Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2023, 08:37 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times

Advertisements

This is a question/comment about online photo ads and the way photos are being digitally processed.

When I look at sites like zillow and realtor as a consumer, things like the flooring inthe images are actually turning me off. I don’t know if I should ignore my impressions because the sight would be different in real life, or just pass over a lot of listings because the image is accurate.

For example, a lot of flooring looks like wood that is dark red in color and highly reflective with almost white reflections in front of windows or under ceiling fixtures or can lights. The floors are colored like old fashioned cherry or mahogany wood furniture but super shiny in addition.

As someone who thinks floors should be subdued and not dominate the room design, I am turned off by the pictures. BUT maybe this is a trick of photography like editing phone pics to be “warmer” etc.

What do you listing agents say. Is this just a photo style? Are floors actually more subdued?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2023, 11:00 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Don't believe or rely on anything you see in real estate ads. The pictures are fake. It's called virtual staging where they show you what the place could look like after you sink money into rehab. Other pictures are taken with special lenses that make everything look bigger. Any real pictures are enhanced.

If you see anything in an ad that fits your parameters, go see it, and look it over carefully.

Do your due diligence and verify anything you are "told" by anybody about the property.

Old 08-26-2023, 12:09 PM

Thanks. The difference in my example is it makes me Dislike the home.

Are they shooting themselves in the foot? Or just hoping to win over a special demographic.

Old 08-26-2023, 12:41 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
This is a question/comment about online photo ads and the way photos are being digitally processed.

When I look at sites like zillow and realtor as a consumer, things like the flooring inthe images are actually turning me off. I don’t know if I should ignore my impressions because the sight would be different in real life, or just pass over a lot of listings because the image is accurate.

For example, a lot of flooring looks like wood that is dark red in color and highly reflective with almost white reflections in front of windows or under ceiling fixtures or can lights. The floors are colored like old fashioned cherry or mahogany wood furniture but super shiny in addition.

As someone who thinks floors should be subdued and not dominate the room design, I am turned off by the pictures. BUT maybe this is a trick of photography like editing phone pics to be “warmer” etc.

What do you listing agents say. Is this just a photo style? Are floors actually more subdued?
If you mean the effect of making the paneling in a 70s single-wide look like the hardwood paneling in a rustic hunting lodge, the name of the effect is HDR - or “high dynamic range”.

And yeah - it probably doesn't really look like that in person.

Old 08-26-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks. The difference in my example is it makes me Dislike the home.

Are they shooting themselves in the foot? Or just hoping to win over a special demographic.

I think they're making a mistake. Either way, you don't want people thinking "this doesn't look anything like the photos in the listing.

Old 08-26-2023, 12:53 PM

I googled around and found this, as an example.

https://shef1.com/real-estate/scotts...ottsdale-home/

No surface in that house really looks like those pictures.

Old 08-26-2023, 01:19 PM

Yikes! That example is the most extreme that I have seen.

The photographer probably had fun doing it but the possibly lovely home looks scary.

The pool looks dyed and the wood is way too “varnished”. The tile and pavers are extreme. No thank you.

Old 08-26-2023, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Yikes! That example is the most extreme that I have seen.

The photographer probably had fun doing it but the possibly lovely home looks scary.

The pool looks dyed and the wood is way too “varnished”. The tile and pavers are extreme. No thank you.

Even the spilled milk dripping down the back of the cabinets is in HIGH DEF!

Old 08-26-2023, 02:07 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
There is only one photographer in my market who does that overly sharp "artistic interpretation" of the actual home. I know for me, I use a photographer who accurately represents the home because having buyers walk into a house and saying it isn't as nice as the photos isn't a good thing to actually sell the house. It needs to look like the house.

With the market sales being off, I am seeing iPhone photos again as I hadn't seen those for a while.

Old 08-26-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
There is only one photographer in my market who does that overly sharp "artistic interpretation" of the actual home.

We have one who makes the grass way too green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate