Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 12:15 PM

43,356 posts, read 77,229,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
No.

The presence of a basement, walk out or not, is mostly a function of your geography and irrelevant to the what you'd call the house.

Turn it around and think of it this way: The house I grew up in is a 2 story Colonial Revival. Where it is, it has a full basement. If you built the house in Dallas TX, you wouldn't have a basement at all. Across the street, a very similar home has a finished walkout basement because the lot slopes. It's still a 2 story colonial revival.

My .02 a ranch is a house where all the living space is on the same plane. Finished or not I wouldn't consider the basement in the equation, no different than the garage or carport.
Yessir!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2024, 08:09 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,540,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Your points are very much location and local market specific.
Our local market in the Southeast differs widely from yours.
Ranch houses on concrete slabs or crawlspaces are not at all uncommon here. There are some basements, but they are not at all the rule in any style of home.

Sunken living rooms, a bizarre pox on common sense in design, are not uncommon here in 1970's, 1980's, and 1990's houses, whether one or two stories.
Yours is local market specific also.

FULLY HALF of the US is in the East.

Sunken living rooms were not popular in the 70s and 90s. It was the 40s through 60s. Originally am Art Deco feature, it morphed into an MCM feature. It added some drama to the layout.
In certain areas, it took away any "modular - mobile home"

My father's last house in North Carolina had a raised dining room. One step up. It is still a ranch.

My great aunt's Manhatten apartment built in the 30s, had a sunken living room. It was NOT a "doplex".

Also, the Southeast IS in the Eastern part of the United States.

Old 01-10-2024, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

FULLY HALF of the US is in the East.

Sunken living rooms were not popular in the 70s and 90s. It was the 40s through 60s. Originally am Art Deco feature, it morphed into an MCM feature. It added some drama to the layout.
In certain areas, it took away any "modular - mobile home"

My father's last house in North Carolina had a raised dining room. One step up. It is still a ranch.

My great aunt's Manhatten apartment built in the 30s, had a sunken living room. It was NOT a "doplex".

Okey-Dokey.

Old 01-10-2024, 01:00 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,381,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
WOW, I never knew that !! All this time living in Florida for over 50 years, I always thought I was on the West coast.

Old 01-10-2024, 01:30 PM

4,578 posts, read 2,719,802 times
Look, it's all a bunch of marketeering terms anyway.

"Ranch" generally means one story, long low and sprawling (which is why those pokey little double-wide-looking things up in New England aren't "Ranch" style to me, but try to tell a real estate agent that).

Cape Cod cottage, center entry colonial, saltbox, Minimal Traditional, these all have generally accepted meanings. But if you have a one story house and you're trying to figure out "is it ranch style or not" - you've probably been hoodwinked by the giant real estate marketeering industry into thinking it matters. It doesn't.

Old 01-10-2024, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
WOW, I never knew that !! All this time living in Florida for over 50 years, I always thought I was on the West coast.
Tell us about your basements!

Old 01-10-2024, 05:34 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,381,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Tell us about your basements!
Here in Florida, we usually consider them indoor swimming pools.

Old 01-15-2024, 10:18 PM

11,813 posts, read 12,055,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Look, it's all a bunch of marketeering terms anyway.

"Ranch" generally means one story, long low and sprawling (which is why those pokey little double-wide-looking things up in New England aren't "Ranch" style to me, but try to tell a real estate agent that).

Cape Cod cottage, center entry colonial, saltbox, Minimal Traditional, these all have generally accepted meanings. But if you have a one story house and you're trying to figure out "is it ranch style or not" - you've probably been hoodwinked by the giant real estate marketeering industry into thinking it matters. It doesn't.
Long, low and sprawling, exactly what I think of when it comes to ranch style.

Here in Ontario, they are bungalows. If you enter on a landing with a few steps up or down, it’s a raised bungalow.

Old 01-17-2024, 07:02 AM

13,717 posts, read 12,468,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
Long, low and sprawling, exactly what I think of when it comes to ranch style.

Here in Ontario, they are bungalows. If you enter on a landing with a few steps up or down, it’s a raised bungalow.
To me, a Bungalow implies a roof covered porch and often dormers in the roof/attic. Where I grew up (Chicago) it was typically raised in that you stepped up to the porch. The house had a basement but the main level was probably two-three feet above grade.

Old 01-21-2024, 05:44 AM

10,344 posts, read 6,891,570 times
To me, a "rancher" resembles a double-wide. About 65-70 feet long. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate