Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 12:02 PM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
That second link is the best history I have ever read of that base. Anyone thinking of buying a property there, pay particular attention to the pictures of those empty basement foundations. Those are on the West side of the former base, close to the highway. Those houses have not been torn down. The wind has literally blown them away. I guess the windows blow out first, next the doors blow out, then the rest of the house just blows away piece by piece, until the basement is all that is left. There must be some weird wind tunnel effect in that area. I don't think anybody would want to live in that area at any price. Which probably explains why that part of the base was completely vacant even when my family lived there in the early 1970s. I can recall crazy strong winds on the other side of the base were we lived, but at least it wasn't strong enough to blow the house away.

You have to be prepared for some miserable cold weather to live there. I was born in North Dakota, which was just as bad. So I didn't know anything else, when I lived there. I would never want to go back to that type of climate again.
Reminds me of Adak, AK, where a plaque on the wall over the door of the airport's reception center said, "Where the winds blow and frendships grow!"

Most of the original structures are gone now due to the constant winds and climate.

RM

Old 03-19-2024, 12:11 AM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
+1 Cloudy Dayz, the video & your personal history at St. Marie/Glasgow are really interesting, I definitely learned something new.

Last edited by CalWorth; 03-19-2024 at 12:25 AM..

Old 03-19-2024, 03:53 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
+1 Cloudy Dayz, the video & your personal history at St. Marie/Glasgow are really interesting, I definitely learned something new.
Thanks. I didn't mean to derail the OP's thread or anything. But when it comes to a supply of cheap homes in a rural area, I don't think anything can beat St. Marie, Montana. For both price and sheer number of them.

Old 03-20-2024, 06:59 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
I saw that SD was advertising in an attempt to recruit people. I am actually going to take a look at it myself. Currently in KS, not caring much for the changes here.

Some talk about cloudy days, but I prefer that to pollution, as at one time, we lived just outside of Tucson, AZ. Most people in the bigger city don't even go outside so not sure why the weather would be a top priority!

In the smaller KS towns, a lot of people work to flip houses, the older person dies and the house needs updating........ We bought a small fixer upper in a small KS town about 20 years ago, and became debt-free. After that we moved up and up and up. If one can do the work themselves, it is a great savings.

Many are going back to DIY everything with the help of YouTube videos, and saving a bundle!

A lot of people prefer rural life, and don't realize the options.

Old 03-20-2024, 08:04 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I saw that SD was advertising in an attempt to recruit people. I am actually going to take a look at it myself. Currently in KS, not caring much for the changes here.

Some talk about cloudy days, but I prefer that to pollution, as at one time, we lived just outside of Tucson, AZ. Most people in the bigger city don't even go outside so not sure why the weather would be a top priority!

In the smaller KS towns, a lot of people work to flip houses, the older person dies and the house needs updating........ We bought a small fixer upper in a small KS town about 20 years ago, and became debt-free. After that we moved up and up and up. If one can do the work themselves, it is a great savings.

Many are going back to DIY everything with the help of YouTube videos, and saving a bundle!

A lot of people prefer rural life, and don't realize the options.

I have a friend whose husband started buying houses in western Iowa, he is rehabbing them & plans to keep them as long-term rentals. I don't know anything about Iowa except that, like the Dakotas, there are a lot of places that were agricultural & are no more, so maybe it's another place to look.

Tucson, AZ is polluted?

Old 03-20-2024, 11:34 PM

44,346 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Most of the posts in this thread were or are off-topic; some were personal attacks. I've deleted quite a few irrelevant or inappropriate posts. The thread is now closed.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate