Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:18 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,859,424 times

Advertisements

If its that cluttered dont even bother putting it up - you should start each day with a room - throw out what you dont want - if you have as much as you say, get a dumpster and start throwing it out out out - 23 year olds and a mess?? I can relate....tell them they have one week to clean it up or you will go in...then go in...period - hopefully they work during the day..

percieved value on a home is very important - even if it would look great later, people will not consider that.

Ask for 24 hour advance showings and go for a ride with the dogs...

expensive things should never be left out period.......

good luck!! but get rid of the clutter everywhere - less is much much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Also, how am I going to keep it clean all the time...I'm not a great housekeeper, and have two extra large dogs, not to mention the 23 year old twins whose rooms are total disastrous messes. It makes me want to go sit on the couch and watch tv....Too overwhelming. How do people do it? Also, should I rent a storage facility to keep all of the extra 22 years of accumulation? What do you do with your valuables when people are walking through your house, looking through all the closets, and god only knows what else, if they are the nosey types? I guess we need to box things up, and tape them, for privacy reasons. Thanks again. Take Care. Tambre
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 03:28 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,152,017 times
Default Timing is everything--clutter is the enemy

Hi everyone,

I called the realtor back, and postponed the contract signing until next Wednesday. I think that having to sign the contract in the near future has helped make me "sit on the hot dime" and really focus on what needs to be done. All of your advice on here has also helped enormously! I am sort of afraid to ask about the termination clause, though it needs to be discussed. Sort of like a prenup. Kind of puts a different focus on the realtor/realtee relationship.

One of our clutter issues is that my husband's dad died three years ago, and we have all of his stuff from 45 years accumulation in his house, boxed up and stored in our basement...sentimental reasons for my husband, which I totally understand. My husband is a bit of a pack rat...comic books from his childhood, every tool known to man stored in the shed, but he has been taking weekly trips to the dump, so there's hope!!!! Of course, I am a perfect neat freak (not even close!) It's just that my stuff all has a purpose, and is totally justified, lol. It's those other family members, really, really!

Logically, it makes sense to have the certificate of occupancy in place. We have had two comparative market analyses, and the asking price decreased by $10,000 in this softer market and the average days on the market is 100. The minimum was 10, the maximum was/is 284, and the median was 81. They rotate advertising through about 7 newspapers and real estate books. They also have internet advertising. Is there anywhere else they should be advertising? It is through a well known group, hint: they wear gold jackets in the commercials.

Anything else that should be considered? You are all a true wealth of information and your opinions and advice are extremely helpful. Send me some prayers for the energy to get the elbow grease warmed up.

Tambre

Old 06-11-2008, 06:53 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,152,017 times
Default Listing starts tomorrow for six months.

Okay, Wish us Luck, we just listed for six months. We are asking a little higher than what the realtor suggested ($10,000) higher .... so we could come down somewhat. Not sure if that's the right move or not. My husband decided on the higher price. The realtor came and took pics of the house (kitchen, dining room, living room, both bathrooms, and outside shots). The bedrooms and the basement are where all the clutter is. Due to having two extra large mutts, we asked for 24 hours notice for showings. Once I am not working during the summer, I can be on-call to spruce things up quickly. The realtor said that only one home of a similar square footage has sold since January in our school district. Hey, if the right buyer comes along, it will sell, and until then, there is really not too much to worry about. Now, where is a good place to store all the stuff?

Old 06-11-2008, 08:51 PM

10,971 posts, read 22,008,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I would never sign for more than 6 months but with my experience I would sign for a shorter period and extend it when you are satisfied...
If you knew it took a 120 days to cross the desert and I gave you 90 days worth of water would you make the trip?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate