Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 09:05 AM

1,408 posts, read 749,061 times

Advertisements

I would add a generous yard. It pains me to see rows of houses being built right on top of each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2024, 09:06 AM

14,967 posts, read 9,794,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Build with a few things in mind.....wide hallways/doorways/curbless showers, etc.....in other words, think handicapped accessible. Reason being that life can and will change in the blink of an eye!
The big one is ... no stairs.

Last edited by Dave_n_Tenn; 01-17-2024 at 09:45 AM..

Old 01-17-2024, 09:34 AM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I want a roomy laundry room adjacent to the bedrooms.
Definitely, a pull out trash and recycle cupboard.
Counters and toilets that are custom heights for tall people.

Old 01-17-2024, 10:53 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Build with a few things in mind.....wide hallways/doorways/curbless showers, etc.....in other words, think handicapped accessible. Reason being that life can and will change in the blink of an eye!
I just look at curbless showers as a Lazy Man's Hack.
Makes so much more sense than stepping over a curb.

Old 01-17-2024, 11:06 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,367,852 times
Before you talk about amenities, think about this:

Making changes or modifications to plans and designs now is cheap and you’ll pay for it over the mortgage. Make those changes later on and they’re out of pocket and far more expensive, if at all possible. For example:

Was building a new house in FL with a pool and cage. There was very little space on the deck on the far side, like maybe 18”. Looking at this on the plan, then also looking at a model, we realized if the deck was kicked out another 18”-24” it would make a lot more room to move around the pool and that would also be additional living space. It added about $2k to the cost of the home. To do it after the fact would have cost big $$ to add to the deck/slab and expand the screen enclosure.

Good luck! I’ve built a number of houses, and every one has been a rollercoaster, but it’s always been worth it, mainly because you end up with what you want.

RM

Old 01-17-2024, 11:25 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,047,257 times
I would add any options that make the garage bigger.

If there are options to add more hose bibs I would do this.

We have a conditioned attic (the attic is inside the insulation envelope) in our current house, which is something I really like. While a house can later be converted, it's more cost effective to do it during the build.

If it makes sense (usually in bigger houses), have the hot water plumbed for recirculation using a pump.

Add more air returns if it's an option. Our current house has a air return in most of the rooms, including all of the bedrooms, which I expect helps maintain an even temperature throughout the house.

Someone mentioned bigger roof overhangs. I think this is a great idea, although I don't recall ever seeing this as an option for tract housing.

Old 01-17-2024, 04:40 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Irrigation automated

Old 01-17-2024, 04:42 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Was already mentioned, but a 240V outlet capable of charging an EV for every garage bay and one outside.

Hot and cold running water in the garage, ideally with a big stainless sink and a hose to allow one to spray themselves, boots or equipment off if particularly muddy.

If feasible for the lot, a pull through garage (one that has a door on front and back.) Makes boats/trailers as well as lawn equipment a breeze, as well as cleanout of the garage.

I don't have an EV but have passed on a couple of great deals on powertools that required 240.

Solar panels. I think they make sense if you're building new, along with a host of other (mostly mentioned already) energy saving measures.

Easy-to-access shutoffs for every bathroom in the house, and a convenient and easy whole house shut-off.

Old 01-17-2024, 05:18 PM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Before you talk about amenities, think about this:

Making changes or modifications to plans and designs now is cheap and you’ll pay for it over the mortgage. Make those changes later on and they’re out of pocket and far more expensive, if at all possible. For example:
You do realize that anything you finance with your mortgage you'll end up paying 2 to 3 times the apparent price over the term of the loan?

Put as little as possible on the mortgage. Pay cash for everything you can.

Old 01-17-2024, 05:23 PM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
You do realize that anything you finance with your mortgage you'll end up paying 2 to 3 times the apparent price over the term of the loan?

Put as little as possible on the mortgage. Pay cash for everything you can.
We use same as cash financing for many home improvements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate