Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 09:41 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times

Advertisements

There was a quite extensive one built near me recently, multiple stories, garage, several bump-outs. I don't know who the GC was, or what happened, but the house it was to replace, which was an old sharecroppers house, was demolished one day, the modules were delivered a couple days later and sat for several months while site prep and the foundation was completed. Then the modules were put together and it again sat for several more months before build-out was done.

I would personally hesitate to take ownership of it after all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 09:57 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,952,791 times
I'm in Southern NJ. I know everyone is claiming a housing shortage, but we've had more new builds in our area in the last 3 years compared to the last 15 years combined. It's mostly people either buying up empty lots or even buying small homes, knocking them down, and building much larger in their place. None have been modular that I've seen.

What we really have is an epidemic of apartment complexes. In a 10 mile radius we've had like 6-7 very large apartment complexes with retail stores on the first floor go up. It has to be upwards of 10,000 doors.

I can only assume these are people from NYC and Philly who can either work remote, or only go to the office 1 day a week who've had enough of shoebox apartment city living.

Old 02-21-2024, 04:11 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
There was a quite extensive one built near me recently, multiple stories, garage, several bump-outs. I don't know who the GC was, or what happened, but the house it was to replace, which was an old sharecroppers house, was demolished one day, the modules were delivered a couple days later and sat for several months while site prep and the foundation was completed. Then the modules were put together and it again sat for several more months before build-out was done.

I would personally hesitate to take ownership of it after all that.
That's poor planning for the delivery to happen before the foundation is ready.
I saw one being built over the summer. Looked like everything was tyvek wrapped so not sure sitting out for some time period would be fatal, you see it with site built homes.

My Grandfather had a Wausau (a modular builder in Wisconsin) home for his cabin way back around 1980.

Basically my Dad described it coming with walls on a flatbed and setting them on the foundation and they had the frame up in a day and the roof trusses on the next day and the roof on the day after that.

Old 02-21-2024, 07:49 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
I haven't seen any modular homes in my area. There are manufactured homes that are on rented lots in trailer parks. While I in no way look down upon those who make their homes in trailer parks, it's a very precarious way of life. At any time, the property can be sold out from under the manufactured homeowner.

Relocating an older mobile home into an existing park is nearly impossible.

Why are modular homes are different in my eyes. Very different. While we were in North Carolin about 17 years ago, returning from a vacation in Myrtle Beach on our kids' Spring vacation we took some by ways and back roads. Which ones, I cannot tell you.

We passed some beautiful new homes that attracted our attention. My DH thinks it may have been North of Wilmington.

Both of us were curious. We had never seen a modular home so we decided to take a look. There were three models, and all of them were absolutely beautiful. We were stunned by their seemingly good construction and attention to details such as hardwood floors, wainscotting, well planned kitchens with granite counter tops.

To us, they looked no different from stick-built houses.

While the house did not include the property, they were incredibly affordable. The dealer had connections to realtors who had land for sale.

Some states have restrictions on these homes, but there did not seem to be many - or any - restrictions in NC.

Since many younger first-time would-be buyers are struggling to come up with down payments, why aren't modular homes more popular? Why are some people opposed to them?

I think society in, in a broad sense, more positive and stable when people own their own homes. Permeance and pride in ownership are just two advantages to home ownership over renting.

Why are we NOT seeing modular home comminties in our neighborhoods?

Old 02-21-2024, 11:34 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
I've seen two modular homes. One was about 15-20 years ago. They have a regular block basement built and had the pre built home placed on it. It seems to me he said it came in two sections and put together on site with some small amount of finishing done to get it all together. I did notice that the walls were not sheetrock but the board stuff with a vinyl type of wallpaper with seams covered with stripes, typical of mobil homes.

My niece just purchased a pre manufactured home that was probably 10 years old or so. It has sheetrock, really nice oak cabinets. It was placed on a poured basement foundation with garage in the basement. It does have a small livable area in the basement that is unfinished where furnace water heater and washer dryer is. There are obviously different levels of quality in manufactured homes.

Old 02-22-2024, 02:21 PM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
I don't know how to call this VERY tiny home that is posted for sale in San Antonio, but it features 1 bdrm, living room, kitchen and bathroom - all on 175sqft.
Kitchen, dining room and living room EACH 25sqft at $857 per sqft.
No inside pictures, sadly, but here is a street view:
424 N Chupaderas St
https://maps.app.goo.gl/gAKFaS1NQC8XvSkU9
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M81535-00764

More tiny homes in my town:
https://www.businessinsider.com/tiny...-debate-2024-1

Old 02-22-2024, 02:39 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't know how to call this VERY tiny home that is posted for sale in San Antonio, but it features 1 bdrm, living room, kitchen and bathroom - all on 175sqft.
424 N Chupaderas St

I call it "Repurposed Garden Shed". I'm curious how it passed local building codes (not Zoning).

Never mind, I see it's in Texas. The lot's almost big enough for the landowner to call himself a "rancher".

Old 02-22-2024, 07:49 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
424 N Chupaderas St

The ones shown in San Antonio are similar to park model mobile homes. I've seen some at some RV parks in the south that people live in year round but lease the space.

https://www.rvtrader.com/Minnesota-P...Minnesota%7CMN

Old 02-29-2024, 09:24 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Why are modular homes are different in my eyes. Very different. While we were in North Carolin about 17 years ago, returning from a vacation in Myrtle Beach on our kids' Spring vacation we took some by ways and back roads. Which ones, I cannot tell you.

We passed some beautiful new homes that attracted our attention. My DH thinks it may have been North of Wilmington.

Both of us were curious. We had never seen a modular home so we decided to take a look. There were three models, and all of them were absolutely beautiful. We were stunned by their seemingly good construction and attention to details such as hardwood floors, wainscotting, well planned kitchens with granite counter tops.

To us, they looked no different from stick-built houses.
For all intents and purposes, they really aren't that different than stick built homes. From what I understand, after the house is finished, even a builder would be hard pressed to tell the difference. And they are "stick built" in the sense that they're framed the same as a house that's site built. The difference is that they're assembled in pieces in a factory. In theory that allows for better quality controls and better consistency. The floors, the sheetrock, the finish carpentry, the cabinets, are all largely done similarly to a sitebuilt house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
While the house did not include the property, they were incredibly affordable. The dealer had connections to realtors who had land for sale.

Some states have restrictions on these homes, but there did not seem to be many - or any - restrictions in NC.

Since many younger first-time would-be buyers are struggling to come up with down payments, why aren't modular homes more popular? Why are some people opposed to them?
I don't think the cost savings are quite as significant as you might think, and the transaction itself is a bit more involved especially for a first time homebuyer. But I do know people that have bought (or were gifted) land from their parents (farming families, mostly) that have had them put up.

Finding the right buildable lot, in an area that I wanted to live, then go through the permitting process (perc tests, etc.) would be a lot for a first time homebuyer.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:10 AM

179 posts, read 297,072 times
If we were in the market for a new house, I would certainly consider manufactured homes. This also applies to building a house on already owned land. Just the speed of putting everything together on site was amazing to me.

Sheena12, our friends who bought a land in north Wilmington did exactly what you described about 3-years ago. I asked then why they were building a new home and they said it was hard to find newer homes in that area that fit their finances and their likes. So for them, it was cheaper and faster to buy a land and have manufactured home built there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate