Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 09:53 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
ok so if I don't trust YOU then I'm paranoid and generally a difficult person ? that sounds narcissistic

totally fair that you should not work with someone who does not work with your team , let it be known upfront so nobodys time is wasted
So, if I am annoyed and you are annoyed, are we a paranoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2023, 09:55 AM

1,299 posts, read 849,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
So, if I am annoyed and you are annoyed, are we a paranoid?
we agree that we are not a good fit

no second dates

Old 09-01-2023, 09:58 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
As the old song used to say...Tomato, tomatoe, Let's call the whole thing off...

Old 09-01-2023, 10:00 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
150 hrs at $150 an hour ? ? arent we being too optimistic here ?

nurses and medical assistants make how much ?
how much does an average joe marine gets paid
you dont have to be self employed
RE agents can be hired by big firms and heavily regulated that is how we will get more accountability

lets start with say $20/hr
LOL.
Fail. Total fail.
Do nurses, med assistants have paid holidays and vacations, retirement plans, medical insurance, use their personal vehicles for work daily, pay for their own computers, office supplies, cell plans, E&O insurance, social security and medicare?
Do they make more than "Joe Marine," which is a total red herring in intelligent discussion of the topic.

And.... You should probably do more homework to gain some practical life knowledge and skills.

Yes, you do have to be self-employed in most of the markets in the USA to be a real estate agent. If one gets a draw on a salary, that will come with the requirement to cover that draw with closed sales, whatever it takes. "Close or get fired." Marge Simpson model, which you apparently suppport....
Yes, you can find desperate agents from sketchy companies who would rather work cheap and get paid every week because they are broke and lack confidence. Why would a careful consumer select such a person rather than someone with skills and a track record?

$20/hour?
You don't always "get what you pay for," but a $20/hour real estate agent will likely deliver on that price. Caveat emptor on that one.

Old 09-01-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
LOL.
Fail. Total fail.
Do nurses, med assistants have paid holidays and vacations, retirement plans, medical insurance, use their personal vehicles for work daily, pay for their own computers, office supplies, cell plans, E&O insurance, social security and medicare?
Do they make more than "Joe Marine," which is a total red herring in intelligent discussion of the topic.

And.... You should probably do more homework to gain some practical life knowledge and skills.

Yes, you do have to be self-employed in most of the markets in the USA to be a real estate agent. If one gets a draw on a salary, that will come with the requirement to cover that draw with closed sales, whatever it takes. "Close or get fired." Marge Simpson model, which you apparently suppport....
Yes, you can find desperate agents from sketchy companies who would rather work cheap and get paid every week because they are broke and lack confidence. Why would a careful consumer select such a person rather than someone with skills and a track record?

$20/hour?
You don't always "get what you pay for," but a $20/hour real estate agent will likely deliver on that price. Caveat emptor on that one.
LOL @ "skills" what exactly are we talking about here ?

so its my fault that you are self employed and not an employee , why should I have to pay for your business expenses ?

if there was more transparency in this field and RE professionals not being gatekeepers of MLS then we might not have this issue

the whole business model needs an overhaul

I don't think you should arrogantly disparage your colleagues less successful than you as "broke or lack confidence" , just bad practice.Maybe they are too conscientious to sweet talk someone into a sale.

Old 09-01-2023, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
As the old song used to say...Tomato, tomatoe, Let's call the whole thing off...
I agree
as a said earlier I'm sure there are a lot of conscientious , hard working and honest RE agents who are doing the best they can within the system. But systemic changes are what is needed to improve transparency and accountability in this field.

I apologize if I hurt any RE agents /professionals feelings that was not my intention I just get irritated when genuine concerns are raised by people they get silenced by cliched blanket statements

Old 09-01-2023, 11:27 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Eh... What skills would impress a guy like you? From what I see, bootlicking comes to mind. Yeah, that is outside my areas of expertise.
No one ever minded when I steered them away from houses with wet crawlspaces, in flood plains, with obvious structural damages, etc.
No one ever minded when I pointed stuff like that out so they saved time, and money on EMD, DD Fees, inspections, appraisals, and not to mention other properties sliding by when they were engaged in a loser.
No one ever minded when I got them a house with an offer thousands below what they were willing to pay.
No one ever minded when contract forms were completed competently, with appropriate dates and dollars which lent confidence to the other side of the table.
Everyone likes to say, "...attorney...." I represented plenty of attorneys who appreciated what I did. Some even referred me to family members.

"Skills" help an agent gain the position of helping clients with 4, 5, 6, 7 transactions, because they earn that business with effort and skills.
Integrity, skills, experience, all are huge contributors to agent success, and you appreciate none of those attributes.

Quote:
so its my fault that you are self employed and not an employee , why should I have to pay for your business expenses ?
Free life esperience note:
You bring "revenue," regardless of the business model.
"Revenue" pays all the business expenses. All of them. Private business is not the government with unlimited printing presses and tax revenue.
If you prefer to work with a firm or a small businessperson whose revenue fails to cover the business expenses, you prefer bankrupt and shuttered vendors.
Not exactly a pathway to success. Better to engage a winner than a loser, methinks.

I preferred to be self-employed. Loved it. But, revenue paid all my bills, just like any other successful business.

Quote:
if there was more transparency in this field and RE professionals not being gatekeepers of MLS then we might not have this issue
What do you need to have more transparent?
And, you DO know that REALTORS created and own the vast majority of MLSs in the USA, right?
Further, if you want to invest as REALTORS did, there is nothing to keep you from putting on your big boy panties and competing with a better, more "transparent" MLS system.

Quote:
And, you mentioned one possible overhaul, which you cannot get for free, so you don't like it?

I don't think you should arrogantly disparage your colleagues less successful than you as "broke or lack confidence" , just bad practice. Maybe they are too conscientious to sweet talk someone into a sale.
Ahhh....
So, it is OK for a poorly informed consumer to troll agents, not trust agents, but not for an agent who has met more other agents than that consumer ever will meet to speak truthfully about issues in the industry?
Because you want 'transparency," but only if it supports your lack of knowledge?
Got it.
Yet, earlier, you said one of the valid reasons for an agent to prefer not to work with some other agent or other service people was if they had experience with them. Again, I have met more real estate agents than you ever will, and I know plenty of bums.

Old 09-01-2023, 12:41 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
...given most working class people house purchase is a big deal for them, not for investors i understand ] oh yeah many RE agent are RE investor too
And yet you suggest starting at $20/hr on another thread. I hope that's a joke. You want agents to be on call, and work the crappy hours we do on evenings and weekends when you're available, spend the time we do on learning and making it a better process at $20 an hour? No thanks. You're a clueless idiot if you think this is reasonable for what we do and deal with.

What is many? I'd say some REA are also investors, not many.

Quote:
My conclusion is unless the commission is taken out of the equation the trust will not fully develop, I do think RE professionals provide a great service and should be rewarded well for their efforts however just as we stay away from commission based financial planners , same way we should have a healthy degree of skepticism when it comes to commission based RE professionals.A fee based model is best.
There's enough threads on here about models. Not getting into that again, but a bad apple will do bad things regardless the model. It's a shame you don't recognize that. Most people think about how they would act if they had the option to do something. I find most people that assume the worst are simply projecting their own morals and code of conduct onto others. I believe most agents are good people that truly try and look out for the client as best as they can. However, the gap is more along the lines of knowledge and experience than it is intentions.

Quote:

also kind of disappointed with defensive attitude of many RE professionals here , clearly I'm trying to keep my views a nuanced as possible but when an agent is showing more red flags than a communist party rally than I feel vindicated in how I feel.
Anyway, you'll see things how you see them. In the land of the witless, the half wit is king. I'll leave you to your kind moving forward.

Old 09-01-2023, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
LOL.
Fail. Total fail.

$20/hour?
I'll bet I could guess Dad01's profession, but I won't say it out loud.

Old 09-01-2023, 12:46 PM

Quote:

I don't think you should arrogantly disparage your colleagues less successful than you as "broke or lack confidence" , just bad practice.Maybe they are too conscientious to sweet talk someone into a sale.
Name someone that you hire or something that you hire or rent that you don't cover business expenses, even if it's wrapped up in the purchase price and not charged seperately? What transparency would you like? Every dime we earn is listed on the ALTA. Every fee or commission we earn has to be on a contract and disclosed before we are paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate