Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 02:55 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorcarajo View Post
I understand and agree with the thesis that Californians sold their million dollar homes and moved to places such as Austin, TX, bidding a typical suburban home from $400k to $700k because they could, but who bought all those million dollar California homes? And why did it happen during the 2021-2022 period? For the national (not just some trendy area) median home price to surge by 50% in two years, there’s some massive capital that needs to be mobilized. Where did it come from? Foreigners? Americans with savings? Central bank printing?
I've certainly wondered the same things. If people/corporations are buying up houses to rent, how does the average person even afford the rent on a million+ dollar house? And I get that *some* people are moving away from California and other high COL areas. But so many that home prices nearly everywhere have soared??

I know that for a long time, the general rule of thumb was to expect 4% annual appreciation on a home. I've moved a lot, bought and sold numerous homes. Sometimes we achieved that 4% appreciation, other times we were lucky to break even on our purchase price (not even including seller's costs). Thank goodness we bought our retirement home in 2019. Based on nearby recent sales, our home value is up about 65% since we bought it 4 years ago.

We're doing fine, with no plans to move, but i sure feel bad for the younger people trying to buy a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2023, 06:54 PM

7,566 posts, read 3,248,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Oh I know, but it does mean shysters.
Many people with multiple pieces of real estate keep each one in a separate LLC for legal reasons. Nothing sinister is at play. It has to do with the legal protections of an LLC. Each property stands in its own legal entity.

Old 10-22-2023, 08:16 PM

112 posts, read 84,023 times
It was a dadgum perfect storm.

Old 10-22-2023, 10:54 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trb247 View Post
that's my guess.

Old 10-23-2023, 04:38 AM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trb247 View Post
Sometimes a short and simple sentence like this says it better than a full-blown thesis.

Old 10-23-2023, 06:02 AM

45,393 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
In my old hood just about every home sale said something like “John Smith to Birch Drive LLC”…
Believe it or not there are numerous buyers who plan on living in the house who set up an LLC to buy it. Apparently there are tax benefits to it, or at least ones that haven't been declared illegal yet. But, the owner can't claim a homestead exclusion, at least here in Maryland, if they own it through an LLC. That nailed a couple people I know when the new assessments skyrocketed their property tax bills.

Old 10-23-2023, 06:41 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Believe it or not there are numerous buyers who plan on living in the house who set up an LLC to buy it. Apparently there are tax benefits to it, or at least ones that haven't been declared illegal yet. But, the owner can't claim a homestead exclusion, at least here in Maryland, if they own it through an LLC. That nailed a couple people I know when the new assessments skyrocketed their property tax bills.
If I am not mistaken, the opportunity to claim depreciation on the property lets them kick the tax can down the road for years. Works nicely if you expect a lower tax rate in the future.
Of course, then at some point when the property is transferred, the depreciation will be recaptured.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d...nrecapture.asp

Old 10-23-2023, 07:09 AM

45,393 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If I am not mistaken, the opportunity to claim depreciation on the property lets them kick the tax can down the road for years. Works nicely if you expect a lower tax rate in the future.
Of course, then at some point when the property is transferred, the depreciation will be recaptured.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d...nrecapture.asp
You're more conversant with the process than I am. I just enjoyed listening to them ***** and moan about a 20% per year assessment increase over the next three years, especially because it came so soon after they figured they'd outsmarted everyone. Turned out they only outsmarted themselves.

Old 10-23-2023, 09:26 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Many people with multiple pieces of real estate keep each one in a separate LLC for legal reasons. Nothing sinister is at play. It has to do with the legal protections of an LLC. Each property stands in its own legal entity.
Totally shysters. Convince me otherwise.

Old 10-24-2023, 12:55 AM

1,538 posts, read 1,483,810 times
What comes up must come down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate