-15-2023, 12:09 AM

429 posts, read 1,149,626 times
I recently sold a house in similar condition. I chose to replace the carpet throughout the house. It didn't cost much, about $4 a square foot for removal of old flooring and installation of new pad and carpet. New carpet looks good even when it's cheap. We got multiple offers and sold the house quickly. No regrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate